What are your favorite kid-friendly meals?

Options
First of all, let me just tell y’all that I have NO IDEA how to make enjoyable, healthy meals.

I’m just starting out on my journey and am struggling to make things that my picky babies (and man-child husband) actually like. They like Mac n Cheese, pizza and treats. 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️

I want to cook healthier meals for my family and be able to give/teach my children a healthier lifestyle. But I have no idea where to start sooo....please spam me with with your favorite “kid-friendly” or just delicious, healthy recipes. Any tips, personal experience on losing weight/living healthy with little ones, or encouragement will also be greatly appreciated! 😊

Replies

• hughes5465
    hughes5465 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m in the same boat! I have no idea ether.
  • mikesphoto
    mikesphoto Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Tacos are always a favorite for me. They never need to be anything special since they were created to use up the unused leftovers. Taco meat is simple to make (if you're good you can hid veggies and stuff in here like onions and tomato), add some cheese, lettuce, and salsa.
  • pfillipp
    pfillipp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    mikesphoto wrote: »
    Tacos are always a favorite for me. They never need to be anything special since they were created to use up the unused leftovers. Taco meat is simple to make (if you're good you can hid veggies and stuff in here like onions and tomato), add some cheese, lettuce, and salsa.

I’m this same vein, we do taco salad, and the kids love it. I put out probably 10 bowls with different items to go in the salad and then everyone picks what goes in their bowl. The only rule is the kids have to pick 2 vegetables. I usually put out lettuce, taco meat, tomatoes, shredded carrots, avocado, bell pepper, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, beans, olives, salsa, sour cream, cucumbers....whatever you’ve got on hand. Then hubby and kids get glorified nachos and you get a salad

• pfillipp
    pfillipp Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Other than taco salad, healthy things my kids like are:
    Veggie and protein Stir-fry with steamed rice (mine looooove tofu which is not typical, but they also like chicken or beef). No recipe for this but I usually make a sauce with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and a splash of honey that I stir in at the end
    Chicken noodle soup (again no recipe - I wing it)
    I also love budget bytes and find her recipes to be kid friendly ish while still keeping me happy:
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/roasted-cauliflower-salad-lemon-tahini-dressing/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/oven-fajitas/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/greek-chicken-pasta-salad/ when I make pasta salad I usually serve mine on a big bowl of greens to lighten it up
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    We have no idea of what you like (and just a tiny bit about what your family likes). We have no idea how much or little time you like to spend in the kitchen. We don't know what your cooking skills are; what appliances you have, etc. We don't know if you/your family have any food allergies or strong dislikes. I could spend hours on Google making recipes that I think you and your family would love, but you might hate them or not have access to them.

YOU are the best person to look up a recipe for you and your family. We don't know you; you do. :wink:

Why can't you eat what your family eats but in portions that fit in with your deficit? No reason to reinvent the wheel unless there is an actual medical reason (which you did not state when you asked for spam).
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    We eat a ridiculous amount of tacos. Kids like them and are quick to make.

Ground turkey, salsa, greek yogurt, avocado...if I want lower carbs, I just omit the tortillas and eat with a large bowl of spinach.

Sometimes we replace the meat with scrambled eggs.
  • SunflowerW10
    SunflowerW10 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    We have no idea of what you like (and just a tiny bit about what your family likes). We have no idea how much or little time you like to spend in the kitchen. We don't know what your cooking skills are; what appliances you have, etc. We don't know if you/your family have any food allergies or strong dislikes. I could spend hours on Google making recipes that I think you and your family would love, but you might hate them or not have access to them.

YOU are the best person to look up a recipe for you and your family. We don't know you; you do. :wink:

Why can't you eat what your family eats but in portions that fit in with your deficit? No reason to reinvent the wheel unless there is an actual medical reason (which you did not state when you asked for spam).

Haha, you are telling the truth! I was pretty vague 🙈 I like pretty much everything with the exception of some seafood. Love to cook! Don’t have many appliances...I do own a blender and food processor 😊 I spend most of my online time looking up new recipes and then spend wayyy to much money on ingredients. It’s a problem. Haha Thank you for your insight! As far as eating what they eat, it’s mostly unhealthy junk and I’m really wanting to change that I’m just having a hard time finding substitutes for their favorites. Pinterest has loads of ideas. I’m just wondering how others up here make do 😊
  • SunflowerW10
    Options
    pfillipp wrote: »
    Other than taco salad, healthy things my kids like are:
    Veggie and protein Stir-fry with steamed rice (mine looooove tofu which is not typical, but they also like chicken or beef). No recipe for this but I usually make a sauce with ginger, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil and a splash of honey that I stir in at the end
    Chicken noodle soup (again no recipe - I wing it)
    I also love budget bytes and find her recipes to be kid friendly ish while still keeping me happy:
    https://www.budgetbytes.com/roasted-cauliflower-salad-lemon-tahini-dressing/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/oven-fajitas/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/greek-chicken-pasta-salad/ when I make pasta salad I usually serve mine on a big bowl of greens to lighten it up

Ooh, that stir-fry sounds like a winner! Thank you so much for the links. In all of my Pinteresting, I don’t think I’ve ever even come across Budget Bytes! Checking her out now 👀👀
  • SunflowerW10
    Options
    pfillipp wrote: »
    mikesphoto wrote: »

I’m this same vein, we do taco salad, and the kids love it. I put out probably 10 bowls with different items to go in the salad and then everyone picks what goes in their bowl. The only rule is the kids have to pick 2 vegetables. I usually put out lettuce, taco meat, tomatoes, shredded carrots, avocado, bell pepper, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, beans, olives, salsa, sour cream, cucumbers....whatever you’ve got on hand. Then hubby and kids get glorified nachos and you get a salad

Glorified nachos and salad! I love it! Thank you!!
  • jwisdom80
    jwisdom80 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Homemade pizza is one of our favorites. We buy the dough (thin crust) - there are many low carb etc. options out there and then let the kids add sauce and toppings. For protein we use turkey pepperoni, deli ham, chicken, or turkey sausage. We also add veggies of course - the more the better.

I think just involving the kids in the 'cooking' process so they see that food does not normally come ready made in a box and letting them copy our behaviors (like adding extra veggies to my "side" of the pizza) is huge.

• SunflowerW10
    Options
    jwisdom80 wrote: »
    Homemade pizza is one of our favorites. We buy the dough (thin crust) - there are many low carb etc. options out there and then let the kids add sauce and toppings. For protein we use turkey pepperoni, deli ham, chicken, or turkey sausage. We also add veggies of course - the more the better.

I think just involving the kids in the 'cooking' process so they see that food does not normally come ready made in a box and letting them copy our behaviors (like adding extra veggies to my "side" of the pizza) is huge.

Yesss, my babes love being involved! But it’s usually with baking sweet treats 🤷🏼‍♀️😂 Love the idea of them helping to make their own healthier pizza.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Goat cheese quesadillas

Pan fry a bell pepper and/or other veggies in a small amount of oil. Combine with one can (drained) black beans and one can (drained) or one cup frozen thawed corn. Add shredded monterey jack cheese and 4oz goat cheese. Stir. Put in tortillas and cook.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    My go to recipe for feeding children is lasagna cupcakes. They usually love helping to make them. I can't find the recipe I normally use but fry off some minced beef and throw in a jar of commercial tomato sauce. Grease some muffin tins. Layer gyoza wrappers, the pasta sauce, cottage cheese in a few layers. Top with a grated hard cheese such as cheddar or parmesan. Bake about 20 minutes. I normally serve this with a green salad but if you need to hide vegetables for children add grated carrot and courgette into the tomato/meat sauce.

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/lasagna-cupcakes/
  • SunflowerW10
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    My go to recipe for feeding children is lasagna cupcakes. They usually love helping to make them. I can't find the recipe I normally use but fry off some minced beef and throw in a jar of commercial tomato sauce. Grease some muffin tins. Layer gyoza wrappers, the pasta sauce, cottage cheese in a few layers. Top with a grated hard cheese such as cheddar or parmesan. Bake about 20 minutes. I normally serve this with a green salad but if you need to hide vegetables for children add grated carrot and courgette into the tomato/meat sauce.

https://www.the-girl-who-ate-everything.com/lasagna-cupcakes/

Sounds delicious! Thank you!
  • SunflowerW10
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    Goat cheese quesadillas

Pan fry a bell pepper and/or other veggies in a small amount of oil. Combine with one can (drained) black beans and one can (drained) or one cup frozen thawed corn. Add shredded monterey jack cheese and 4oz goat cheese. Stir. Put in tortillas and cook.

Mmm, that sounds good! I’ve never had goat cheese. Going to have to give it a try!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Depends on the picky eater got 2 kids who wouldn’t eat meat! The now 20yr old will eat fish but the 2yr old nothing yet! He’s pizza ,pancakes,peanut butter pancakes,cheese sandwich,quesadilla bean y cheese, peanut butter sandwich,cereal in almond milk,cookie,blueberry muffin he picks out every berry,Mac y cheese,Cheetos even baked Cheetos ,y crackers,rye wheat or sour dough breads,rolls,potatoes fries to chips well that’s it everything else gets turned down. So just finding healthier versions of them.
    Cheese sandwich healthiest wheat bread add provolone or Swiss slice with cheddar cheese shredded y too with a speck of butter cook it. Mac y cheese homemade no box stuff to add nutrition in.etc etc
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My kids eat a wide range of foods, but they are not a fan of stews. My daughter in particular needs to be able to identify the ingredients. Meh. I did a summer baked pasta dish yesterday with corn, yellow squash, mushroom, canned tomatoes, and green onions. The sauce was pureed cottage cheese with some egg white and a bit of milk and 1 oz of parm. I added some mozareela in and 1/2 lb of bowties. Baked it up and it was a huge hit.

Quinoa casserole: https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2016/09/19/quinoa-casserole-mexican-black-bean/I add my own peppers and onions as well.

Breakfast for dinner works well

My kids prefer the fancy pancakes, but I do a protein rich pancake they will also eat that is 60g oats 120g cottage cheese and 120g egg whites. that makes 8 pancakes.

cheese sandwiches and soup is a good default.

I also do a home made mac and cheese with just flour and milk for the white sauce and shredded cheese. Mix it with frozen mixed vegetables or broccolli on the side.

My kids also really like salmon and broccolli. It might be worth introducing new proteins and see what they like.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Some recipes that work well for my kiddo:

Salmon, broccoli, and red potatoes
    https://www.splendidtable.org/recipes/one-pan-roasted-salmon-with-broccoli-and-red-potatoes

Potato hash with tomatoes, pepper and kale
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/potato_hash_with_tomato_35594

Mexican Mac & Cheese - Still some cheese, but less, with added veggies and spices for flavor. Can substitute yogurt or a nut milk for the 2% if desired. Either way, start with just a little and watch the consistency. I don't use 2 cups of liquid.
    https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/mexican-mac-and-cheese/

Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole
    https://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/broccoli-rice-and-cheese-casserole

Pasta Salads
    My kiddo does not like dressing on his.
    Greek Pasta Salad
    https://www.spendwithpennies.com/summer-pasta-salad/#wprm-recipe-container-134104
    Summer Pasta Salad - I skip the radish for the kiddo, and use frozen rather than grilled corn.
    https://www.spendwithpennies.com/summer-pasta-salad/#wprm-recipe-container-134104

Mexican Pinto Beans
    https://minimalistbaker.com/mexican-pinto-beans-scratch-1-pot/

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    My kids are moderately picky, what I’ve found is they eat a little better if I just serve the components without a lot of sauces or having things being mixed in a casserole.

I will make stir fry and after cooking the chicken, snap peas and carrots I put that on the kids plate with plain white rice and then add the sauce for my husband and I. Stir fry or butter chicken with naan bread is a big hit for my kids but they could eat their weight in plain white rice. Same with butter noodles with Parmesan, so again, I might cook chicken with veg and make a light sauce to serve over some pasta but I put it on the kids plates before I mix everything together to plate it for myself and husband.

We also grill a lot in the summer and they will eat whatever protein I’m serving (usually chicken or pork tenderloin) , we have a starch and some vegetables.

As others mentioned tacos are popular in our house, breakfast for dinner, paninis, make your own pizzas, burgers.

The other thing I’ve always done is to make sure they have foods on their plates they do like instead of only serving something unfamiliar that they are scared to try. For example they won’t eat a lot of different veg so I typically put a little of what I’m making (asparagus) on their plates to try and then serve something they do like (raw carrots) so they know they have foods they enjoy. When I make salmon I give them a tiny portion but make them fish sticks. They always have fruit and if they really struggle with the meal they can make a sandwich.

I was a super picky eater as a kid so I have patience for it and never stressed much about “you eat what I make or you go hungry”.

Good websites for family recipes: skinnytaste, skinnymom, weelicious