Alaska Training

tmac68w
tmac68w Posts: 19 Member
Anyone else on here in Alaska by chance and know of the better gyms, been to Alaska club and they are pricey. Appreciate the help.Also, where are the best places to go trail running

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    edited July 2019
    :lol: I had to laugh - Alaska is about the biggest area of trail running in the world, isn't it? I mean every road would qualify. Can't you just Google "trails" near where you are?

Where are you in Alaska? It's a pretty vast place.
  • tmac68w
    Did that, but there is also people who are crazy randomly popping up. It is where people go who dont want to be found due to lucrative actions, or military. Just the other day I was running down a trail I thought was cool, 2 ladies literally came spinning(dancing) out onto the trail humming with backpacks on and didnt say a word when I acknowledged them. So I would rather take the advice of people who have already been up here running.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 378 Member
    Where in Alaska? Alaska is 3 times bigger than Texas....
  • tmac68w
    Fairbanks/North Pole
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    tmac68w wrote: »
    Did that, but there is also people who are crazy randomly popping up. It is where people go who dont want to be found due to lucrative actions, or military. Just the other day I was running down a trail I thought was cool, 2 ladies literally came spinning(dancing) out onto the trail humming with backpacks on and didnt say a word when I acknowledged them. So I would rather take the advice of people who have already been up here running.

Well to be fair I wouldn't give those ladies the ability to "ruin" a spot for me.

And there are bizarre people everywhere, not just in outlaw Alaska. Sounds like this is more about your own worrying?

If you want safety, then it's at a gym. If you want to trail run, it's outdoors. If you want to never see another human, that's gonna be a problem.
  • lafayettenana
    lafayettenana Posts: 79 Member
    Looks like another more local social media site like NextDoor or Craig's list may have suggestions. May also want to try and find a runners club to find jogging partners. I've been to Fairbanks and there's definitely people there that I wouldn't want to run into on a trail by myself. I'm a hiker in Northern California and I often ask people for trail recommendations rather than googling it. Good luck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Can't say about the people -- as noted above, there are going to be occasional annoying people on any trail. However, if you have an app like map my run you can look at routes that people around you have done for ideas (you may have to be a paid member, not sure).

Also, maybe check out meet ups that are for trail runners or join a trail running group (often they put on races or group runs, but they will also be able to tell you some of the best routes). Or just drop by a local running shoe store and talk to people.

My dad used to do a lot of trail running/biking in Anchorage (he's in Washington now, but would still have good advice for Anchorage). He'd know nothing about Fairbanks area, though.
  • booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    I’m from Juneau, so I can’t offer too many specifics. I’m pretty sure Fairbanks has a running store, though. I’d recommend stopping by and asking if they have ny recommendations or group runs. Also, you could check in with student rec center at the university.
  • tmac68w
    Fairbanks dont have a runni g store unfortunately, one like Skinny ravens down in Anchorage(which is awesome). But the map my run routes is a good idea, thanks yall.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    tmac68w wrote: »

Dancing and humming are not generally associated with being outlaw behavior.

Everything tends to be more expensive in Alaska so I am not surprised gyms are the same. I would reconsider your aversion to the outdoors especially during the summer months. It may be your best solution. Or doing some bodyweight exercises either from YouTube or Beachbody on Demand at home.