Orlistol?

Options
Anyone try this stuff? It is highly rated on Amazon so I am thinking about trying it. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Is that the poop yourself if you eat fat medicine? No thanks.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    is it the same as orlistat? if so, then yes, it's the "poop yourself" medicine.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    LOL- Inhibits absorption of carbs? Really? Why not just eat less carbs?
    Amazon reviews are put there by the company. You simply cannot trust reviews.
    Here is a real review https://www.dietpillswatchdog.com/orlistol/ Cost is really $40? Really?
    Quote "there are too many negative reviews for us to be comfortable with. It has been known to cause numerous side effects (diarrhoea, constipation, gas and stomach upset) and omes with an average price tag that may or may not offer value for money."

If this really worked, don't you think it would be on NBC, CBS, ABC and even FOX? Daily? It would be the miracle of the century.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Save your money and just eat in a calorie deficit, that's all you need to lose weight and it's free. Almost all of the pills that you can buy online state they work "as part of a calorie controlled diet". This particular one sounds like it makes you *kitten* yourself lighter, which is neither pleasant or healthy.

Here is some info from the first site to come up when I googled it:

Here are select reviews taken from users:

“if you don’t diet and exercise you’re not going to see any results”

“contains a bad ingredient not advised for long term use. It gave me some terrible stomach cramps and diarrhea”

“have been taking it repeatedly for 10 days and have not lost a single pound”

“So far I have not dropped any wright but this might be due to my own actions”

A common theme for people was that it failed to produce any noticeable effects. Some id experience weight loss, but there were also issues related to nasty side effects.

There was mention of things like diarrhea, increased bathroom usage, nausea, upset stomach, dehydration, headaches, and other related symptoms.

Positive reviews were also mentioned, but it’s unknown if these are all truthful. Many of the positive experiences were from unverified customers on Amazon.com
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options

Orlistol Cons:
    *Very limited clinical evidence supporting the product’s claims
    *May require significant dietary and lifestyle changes to work

Why waste the money when dietary changes (consuming less calories than you burn) works for free?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you go to the link above from @BruinsGal_91 make sure you read the post from a girl named
    ninkyou
    It starts with "I've never taken Alli, BUT, I do have a real world story to share."
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    is it the same as orlistat? if so, then yes, it's the "poop yourself" medicine.

I have never once thought I don't poop my pants enough. I am completely fascinated by the fact some people do have this thought and buy these products. I can think of much more enjoyable ways to "live life dangerously"

yes, to be totally honest i am weary of any of these products. Like the chips made with olestra, the completely sugar-free sweets and sauces, etc.

As far as i'm concerned i'd rather eat the real thing or smaller doses of these ingredients (like in a diet soda for example) where they're known to be safe.

The olestra and orlistat and probably whatever OP is suggesting work, but not for the reason you might think. They are meant to be a deterrent to high-fat high-calorie foods first and foremost AND help absorb small (nearly 30%) amounts.

If you're already eating a low-fat and low calorie diet these do nothing for you.

IMO- it's kind of like the people who get patches sewn on their tongue or a stomach balloon or anything else; it's a temporary thing meant to provide you negative consequences when you don't stay on track. I don't know about y'all but i much prefer to eat well and exercise because i care about myself and my body, not because i am a glutton for punishment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    If you go to the link above from @BruinsGal_91 make sure you read the post from a girl named ninkyou. It starts with "I've never taken Alli, BUT, I do have a real world story to share."

Y'all beat me to it.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Is that the poop yourself if you eat fat medicine? No thanks.

lolol before I clicked I was like "this sounds like something that makes you poop yourself."
  • tropiz9
    tropiz9 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I would never use that tablets AGAIN!
  • emhorn625
    emhorn625 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. This is what I needed to hear. I know calorie restriction is free but I have terrible willpower.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    emhorn625 wrote: »
    Thanks all. This is what I needed to hear. I know calorie restriction is free but I have terrible willpower.

@emhorn625 Glad you listened no-one needs to be wearing pampers to lose weight, instead of making drastic changes that require a lot of willpower just make small changes that you can stick to and eat food you like but in slightly smaller amounts. Small changes can soon add up - switching to a 1cal spray when frying food to coat the pan to stop food from sticking rather than free pouring oil can save you 100+ calories, switching from soda to diet soda or water can save you 140 calories, weighing out things like cereal and pasta to the recommended serving size can make a huge difference to free pouring and guessing the portion size.
  • Projectjustme
    Projectjustme Posts: 47 Member
    Options

This is one of my favourite threads on MFP - definitely worth a read