Need more protein - how do I add more without eating significantly more?

Options
skrowe88
skrowe88 Posts: 52 Member
I eat a pescatarian diet (no meat except fish).

According to various sources (American Dietetic Association, CDC, World Health Organization), I need to eat within the range of 58 - 204 grams of protein a day. The ADA says I need AT LEAST 94 grams a day with a goal of regularly going over 100 in order to lose weight.

My problem is that I try to eat something with protein at every meal, but I still can't seem to get enough. I'll use my protein sources from yesterday as an example:
Breakfast: protein shake with banana and almond milk - 23 grams
Lunch: quinoa, bean and mango bowl - 12 grams
Snack: protein bar - 20 grams, yogurt - 8 grams
Dinner: homemade taco-style salad with beans - 7 grams
TOTAL: 70 grams, ~1300cals

I only get ~1400 calories a day, so that accounts for most of them.

So, my question is, how do I get in more protein without eating more? Add more powder? Eat straight eggs? I do eat tofu a few times a week, but that usually replaces a protein bar or something. I'm open to any advice (except eating meat). Thank you!

Replies

• mermaidsgrave
    mermaidsgrave Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use low fat cottage cheese on my lunch salads instead of a dressing. I usually have tuna in the salad too.
    I eat hard boiled eggs as a snack or with my protein shake at breakfast. I usually blend the banana into the protein shake with almond milk and some ice to make it nice and thick and then just eat the hard boiled egg with it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Look at your diary at the end of the day, increase portions of foods with protein and decrease portions of higher cal foods without protein.

Also, range of protein to protect against muscle loss when losing weight is 0.65-0.85% of a healthy goal weight. For me, that's a range of 78-102 g. Given that your calorie goal is only 1400, you might not need as much as you think (I am only 5'3, but if you are a lot taller 1400 might be low).

That said, to address the specific menu:

Breakfast: protein shake with banana and almond milk - 23 grams -- use a higher protein mix in than almond milk, such as low fat greek yogurt, cottage cheese, or soy milk. I often add silken tofu. Also, you can save cals by using half a banana and some strawberries. Adding greens will add a little protein, as would peanut powder. I often have 100% plant based smoothies with no protein powder that have 30 g of protein (around 400 cal).

Lunch: quinoa, bean and mango bowl - 12 grams -- more beans, less quinoa.

Snack: protein bar - 20 grams, yogurt - 8 grams

Dinner: homemade taco-style salad with beans - 7 grams -- this seems really low for a bean based dish, I'd again use more beans, more green veg that also have protein, maybe add some other source of protein.

Also, if you eat fish, fish has a lot of protein, include it in one of the meals. Other good sources of protein not mentioned are nuts and seeds (they are high cal for the protein, but good for you too), dairy (low fat dairy is often a great source if you tolerate it), eggs, and tofu (as you mentioned), tempeh, and seitan.

Also, you might be surprised at how much the protein from non starchy veg can add up for very few cals.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I struggled with protein vs calorie for awhile and generally found a lot of the foods people list as good sources of protein aren't that good as a protein to calorie ratio. I'm trying to limit my 'supplement' intake, and set myself a soft goal for protein per meal/snack as a guide. Slowly, I've learned ways to increase the protein but a lot of that is meat, fish, etc. What I have done though is:
    • Avoided the protein bars because I felt they were too high in calories for the protein, saving more calories for real food.
    • Use whey isolate instead of concentrate due to calorie efficiency. Concentrate has more milk nutrients but also more calories per gram of protein. I might switch when I hit maintenance but I eat enough dairy I'm not in any need.
    • Switched yogurt to skyr (Siggi's 0% fat, 5.3oz plain in US: 90 cal, 6 carbs (4 sugar), 16g protein). This is the most efficient non-meat product I've found so far. I started by mixing it half and half with their fruit flavors and then leaning that out to save me some calories and carbs but as long as you stick the the flavors that are lower calorie it is a small difference.
    • I do bedtime casein. I've seen the argument that it's not more effective than whey in this situation, I'm good with the casein. (I also enjoy eating it instead of drinking it.)
    • Eat an egg a day. I do this more because my dietician says they provide nutrients otherwise hard to get, but its easy enough to fit one in at some point.
  • skrowe88
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Replace the almond milk with light soy milk.
    Replace the beans with tofu, tempeh, TVP, soy crumbles, etc.
    Have Greek yogurt instead of plain yogurt.
    Thank you, these are great recommendations!

MikePTY wrote: »
    It seems like your day is missing the pesca part of pescatarian. All forms of seafood are high in protein. Adding a serving of fish or shellfish a day would go a long way.
    You're right, Mike. I never said I was a good pescatarian! It's a newer practice for me. I need to find more ways to add fish.

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Look at your diary at the end of the day, increase portions of foods with protein and decrease portions of higher cal foods without protein.

Also, range of protein to protect against muscle loss when losing weight is 0.65-0.85% of a healthy goal weight. For me, that's a range of 78-102 g. Given that your calorie goal is only 1400, you might not need as much as you think (I am only 5'3, but if you are a lot taller 1400 might be low).
    That's a good point because I'm probably not portioning things out the way I should. Also, I am 5'10" and have about 60 lbs to lose. Is 1400 too low? I can usually stay within that but it takes a lot of planning.

Thank you for the ideas, everyone! I'm going to stress a bit less about numbers and just focus on maxing out the quality of my calories!

• slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Can you do gluten? I find Seitan is an easy way to add protein to my day. I also snack on low fats cheese. Beans, while super healthy are really a split between carb and protein. You want to make sure you are adding in some high protein foods. Also not suggested yet but some vegetables are relaly high in protain compared to others. brocolli for example. Adding in high protein veggies is a good way to maximize your protein.
  • skrowe88
    Options
    slbbw wrote: »
    Can you do gluten? I find Seitan is an easy way to add protein to my day.
    I've never had sietan (that I'm aware of)! I'll have to look into it. Thank you!

And I didn't realize some veggies are that high in protein - I'll look into it!

• mtsprout
    mtsprout Posts: 20 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I'm a vegan chiming in to second the recommendation for seitan. I make my own at home, and it's high protein, low-carb, and can be made to taste like different things depending on how you prepare it (like tofu). I make a shake in the morning that's 12 oz. unsweetened soy milk and 24g of peanut butter powder. It's 220 calories, 23g of protein and only 14g of carbs.

For my lunches I usually have only protein and veggies, like a Field Roast sausage (25g protein), homemade baked tofu, or boca patties (11g protein each). It doesn't bother me to use mock meats for a protein boost mid-day, and it helps me get up around 100g of protein on 1500 calories daily. It can seem expensive, but Field Roast is $6/pack of 4, and Boca chick'n patties are $3.50/pack of 4. If I have a patty and a sausage for lunch, that's 370 calories, 36g of protein, and 29g of carbs, for a total meal cost of $2.38. Add some hot sauce and mustard and it increases sodium, but is very tasty!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I also eat a pescatarian diet. I often add a scoop of nutritional yeast to meals to boost the protein a bit. It mixes well with eggs, quinoa/rice, tofu etc.
    Also soy milk instead of almond adds about 8 grams of protein to a protein shake.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It seems like your day is missing the pesca part of pescatarian. All forms of seafood are high in protein. Adding a serving of fish or shellfish a day would go a long way.

Low fat cottage cheese and low fat milk (almond milk doesn't have much protein in it) are other options.

It is true that macros don't matter for weight loss, but getting enough protein is important for muscle retention during weight loss.

This! I eat primarily pescatarian just because that's what I like to eat. Baked fish with veggies, shrimp stir fry, seafood gumbo with cauliflower rice, crawfish, seared scallops with veggies. Trader Joes sells really good tuna/salmon burger patties that are great to make a fish sandwich with using Sandwich Thins buns, lettuce and homemade tartar sauce with fat free mayo.

Make your protein the star of your meal and add veggies. I love beans, but honestly limit my consumption of them because the protein to calorie payout is low.

Snacks: Protein bars (with good protein to calorie ratio), Lo/No fat Greek Yogurt, low fat cheese, cottage cheese, cheese crisps, high protein ice cream

Breakfast: scrambled egg whites with veggies, protein pancakes with ultra-filtered skim milk, proats, etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    skrowe88 wrote: »

You're right, Mike. I never said I was a good pescatarian! It's a newer practice for me. I need to find more ways to add fish.

That's a good point because I'm probably not portioning things out the way I should. Also, I am 5'10" and have about 60 lbs to lose. Is 1400 too low? I can usually stay within that but it takes a lot of planning.

Thank you for the ideas, everyone! I'm going to stress a bit less about numbers and just focus on maxing out the quality of my calories!

You could certainly eat more and lose.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Others have given good advice, so I'm just going to drop a link:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

That thread links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by protein efficiency, most protein for fewest calories. You may have to scroll past some meaty things near the top, but even as a vegetarian (ovo lacto), I found it an extremely useful resource.

When first using MFP, I made it a habit to review my diary, looking for foods relatively high in calories that didn't have much protein, then thinking about whether I could happily reduce or eliminate those foods, replacing them with something else I enjoyed eating that better contributed to my goals. Repeating that process gradually moved my overall eating in a direction that was more nutrious, but still enjoyable and satisfying.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Three words. SHRIMP AND TUNA.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

Ya, I'm a few inches shorter than you, have had that much to lose and would definitely be hangry on 1400 calories.

Are you exercising? What % of the calories you earn from exercise are you eating back?
  • TallGent66
    TallGent66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Salmon (in the can, convenient).
  • skrowe88
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Are you exercising? What % of the calories you earn from exercise are you eating back?
    I should exercise more, but right now I'm pretty sedentary (desk job) and I walk 2-3 miles and do yoga about 3 times a week (in addition to my normal daily step count). Not sure how much that earns me back, but usually not more than 100 cals at a time.
    Three words. SHRIMP AND TUNA.
    Unfortunately, I can't stomach shrimp! But I am eating more tuna and salmon.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I can't stomach shrimp! But I am eating more tuna and salmon.

If you are looking for lower-calorie fish options try some of the white fish - cod, haddock, halibut, mahi-mahi, etc.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Someone said it earlier I think- but egg whites can be made into scrambles or omelettes etc- and mix in plenty of veggies