Newbie!

Options
42 yr old, relatively active, a one time FitBit community user which I found motivational, but the transferred to an Apple watch about a year ago and eventually took the plunge to use Fitness pal in combination with it. Looking to drop fat but up Muscle content due to my Ectomorph biological design and a "cuddly" area appearing around my mid section. Looking for inspiration and motivation from this community and see what goes on.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Be aware that because Apple chose to send the wrong info and MFP allowed them to get by with it - you cannot directly sync MFP with Apple and get correct math done in MFP for your eating goals.

You'll have to sync with middle-man app like Pacer to both accounts.

And welcome, many great posts so read the stickies for them.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    42 yr old, relatively active, a one time FitBit community user which I found motivational, but the transferred to an Apple watch about a year ago and eventually took the plunge to use Fitness pal in combination with it. Looking to drop fat but up Muscle content due to my Ectomorph biological design and a "cuddly" area appearing around my mid section. Looking for inspiration and motivation from this community and see what goes on.

Gaining muscle and losing fat have opposite requirements in that losing fat requires a calorie deficit and gaining muscle requires a calorie surplus. Generally the best you can do is to prioritise one and try to minimise the impact on the other. So if trying to lose fat you'll be in a calorie deficit to initiate fat loss while employing a lifting program to maintain as much muscle as possible.

As for being an 'Ectomorph', there's no such thing. Somatotypes are a long debunked pseudoscience that was actually a part of the field of psychology. It was proposed that 'body type' could predict temperament and personality. It's about as valid as palm reading or phrenology.

This community is great and I credit the information I've gleaned from here as a big part of my successfully losing weight. Pay attention as there a lots of people here who've gained lots of knowledge over the years. The great thing about this community is that it's quick to jump on useless nonsense and call it out =)

G'luck
  • fesimo34197
    fesimo34197 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Good luck with your fitness goals
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Here's the low down on what sounds like a recomp you want to do, and how it can work.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat
  • nisie3
    nisie3 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • smithmj_13
    smithmj_13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!
  • TxKMac
    TxKMac Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just started this app today. I’m looking for motivational friends.