Contraceptive Implant

Options
A few months back I had the Contraceptive Implant fitted for the first time, when I did the doctor said my body would take time to get used it it. Before I had it fitted I used to like to eat but now it is turning into a joke, if I eat I am still really hungry afterwards, even if I have had a big meal. I have also been on a consistent period since the 2nd week of having it in. Will this all effect how much I lose & what should I do? :/

Replies

• kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    Other than controlling yourself there's not really alot you can do I'm afraid, it's Unfortunatly once of the main side effects of the implant. You will get use to it and find it easier to control you probably need a little time.
    As for the period, it's pretty normal, again your body needs to get use to it. It's quite likely that you won't have any periods while on it eventually.
  • ClassicGirl79
    ClassicGirl79 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do you mind if I ask what kind of implant you have? Norplant is notorious for weight gain. I personally have a Mirena, and at the risk of TMI, it is the BEST thing I ever got (aside from my husband, of course! :-) )!
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    When I first got it the first 3-4 months was pretty much constant TOTM it started slowing down and is now regular.

How many months have you had it?
  • jess_austin
    Options
    go back to your doctor ASAP!!! on any kind of contraception if you bleed for more than 10 days continually you need to go back as it could indicate a bigger health problem!
  • JDRBT
    JDRBT Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hormone levels do effect your appetite. Just stay aware of your feelings and how much you've actually eaten. ;)
  • Hannahluux
    Options
    When I first got it the first 3-4 months was pretty much constant TOTM it started slowing down and is now regular.

Coming up to 3 months of having it now :/
  • SmangeDiggs
    SmangeDiggs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    SORRY!!! Just read post properly and this wasnt the problem you were asking about..whoops...lol

With most implants if the bleeding...even spotting hasnt stopped after 6 months (if you can stand it that long) then it is not likely to stop. Unfortunately this is a really common side effect for some woman and it maybe that its just not right for you.
    Sometimes a good alternative is a copper IUD instead as it is a non hormonal form of contraception but it can make your periods slightly heavier, but definately wont stop them if thats what you are looking for.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Have you considred changing it? I have a plain copper coil (iud) no hormones, no side effects, I'd recommend it to anyone.
  • Hannahluux
    Options
    Do you mind if I ask what kind of implant you have? Norplant is notorious for weight gain. I personally have a Mirena, and at the risk of TMI, it is the BEST thing I ever got (aside from my husband, of course! :-) )!

The doctor just called it Nexplanon (:
  • gel91
    Options

Hmm, does it show any signs of slowing down at all? If not maybe go to the docs and get it changed but really I reckon they'll just tell you that you knew the risks that come with it - they ain't very helpful like that!

Are you stressed out alot? I know I start getting alot heavier when I'm stressed maybe you could chill out more / cut down excerising if you are?

Would you consider getting it removed/changed?
  • Hannahluux
    Options
    Have you considred changing it? I have a plain copper coil (iud) no hormones, no side effects, I'd recommend it to anyone.

I was going to get the IUD or Coil, but my mam had problems with both of them so I thought no. I also used to be on the pill & it made me really ill :/
  • kernowprincess
    kernowprincess Posts: 135 Member
    Options

I agree with you, the Mirena is the best implant out there IMHO.
  • gel91
    Options

I was going to get the IUD or Coil, but my mam had problems with both of them so I thought no. I also used to be on the pill & it made me really ill :/

My mum fell pregnant with coil, my brother was born with it stuck in his head!

Theres lots of different types of the pill, have you only tried the one? I'm crap with them I forget to take it!
  • Hannahluux
    Options

Hmm, does it show any signs of slowing down at all? If not maybe go to the docs and get it changed but really I reckon they'll just tell you that you knew the risks that come with it - they ain't very helpful like that!

Are you stressed out alot? I know I start getting alot heavier when I'm stressed maybe you could chill out more / cut down excerising if you are?

Sometimes it does, I have a few days with it light/close to stopping & it starts again :/ & Yeah I get stressed alot, and I do exercise alot :/ & I would get it moved but I don't know what else I can go on, my body is a pain with contraception :/
  • gel91
    Options

Sometimes it does, I have a few days with it light/close to stopping & it starts again :/ & Yeah I get stressed alot, and I do exercise alot :/ & I would get it moved but I don't know what else I can go on, my body is a pain with contraception :/

Well going by what you just said I'd try chill out a bit more, give yourself a week or 2 break and be as destressed as possible, and just ride it out! I got mine a few weeks after I had my son so the first few months were stressful as but once I got into a routine and relaxed they calmed down and started going regular!

Worth a shot, or do you lead a busy life, if so maybe you will have to just check out different things?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I just took myself off of Yaz. It didn't cause me to be hungry like that or gain weight...but it did prevent me from losing anything at any real pace. I had lots of other issues with it too like headaches, spotting, facial discoloration, horrible mood swings... I am looking into the copper IUD myself simply because I don't want to mess with hormones any more. It just isn't worth it for me, which is why I don't want to try Mirena. I've heard that the side effects are local, but then again, I've also heard other bad things like the pill stories I've heard.

I know that you can get pregnant using ANY of the methods...so I just want to choose one without hormones!
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    I had murenia placed 2 months after my daughter. next month will be a year. for the first month or so, TOM, with a vengence. even after prego TOM, but at the end of month 2 it slowed down. still heavy, but more normal. all it made me do was want to drink, and a bit sick. weight wise, i may have put on a few pounds, but when you gain 60 a few dont make a difference.

I'd go back and see why you're still hungry. or you can wait it out for a few more weeks.

Hope everything balances out and you're ok.
  • Hannahluux
    Options

My mum fell pregnant with coil, my brother was born with it stuck in his head!

Theres lots of different types of the pill, have you only tried the one? I'm crap with them I forget to take it!

Sorry for late replys, was in the bath :') & I tried 2 :/
  • jade_85
    jade_85 Posts: 96
    Options
    i had the implant stuck it out for a year gained loads weight for no reason and got terrible acne! id say remove it. i had the copper coil but i had to have it removed as something went wrong wen they fitted it. im still searching for something that suits me.
    good luck :) xx