Exercising, calorie deficit, tracking, yet not losing weight?

Options
So I did strict keto as a New Years Resolution in 2018. i went from 197 to my lowest at 154 at the beginning of September. I maintained, and in December I got injured at my job and went on light duty. (I am a correctional officer so my activity level was very high) I was on light duty for 6 months and just got off. I weighed myself at the end and I went up to about 172. Between full time work, school, and low energy output, I can understand the weight gain. At the beginning of July I was cleared and I began the high activity of the jail, and walking my dog for about 45-60 mins every morning at a fast pace. I have also began to track my food and limit any junk food. I have always done low carb and I am more strict on the keto side. I just weighed myself yesterday and I am up to 176. Someone please let me understand why I am gaining weight and not losing! According to my apple watch I am walking about 15,000 steps a day and burning anywhere from 600-700 calories. I am going crazy and feel like giving up!

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Don’t give up. Figure it out. Could it be water from the sudden extra exercise? Or TOM? Could it be your weight just doing that little dance it does when you make a big change in eating? Stick with it, keep doing what you know is right, and give it a little more time.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Read this. It'll help you understand scale fluctuations and make you feel better, promise: http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It will vary. I actually lost weight a few days on my 'off (movie) day'.

I hit a wall, and folks here suggested I up my intake and protein. (I was way undereating.)

Keep the faith.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    A quick note that Apple watch (and other fitness trackers) aren't accurate for calorie burn. Can apparently be off by 30%
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing all your food with a food scale?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • rthecreator
    rthecreator Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am weigh all my food and have been consistently tracking on the app. I know that I have high expectations but the weight loss is definitely a lot slower than it was last year. I have the premium version so I set my protein, fats and carbs to make sure I keep those in check. I know that I need to be patient it is just killing me that I don't have the same results as I did last year.
  • Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I am weigh all my food and have been consistently tracking on the app. I know that I have high expectations but the weight loss is definitely a lot slower than it was last year. I have the premium version so I set my protein, fats and carbs to make sure I keep those in check. I know that I need to be patient it is just killing me that I don't have the same results as I did last year.

It's hard to be patient, but you mentioned you began really becoming more active at the beginning of July! It's July 10th! I'd consider that to be still the beginning of July. My point is that you just need to relax and just trust the process. Don't convince yourself that this time around is harder or slower, because you have no idea yet. In 2 months from now you may be thinking something completely different.

In a week if you're down to 168 you'll feel awesome and look back at how you were freaking out for no reason. It's very possible you are retaining some water from increasing your daily activity quickly.

Just be patient and give it some time. Enjoy the process and just trust what you are doing is working. In 2-3 weeks, if you've still not lost any weight, then maybe re adjust. Just be patient for now and trust you are doing things properly.

One more thing. Don't give up..... That doesn't do you ANY good. All that's going to do is upset yourself and you'll probably convince yourself to try again later. You've already started, so see it through. The times going to pass regardless, you may as well get to where you want to be over the next few months. You feel amazingly proud of yourself when you're through.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,660 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You abruptly increased your activity level. You're retaining water because of that.
    If you're female your weight can also vary substantially throughout your monthly cycle.

You need a good month of data before you can really tell which way your weight trend is heading. Weight trend app or web site is a good thing to use in addition to logging on MFP!
  • rthecreator
    Options
    @Rammer123 thank you so much for the encouragement. The weight gain has hit me hard, especially with having a mild body dysmorphia. I know that I need to trust the process and continue doing what I have been doing. Thank you again!
  • rthecreator
    Options
    @PAV8888 I am a female, but I haven't noticed that my weight was affected by my monthly too much. Thank you so much for the help!