Change food weight!!!

When adding my meals, I can only find set weight measurements for them! How can I edit the serving measurement???

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    so, as an example, if you are eating chicken breast find an entry for 100g chicken breast meat. Then weight the chicken, lets say 125g. Alter the serving to 1.25
  • mikejayne80
    mikejayne80 Posts: 5 Member
    I had Bran Flakes this morning, can see 30g and 100g option. Where or how do I alter to 50g? Cheers
  • mikejayne80
    mikejayne80 Posts: 5 Member
    Thank you!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited July 2019
    I had Bran Flakes this morning, can see 30g and 100g option. Where or how do I alter to 50g? Cheers

You can always change the weight to grams, from the drop-down menu as you add the food. Then you can simply put exactly how many grams you have weighed.

elw0ux0ccunm.jpg
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

You can always change the weight to grams, from the drop-down menu as you add the food. Then you can simply put exactly how many grams you have weighed.

elw0ux0ccunm.jpg

The problem with that approach is that for most foods, the value of most nutrients in a 1 g serving will round to zero, so you can't really check the accuracy of the database entry for the 1 g serving. And it is possible for 1 serving size of a food to be accurate while another isn't. There's a garlic entry that was created by MFP (not by a user -- you can tell because it has serving sizes based on weight, volume and per clove, and that is not something that a user can do) in which the 1 clove serving is hundreds or thousands of calories, but a 3 clove serving size has the correct information.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

elw0ux0ccunm.jpg

The problem with that approach is that for most foods, the value of most nutrients in a 1 g serving will round to zero, so you can't really check the accuracy of the database entry for the 1 g serving. And it is possible for 1 serving size of a food to be accurate while another isn't. There's a garlic entry that was created by MFP (not by a user -- you can tell because it has serving sizes based on weight, volume and per clove, and that is not something that a user can do) in which the 1 clove serving is hundreds or thousands of calories, but a 3 clove serving size has the correct information.

That is why you double check with the nutrition labels first. If 100 serves of 1 gram are the same as 1 serve of 100 grams which will always be on a label you are good to go.