To those on 1,200 cals..

Options
Hi everyone. To those on MFP with a cal intake of 1,200 per day.. do any of you eat under your cals most of the time? I was honestly doing that for almost 3 months but wasn't trying to purposely stay under, I would just feel full I guess or was satisfied with my cals each day.

I know I should be at least staying at 1,200 cals in take per day.. any of you stay at this in take even with days NOT exercising?

I'd love some feedback on my diary please, positive or negative i'd appreciate any honest opinions.

Replies

• ConnieSG
    ConnieSG Posts: 376
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories per day and have been on MFP for about a week now. I think there was the second day that I went over my calorie count of 1200. My trainer told me to add a protein shake into it. I haven't checked out your diary, but I thought I would comment.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly I just eat healthy food when I'm hungry because doing that before I joined this site was working so I see no reason to change it, but I usually come in at about what MFP says I should have.
  • AlmostMrsP
    AlmostMrsP Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Haven't checked your diary yet, but I'm on 1200 cals a day.

First 2 weeks or so I was trying hard to not go over 1200 cals, even with exercise. I was often coming in under 1200 and I wasn't hungry at all, so I figured it was okay. I was losing weight, but slowly. About 2 weeks ago I decided I needed to be over 1200 cals every day and I need to eat at least some of my exercise cals. I usually aim for somewhere around 1300 each day now (assuming I exercise). I lost 2.2 lbs last week and I'm hoping for similar results when I weigh in tomorrow morning. Feel free to friend me and look at my diary. I'm not sure I'm the best example, but I like the foods I eat, feel like they are mostly healthy and I'm feeling good.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It looks like you are eating good foods, enough protein and carbs. I go between 1200 and 1400 and lost 63 in 5 months. You are a tiny thing so 1200 seems pretty reasonable and your food choices look excellent :)
  • kaatz89
    kaatz89 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was told recently by a dietician that you should be eating at least 1200 calories a day. eating less can cause your metabolism to not work as well thus not losing any weight and its not a calorie intake you can mantian so you will end up gaining more weight in return. (I'm not the best at wording, so sorry if I sound retarded haha) If your still under your 1200 calorie goal and dont feel hungry you should still try to have something like a glass of milk, protein shake, or peice of fruit just so you are getting the right amount of calories.

Hope your weight loss is going well!
  • leslieanna15
    Options
    I'm also on 1200 calories. On good days, I usually stay under. When I work out, I try to eat at least the 1200, if not more, but sometimes I'm just full and don't want to eat anything else. If you feel satisfied and don't feel hungry, I wouldn't worry about it. I looked at your diary and it looks like you're eating healthy, not like you're starving yourself, so you should be fine! :)
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Christina girl! I thought you were going into maintenance now? I do think you need to eat a bit more...you should NOT drop below 1200 calories so often. From time to time I don't think it hurts, but you do it a lot. You eat healthy food, the only thing other than calories I would comment on is that days like today, no fruits or veggies until supper. If you're going into maintenance, you should be upping your calories to find that place where you don't gain and you no longer lose. It will probably take some experimenting. Oh, and do you not drink any water? Or just not log it? This is just my un-professional opinion, like you asked :) As always, I wish you luck!
  • carlarikin
    carlarikin Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I try not to go under 1200. If I'm lacking, I just eat an ounce of raw nuts which are high caloric healthy foods to make up for it or a tablespoon of peanut butter. I guess it depends on the person, but I personally aim for at least 1200 per day. If I'm too full, I just end up not worrying about it *shrug* but still aim for the 1200.
  • Shalimarmandy
    Shalimarmandy Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    If you aren't hungry, you should be fine but if you are still worried you should talk to a doctor about it and get a professional opinion. Some days I go over 1200 and some days I am under. Since I started on MFP I have tried to really listen to my body and not to force myself to eat or starve myself. If you are wanting to hit the magic 1200 and are having problems try adding a protien shake. I can usually drink calories alot easier than eat them if I feel like I need to reach my 1200.

Good luck to you!!!
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Christina girl! I thought you were going into maintenance now? I do think you need to eat a bit more...you should NOT drop below 1200 calories so often. From time to time I don't think it hurts, but you do it a lot. You eat healthy food, the only thing other than calories I would comment on is that days like today, no fruits or veggies until supper. If you're going into maintenance, you should be upping your calories to find that place where you don't gain and you no longer lose. It will probably take some experimenting. Oh, and do you not drink any water? Or just not log it? This is just my un-professional opinion, like you asked :) As always, I wish you luck!

I honestly never log in my water and always forget too! LOL :\ but I drink about 5-6 bottles of water everyday! I am trying to maintain but just so... idk, scared to gain by upping cals!! Thankyou so much for your response though <3
  • Wilfred808
    Wilfred808 Posts: 113
    Options
    idk how you girls make it on 1200 cals. im starving at 2250
  • bree2012
    bree2012 Posts: 179
    Options
    idk how you girls make it on 1200 cals. im starving at 2250

I'm a girl and I have trouble making it to 1200. Getting there.
  • CoachMaritova
    CoachMaritova Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am almost always under 1200.
  • dos317
    dos317 Posts: 5
    Options
    you are exactly right
  • liza001
    liza001 Posts: 77
    Options
    You are a lovely petite lady... And this looks like it works for you... I have looked at your diary and went back a couple of weeks ... For maintenance I feel it's ok... I feel you could have more variety, but so could I with mine... (wouldn't mind your opinion on miy diary too, maybe private message as I wouldn't like to intrude on your thread)

Below is just scrutiny, I'm answering as I did feel you wanted feedback, honest, just like I would appreciate if this was my thread... (yes?)

I feel for better health, your vitamins etc, you could have more salads and vegetables and some days there's not enough fruit?

For weight loss, haha wash my mouth out with soap and water suggesting that you would be in that position again, however hypathetically speaking, you would need to cut back on the fat and the refund carbs...

For me, I would be very hungry only having what you have and would be concerned about intestinal health... (you know, not being regular) :smile: