Not reaching my calorie goal.

Options
Okay, a lot of people are not going to be happy with me but I have problems reaching my 1300 calorie goal. I try and eat 3 main meals and 2 snacks during the day. I am eating healthy food, getting full after each meal and snacking just to keep my calories up. After dinner I still have about 200-300 calories to eat. Does anyone have any easy things to add to my snacks, meals, or even something to finish off the day (i.e. dessert)?

Replies

• chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    cant offer input w/ out your diary....
  • niccole679
    Options
    Changed the settings before I posted, just went in and changed it again, hope it works.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Nuts, peanut butter, almond butter with apples, greek yogurt, cottage cheese etc.
  • h82bfat
    h82bfat Posts: 77
    Options
    I have the same question. I posted my (largely uninformed) opinion here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/188509-my-take-on-exercise-calories-please-read-if-you-are-new?page=6#posts-4299506 but that thread has withered. I refuse to eat when I'm not hungry and regularly loosing weight. Thanks.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a lot more fresh fruits and veggies - they ae not high in calories but have so many nutrients......try colorful.....deep green (broccoli), bright orange (mangoes, tomatoes and yellow bell peppers), summer fruits, etc.

Cook with olive oil 1/2 tablespoon is 60 cals, olive oil is a wonderfully healthy way to add fats that the brain needs to function.

Maybe a low fat ice cream at dessert!! Calcium and protein there!

Best of Luck, your diary looks good....think long term sustainability.....broaden your foods horizons slowly. you just need a coupla hundred more cals per day and that is not hard!
  • CassandraD82
    CassandraD82 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cheese and nuts ;)

A small amount goes a long way.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Cheese and nuts ;)

A small amount goes a long way.

which is really my entire problem *LOL*
  • hippymamax6
    hippymamax6 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. Tonight, I have 650 calories to use up, on a day without exercise, out of a total of 1200 calories. But also refuse to eat if I'm not hungry. You'd think I'd wither away at this point but the weight is coming off slowly so far!
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    skinny cow makes an entire line
  • dckim
    dckim Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your problem... Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead is key. Lay everything out in tomorrow's food diary. If you're short by 300, make small tweaks to every meal. 50-100 calories here and there will add up and get to you to your goal. Repeat the planning part again the next night. Repeat again every night. Either forever, or until you have developed the skills and habits to hit your targets.
  • before20
    before20 Posts: 28
    Options
    My only suggestion would be to add more vegetables (and water) into your diet for the fiber, and then if you feel like you have to meet your calorie goal you could just up the portion sizes on your food during snacks and make them into mini meals because your main meals aren't all that large anyways. This would create a sort of even calorie distribution throughout the whole day instead of just tacking on a desert to dinner which would just leave you feeling bloated if you're already full.

I'm vegan but I feel like I have the same problem as you do. I set a pretty modest calorie goal for myself and I can't even seem to reach that most days because I eat so many fruits and vegetables that I feel like I would burst if I ate any more...the problem is that they're not that calorie dense. I don't worry about it too much though because I'm not lacking in energy and I just got my blood work back and everything is normal. If you feel fine, then my opinion is that you shouldn't really worry about being under unless it goes to an extreme. :ohwell:
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Planning ahead is key. Lay everything out in tomorrow's food diary. If you're short by 300, make small tweaks to every meal. 50-100 calories here and there will add up and get to you to your goal. Repeat the planning part again the next night. Repeat again every night. Either forever, or until you have developed the skills and habits to hit your targets.

oh oh oh! I pre-log all my meals! It helps immensely, and I have 6 meals and am not hungry or looking to snack.
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i have the exact same problem. today i think i have over 400 left. I am truly not hungry and will NOT stuff myself. I am at 1200 a day but also exercise wich adds more calories. I don't get too much heat, but when I do I feel really guilty.. just as guilty as if I have over eaten! ugh.. this sucks!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was plateauing on Weight Watchers because I wasn't eating enough, so when I came here and realized I needed to eat more. I basically ate my same healthy diet (adding some almonds here and there) and ate a cup of Breyer's Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream (1 cup is 300 calories) every night. Did this for a whole week and lost 6 pounds. Go figure.

But yes, Breyers (and you don't have to get lowfat) is very light on the calories - in comparison to stuff like Ben and Jerry's and others). A serving size is 1/2 cup for 150 calories but I like to have the whole cup - it's such a treat at the end of the day. I love it :)
  • SportySpiceVT
    SportySpiceVT Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just because you are watching what you eat, doesn't mean you have to skimp so much. Add cheeses or sauces to you meals. I know you love cheese! Add some sausage or something else yummy and full of calories to your day. You CAN eat all that as long as you need the calories, like you have. HUGS!
  • trailrider1963
    Options
    How about salad with full-fat dressing and a little cheese and nuts? I wish I could smother my salads in those things but I can't.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    I have had the same problem with calories :/ I am slowly getting better. I dont do so good pre-planning meals but as I log stuff in I make note of how many more calories I have to go, and think about what I can eat later to get those extra calories in :) I'm still on the fence as to whether or not eating exercise calories back is good or not tho. Mainly because I get really tired of having to eat all the time LOL
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    How about salad with full-fat dressing and a little cheese and nuts? I wish I could smother my salads in those things but I can't.

I did it twice yesterday LOL and if I'd felt like getting on the treadmill I would have came in under my calorie goal but all I did was weight lifting on the 'machines' at the gym (which as far as I'm concerned burns freaking calories!!!!) My problem is the fat content in salad dressing ~ I think I went way way over yesterday cause of that but oh well, one day wont kill me :p
  • niccole679
    Options
    Thanks, I have been doing better. As I say that it is late and I am under today. Had a busy day running around and skipped my snacks. Nuts, cottage cheese, cheese and of course a little dessert as long as I can keep under that number. We will see how this week has gone at my weigh in tomorrow am.