Changing up my work out routine and can use advice (soreness etc)

Options
kimber0607
kimber0607 Posts: 994 Member
edited July 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi

Ive been at this for about 3 months now, and havent been impressed with my results..my goal is to tone up
My plan now is to work out 5 days a week/ 2 rest days...
When I work out it will be for an 1 hr 15min-1hr 30min max...high intensity cardio mixed with 3 pound weights.....pushing the intensity and my limits until Im huffing and puffing and sweating...LOL

I started just last week and I am sore.....my question is even if I am sore, should I push to do 5 days a week or as my body acclimates to the intensity, take another rest day
any other suggestions welcomed :)

thanks Kim

Replies

• jiujitsudad15118
    jiujitsudad15118 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Good debate. I say stick to it. Stretch afterwards, drink plenty of water, and EAT! Next thing you know those 5 days wont be so bad. But, if youre pushing yourself hard youll stil be tired and fatigued (thats my mindset anyway)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    High intensity 5x per week is a recipe to plateau early, and isn't sustainable for most people.

Is there some kind of exercise you enjoy?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    "3 pound weights" - are you rehabbing from injury?
    If not, what are you doing with them and why?

Your suggested routine doesn't sound at all attuned to your stated goals if I'm understanding what you mean by toning up.

If your goal was to improve your higher intensity CV fitness then it might be somewhat of a match.

Soreness is a really poor indication of effectiveness.
  • kimber0607
    Options
    CRAP..thanks for all the suggestions...my newly revamped plan that I sent a lot of time coming ups with seems to be not such a hot one...
    I appreciate the honesty though because I don't want to spin my wheels for nothing

To sum it up..Im 46...I have never worked out in my life..never played sports/Im lacking in coordination-dash clumsy
    I'm 5'8 and about 136 (comfy size 6)

I decided just a few months ago that I wanted to improve my health and gain/retain muscle/tone up (arms/stomach/legs)...
    I don't know if its my age, couples with what im doing or not doing. Im not toning up the way I had hoped, or expected
    I count cals...aim for around 1500-1600 a day (since im not looking to loose weight and have been working out)

I don't go to the gym
    I have weights at home, a treadmill, and have been using videos/youtube
    How the heck do I come up with a plan to achieve my goals?

Thanks again..appreciate the advice..Kim
    (I added a pic to my profile from 2 weeks ago at my daughter's elem school graduation....my most recent pic...excuse the bad hair..it was about 100 degrees here in the NE and nasty nasty humidity..LOL)

• NorthCascades
    Options
    When people say "tone" what they usually mean is achieved by losing weight, enough to get rid of any fat covering their muscles.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    kimber0607 wrote: »

I don't go to the gym

I do a lot of cardio - because I have very high cardio ambitions. That's kind of what I mean by picking a routine to match your goals.

No gym - there's a lot you can do at home.

Weights at home - they need to be one hell of a lot heavier than 3lbs (sorry!), you need to challenge your muscles if you want to get stronger and eventually grow. Don't be afraid of heavy weights.

How the heck do I come up with a plan to achieve my goals? - Would suggest a proven bodyweight routine would be far more effective than what you have been doing and a good start.
    Here's a useful link - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

BTW - it's not your age, it's the training you have been doing.

I'm 68 and I endorse this statement!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

I don't go to the gym

I do a lot of cardio - because I have very high cardio ambitions. That's kind of what I mean by picking a routine to match your goals.

Weights at home - they need to be one hell of a lot heavier than 3lbs (sorry!), you need to challenge your muscles if you want to get stronger and eventually grow. Don't be afraid of heavy weights.

How the heck do I come up with a plan to achieve my goals? - Would suggest a proven bodyweight routine would be far more effective than what you have been doing and a good start.
    Here's a useful link - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

Doubling down on it, 59 here. Long story kept short, I wasted a lot of time doing things my way. Pick one of those programs Sijomial linked and try it. If you don't like it try another. There are also some solid, free choices online like fitnessblender - they have a good deal of free content tailored towards specific goals.
  • kimber0607
    Options

I don't go to the gym

Got it!
    Thanks appreciate the advice/feedback...will check out the link as well
    back to the drawing board :)
  • kimber0607
    Options
    When people say "tone" what they usually mean is achieved by losing weight, enough to get rid of any fat covering their muscles.

Im not really sure but I guess I def want definition w out looking bulky/super muscular which is why I was sticking w 3 pounds..tp be honest since im new at this....some of the moves, Im ashamed to admit, where a little difficult with 3 pound weights
  • kimber0607
    Options

I don't go to the gym

Maybe I was using age as a lame excuse
    great job by the way!!!
  • mmapags
    Options

Im not really sure but I guess I def want definition w out looking bulky/super muscular which is why I was sticking w 3 pounds..tp be honest since im new at this....some of the moves, Im ashamed to admit, where a little difficult with 3 pound weights

If only it were easy to get bulky...(sigh) That won't happen without a lot of focused dedicated work. Increasing the weights will develop and shape your muscles without adding bulk. As a woman, it is hard to add bulk or muscle mass.
  • NorthCascades
    Options

My physical therapist time me to do a particular exercise that's difficult to do with an empty cup. There's no reason for embarrassment.

When I was younger, people had a lot of different words to describe basically pretty similar looks, and we're adamant about you have to train one way to achieve this a a different way for that, your reps have to be the right number, etc etc. It took me too long to realize that people just like making things complicated. You're getting great advice in here.
  • mmapags
    Options

I don't go to the gym

great job by the way!!!

Thanks. Honestly, I just mostly ignore my age when it comes to fitness. I don't a weight lifting program PHUL. I work out 4 days per week. The only difference age has make is that I can't add muscle mass as easily and I have to manage my loads and my recovery better than 30 or 40 years ago.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

It isn't easy or quick for women to get bulky/super-muscular looking: Developing more muscle mass is quite slow . . . on average slower for women than men, slower for older than younger, etc. Of course, there's some genetic variation as well, but there's no one for whom the process is really fast.

In fact, it's so slow and gradual that you probably don't need to worry about it: You won't suddenly wake up one morning with bulky muscles. If you weight train, and reach a point where you're happy with your look, you'll have plenty of time to recognize that and switch to a maintenance routine.

And don't worry about what your starting weight is: Lifting heavy weights just means lifting weights that are heavy to you, in some particular lift. It seems likely to me that even if your strength is limited, there are probably some exercises where the 3lbs is already too easy to be a challenge unless you do a huge, time-consuming number of repetitions. Different exercises require different volumes of weight, because some muscles are bigger and stronger than others.

Futher, weight training does other wonderful things for us as we age: Strength is a significant part of what keeps us indendent and high-functioning in our later years, and weight training helps reduce women's risk of the osteoporosis that's a major risk to health and even life. And that's not even mentioning how useful strength can be in daily life!

Don't be afraid. :flowerforyou:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,058 Member
    Options

I don't go to the gym

ETA:

great job by the way!!!

Age is just age, not a barrier in itself. I'm 63. You're practically still a kid. ;)