Article: a doctor busts the biggest weight loss myths 😋

Options

Replies

• bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    He's not a physician.. in case anyone was misled by the title "Doctor". ;)

I looked him up. He’s a obesity researcher at University of Sydney. It’s a high end uni.

He technicallyis a dr he does have a PHD.

Doesn’t mean he’s credible though.
  • eb8566
    eb8566 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Did the video say anything the article did not? I was expecting to see what he did recommend but it just ended. Very poorly done.
  • bluesheeponahill
    bluesheeponahill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong but it would not surprise me if the writer of the blog cherry picked things the doctor had said to suit an agenda, mainly because the article itself is so incomplete.
    I agree. It was really jarring. Hardly made sense.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I only got as far as 'www.bodyandsoul." before wrote off the chance of getting any useful information from that article once.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    This is probably where the information comes from:

https://sydney.edu.au/medicine-health/news-and-events/2019/05/06/dr-nick-fuller-5-reasons-diets-don-t-work-and-what-to-do-instead.html

If I didn't have to pay for it, I might like reading his entire book so I could see the "science" behind what he says. I'm not ruling it out (what he says).

He does have his doctorate in nutrition as well as being an obesity researcher. It seems his answer is an interval diet. Looks like you do CICO for a time, lose weight, then maintain for a time, then CICO it again. He's advocating for a slow weight loss with breaks in between to "trick" your body out of some evolutionary behaviors.
  • CMNVA
    edited July 2019
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yes, a diet based on a small cut off tdee followed by a diet break (I note that 2kg a month is just over 1lb a week, or just over a 500 Cal cut) could be both sustainable and generate minimal AT and hormonal changes.

That may well be what the researcher says in other documents. And could be an effective weight loss strategy.

But that is not info found in the original article.

Of course not. I really get tired of all the irresponsible journalism and "fluff" handed out. How many people click on this kind of stuff and just give up? I know most people would never go on a further search to see what the guy really has to say and why he believes what he believes.
  • Jenanne31
    Jenanne31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I sure would hate to be quoted as badly as Nick Fuller was (unless the guy really says things like sugars are "the very foods that are preventative for your health.") But I agree, the article was poorly written and should have included the things that people should try instead.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Yes, a diet based on a small cut off tdee followed by a diet break (I note that 2kg a month is just over 1lb a week, or just over a 500 Cal cut) could be both sustainable and generate minimal AT and hormonal changes.

That may well be what the researcher says in other documents. And could be an effective weight loss strategy.

But that is not info found in the original article.

Quite possibly true.

Of course that is a problem with what the author of the article says, not what the doctor says.

So, all the 'doctors don't give good advice etc' comments should maybe read 'article writers don't convey accurately what doctors say'
  • CMNVA
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Does he say it doesn't work, or isn't necessary? It does work, but isn't necessary. As long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight, whether you count the cals or not.

Many people in their responses here seem to be confusing counting calories with CICO.

CICO is just energy balance that your body does itself, counting calories is just that, counting what you eat and burn.

This is what he says in the link that I posted.

And calorie counting is a complete waste of time. Not all calories are equal, meaning we don’t absorb all the energy from some foods such as nuts and vegetables, and weight loss is not as simple as calories in versus calories out.

This, of course, was from another article. I'd actually like to read his book to see more details about why he feels that way. If you read his point of view on his own website, it sounds more like he believes somewhat in CICO but going off into maintenance for a bit and then going back on. But it does seem like he believes that some foods don't CICO like others, specifically nuts. He's a researcher on obesity so I'd love to see his data backing that up.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Does he say it doesn't work, or isn't necessary? It does work, but isn't necessary. As long as you are in a deficit you will lose weight, whether you count the cals or not.

Many people in their responses here seem to be confusing counting calories with CICO.

CICO is just energy balance that your body does itself, counting calories is just that, counting what you eat and burn.

This. The article does not say CICO doesn't work. He just questions whether counting calories works. I think the snippet in the article is wrong, but I wouldn't say he is wrong as I doubt the article linked is actually what he's said. Seems to be a poor translation.

CICO <> calorie counting.