how to make brown rice more tasty ??

Options
2»

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I LOVE white rice ( I mostly eat jasmine rice Trader Joe's has "organic" frozen jasmine rice and that what I eat and love), it's not "bland" to me at all for some reason, it's just so good--but I really don't like brown rice at all...so I don't eat it. I usually eat rice with bacon and over medium hard eggs, so I mix them all up together and that's one of my favorite meals of all time. Also rice and gravy is a favorite of mine too.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I made jasmine white rice with butter, chicken stock/broth and some garlic, salt and pepper. Very tasty, but yes the butter does add more calories (but worth it in my opinion).
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Cook it in broth, as others have suggested, add a bit more salt once cooked (if you don’t have sodium restrictions and are okay retaining a bit of water) and top with salsa.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,905 Member
    Options
    awdouth wrote: »
    So you may think I'm crazy, but I typically will season it with a little garlic powder or garlic salt and then some soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce. You can mix and match those four things anyway you want depending on how much sodium you're looking to intake, but it usually helps me make my brown rice much more palatable.
    Terytha wrote: »
    I add butter, lemon juice and soy sauce, but I'm weird like that.

Rice is extremely unappetizing without some kind of topping. That's why it's so good in stir fry, with the sauce on it.

Sorry to break it to you, but y'all are neither weird nor crazy :lol:
  • QuinntessentiallyMe
    QuinntessentiallyMe Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use McCormick Grill Mates seasonings on veggies, carbs, and meat. Higher in sodium, but for those of us who don't need the restriction, they make it easier to get your macros, vitamins, and minerals in. OMG the Smokehouse Maple is crazy good, and takes care of my sweet cravings.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    There are many varieties of rice to try. I really like brown basmati rice - smells like popcorn while it cooks and tastes a little like it also. It tastes fine to me all by itself. So experiment. Also try blends with wild rice or quinoa or millet. As long as it's a good brand, you can use white or brown rice although I think brown has better taste.

Lundberg is always good, for example. But whatever white rice BirdsEye uses in its frozen blends is pretty tasteless... Longer grain seems tastier as well.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Since the vast majority of time the rice is part of a whole meal with a ton of flavor, it really doesn't bother me if it's not super flavorful on its own. I mean, I don't want to go crazy on the rice when I am then covering it in delicious curry or stir fry. I want the star of the dish to be the curry/stir fry or whatever.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    jwoolman5 wrote: »
    There are many varieties of rice to try. I really like brown basmati rice - smells like popcorn while it cooks and tastes a little like it also. It tastes fine to me all by itself. So experiment. Also try blends with wild rice or quinoa or millet. As long as it's a good brand, you can use white or brown rice although I think brown has better taste.

Lundberg is always good, for example. But whatever white rice BirdsEye uses in its frozen blends is pretty tasteless... Longer grain seems tastier as well.

I just had Lundberg's sprouted brown rice. What a difference from other brown rices I've tried! Delicious and the texture is fantastic.
  • seandoherty83
    seandoherty83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the other comments but in case nobody else has mentioned this - Quinoa has been my savior from brown rice! It's even healthier apparently and it actually tasts decent! Lots of protein and goodness!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    Add fried/sauteed onions and peas :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I almost never make rice as a side dish. I make a lot of stews that can be served over rice so I make sure there is enough liquid in them and dump the rice right in the stew and let it cook more until the rice is done (about 30 minutes in the crock pot, which is where I make most of my stews). A few times I have removed the stew but left enough liquid in the pot to cook the rice separately. Very tasty!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    I almost never make rice as a side dish. I make a lot of stews that can be served over rice so I make sure there is enough liquid in them and dump the rice right in the stew and let it cook more until the rice is done (about 30 minutes in the crock pot, which is where I make most of my stews). A few times I have removed the stew but left enough liquid in the pot to cook the rice separately. Very tasty!

Yeah, I never eat rice plain. Brown rice is as tasty as white to me (both are completely neutral foods that go well when combined with other foods).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Yeah, I never eat rice plain. Brown rice is as tasty as white to me (both are completely neutral foods that go well when combined with other foods).

I have a couple of pilaf recipes but I usually substitute quinoa or couscous for the rice.
  • LauraVT802
    LauraVT802 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cook the rice in bullion. Once cold, add black beans,cilantro, and lime juice. Season with cumin and olive oil.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Im not a big fan of rice but do much prefer brown rice as its a bit more flavoursome and seems to have a bit more to it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    I feel provoked to add that there are lots and lots of less-commonly-eaten but tasty and nutritious grains and mini-seeds that play a similar culinary role to rice or quinoa, and usually are prepared in a similar way, but vary in flavor, texture, and nutrition: Millet, buckwheat groats, teff, farro, amaranth, barley, and more. Lots of these are available in regular grocery stores these days.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Ginger / garlic / chilies / lemon grass. I keep a jar with that stuff in the fridge. Put through the food processor - keeps well with a little oil.
  • msanz
    msanz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quinoa. I use it instead of rice. I cook it with chicken bullion and add tomatoes, and jalapenos!
  • mamari
    mamari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Add beef, chicken or vegetable broth and then spices like black pepper, onion powder. No added calories and tastes so much better! I also do this to riced cauliflower.