Cheap (inexpensive) healthy/low cal foods?!

Options
Anyone have any good healthy/low calorie foods to add to my diet? The reason why I've eaten junk food so readily most of my adult life is because it's CHEAP. Healthy foods, unfortunately, especially fresh fruits & vegetables, can add up real quick. :frown:

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    definitely know what you mean there!
    Love to hear some cheap low cal foods too!
  • areittinger
    areittinger Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problem, I'm not sure if you have one around where you live but if so take advantage of your local farmers market, usually all the vendors there that have fresh produce are considerably cheaper than the supermarket.
  • MyLittleSonshine
    MyLittleSonshine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    beans are cheap and easy and very versatile! they are high in fiber so they keep you full and there are so many kinds you're bound to find some you like! I made black bean burgers and LOVE them! i for whatever reason prefer them mashed vs whole though lol and tomorrow i'm making lentil sloppy joes!
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    Do you live near a Fresh & Easy? They always have 98 cent produce packs or specials, usually on pears/oranges/apples, but it's not uncommon to see roma tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, or other fruits with the 98 cent price tag.
  • clong1985
    Options
    Frozen veggies can be pretty darn affordable, and tasty too... Bird's Eye or Green Giant or store brand, whatever's on sale. There are varieties with and without sauces which are usually low-cal anyway. Canned tuna is a great source of protein and omega 3s and is pretty low in calories (assuming you don't drown it in mayo!) One of the fruit companies (Dole maybe?) makes a few varieties of fruit cups in 100% juice instead of syrup.
    As far as fresh veggies and fruits go, do you have access to a local farm or farmer's market? Local and in season is usually much less expensive than flown-in-from-across-the-globe!
  • smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like laughing cow cheeses- they have 35 calories and are roughly $3 for a pack of 6 (or 8, I am blanking on that), and they occassionally release coupons. I normally pair with pretzels or Special K whole grain crackers.

Also, carrots (under $1.50 for a bag of baby carrots) and a few other veggies are always really cheap. Yogurt, apples, dried fruit, trail mix, granola bars (there are always coupons out for granola bars).
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets usually have a cheap day/time where they are trying to offload produce quickly. There isnt anything wrong with the produce, but the sellers need to make room for the next delivery.
    Do you have a yard at all? Or even a balcony? You could have a go at growing some of your own produce. Seeds cost a whole lot less than buying at the market. They take a bit of time and care but the end result is more than worth it.
  • lisaloo85
    Options
    I would love to find these too! I don't get why healthy food has to be so expensive!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Make a big pot of chicken soup and vegetables. Enough to last a couple days. Use low sodium chicken broth, or make your own broth.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Whole stalk of celery: $1.50
    Bag of mini carrots: $1.50
    Red Pepper: $1.50
    Cucumber: $1.00
    Head of Cauliflower: $2.50
    Bunch of broccoli: $2.00
    Grand total for enough munchies for a week: $10.00
  • mskimmyd
    mskimmyd Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks everyone! I live in Loma Linda, CA - a city founded by the Seventh-Day Adventist Church, who are HUGE on healthy (vegetarian, actually), clean living, so I probably have access to more health food then the average person.
  • mskimmyd
    Options
    Farmers markets usually have a cheap day/time where they are trying to offload produce quickly. There isnt anything wrong with the produce, but the sellers need to make room for the next delivery.
    Do you have a yard at all? Or even a balcony? You could have a go at growing some of your own produce. Seeds cost a whole lot less than buying at the market. They take a bit of time and care but the end result is more than worth it.

I actually have a huge balcony, but I don't have the money to invest in planting my own garden just yet. I plan/hope to start a small one sometime in October.
  • mskimmyd
    Options
    Do you live near a Fresh & Easy? They always have 98 cent produce packs or specials, usually on pears/oranges/apples, but it's not uncommon to see roma tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, or other fruits with the 98 cent price tag.

Technically, yes - I live very close to a Fresh & Easy. Unfortunately, it's not open. The building has been in place for 2+ years but has still yet to open. Weird, I know. :grumble:

http://lomalinda.patch.com/articles/fresh-easy-opening-date-still-unknown
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I buy fruit that is in season because it's much cheaper and you get a good variety.
    Grapes, Strawberries and Mangos are pretty cheap where I am now.

You can also do a lot with a bag of potatoes. Here a bag is about $2 for a small bag.

I agree though, some veggies can be pricey if you're only use them for one meal like bell peppers.

I second the laughing cow cheese wedges yumm I think I will pick up some of the little round ones though, never tried them
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

I actually have a huge balcony, but I don't have the money to invest in planting my own garden just yet. I plan/hope to start a small one sometime in October.

It can be pretty inexpensive to start your own balcony garden. All you really need to pay for are the seeds (or seedlings but they are a bit more expensive) and the soil.
    One of the best things to use for your garden bed are those Styrofoam boxes fruit and veggies come in. Most market sellers will give you the boxes for free.
    Growing things like lettuce in those boxes is excellent. Its cheap for the seeds, they yield HEAPS and they have a very quick growing time.
  • mskimmyd
    Options
    One of the best things to use for your garden bed are those Styrofoam boxes fruit and veggies come in. Most market sellers will give you the boxes for free.
    Growing things like lettuce in those boxes is excellent. Its cheap for the seeds, they yield HEAPS and they have a very quick growing time.

I would have never thought to use those Styrofoam boxes! There's a huge Clark's (nutrition and natural foods market) in my city that I bet has a bunch of those - I should just go dumpster diving behind the store, heheh.
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    funny you ask this, i just read an article talking about how to eat healthy on a budget.

http://financialedge.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0811/Eating-Healthy-On-A-Budget.aspx?partner=fdc#axzz1WCDqvr8W

that is the link, it's a good read. you should take a look.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Joining a csa is another great way to get healthy food cheap (community sustained agriculture)
  • mskimmyd
    Options
    funny you ask this, i just read an article talking about how to eat healthy on a budget.

http://financialedge.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0811/Eating-Healthy-On-A-Budget.aspx?partner=fdc#axzz1WCDqvr8W

that is the link, it's a good read. you should take a look.

Thanks a bunch for sharing this!
  • gumonyershoe
    Options
    I was also going to suggest a Farmer's Market. The one in my town I got a whole big bag full of vegetables (cucumbers, tomatoes, blueberries, etc) for less than $10 and it lasted me a good long while. Unfortunately my working hours don't permit me to go very often, but it's worth a shot!