Where do I start?

Options
smileytracy1965
smileytracy1965 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2019 in Introduce Yourself
Hi
I’m 135kg and have severe asthma and 2 collapsed discs.
For many many years I was on steroids for my asthma.
These were stopped in January as I’ve become resistant to them. So finally I thought I could lose weight.
I’m also mid menopause and on HRT.
Where do I start?
I’m so unsure what to be eating.
I’m a strict veggie, no egg either so I eat real healthy but the weight just doesn’t come off.
I don’t know where to start, I have zero motivation because I feel like my body is trapping me.
Inspiration please

T

Replies

• glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Start by weighing/measuring and logging everything (EVERYTHING!) you eat and drink, tracking calories. It'll give you a better idea of what you might be getting wrong.

There's a lot of diet solutions out there, and knowing what your issues are will help you pick the right one for you.
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Yes, all of that ^^

Once you know what you are doing you can find where the problems lie. And by weighing / measuring what glovepuppet is saying it use the food scale for all solids, and a measuring jug for all liquids. Cups and spoons just aren't accurate enough.

You may be very surprised what you are actually consuming once you see it in front of you.
  • smileytracy1965
    Options
    I’m in a what’s the point zone.
    As I’m eating things I’ve even saying to myself what are you doing.. but still eating it.
    Aghhhh I’m useless
  • sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Aghhhh I’m useless

No you aren't. You're here, you've posted, that's a positive step.

If you can't do it for you right now can you do it for someone or something else? I bet you go all out for people dear to you but find it easier to neglect your needs.

Even your screen name is postive, smileytracy1965. Now, the next small step :)

• smileytracy1965
    Options
    Thank you
    It’s just so hard turning your mind to a more forward thinking view point. Instead of just seeing what’s in front of me.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You aren't useless. If it wasn't tough, this site wouldn't exist. Even people who look like they're succeeding easily can be deceptive. I'm a healthy weight, exercise regularly, but still daren't keep cookies in the house because my will power would just crumple and I'd binge the whole box! You're not alone in this.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    All of the above. It's great info. You might also want to check out the Happy Herbivores group if you're veg.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I’m in a what’s the point zone.
    As I’m eating things I’ve even saying to myself what are you doing.. but still eating it.
    Aghhhh I’m useless

Try to be more positive. ❤

If you fill out the food diary truthfully, you should be able to see where your landmines are. I fill mine out a few days in advance. This holds me accountable and on track. If I want to eat something not included in my diary, I see if I have the calories available. If not, I don't eat it.

It only took a few weeks of doing this and my cravings and emotional eating disappeared naturally.
  • smileytracy1965
    Options
    Thanks everyone
    Yes I’m a negative nelly right now for sure.
    Health is getting me down, and I guess any excuse to go off track.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    You recognize that they are excuses. That's a huge step right there.