1,200 calories

Options
2»

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Patrice120 wrote: »
    Focus on eating mostly real food, not processed food. This will be more satisfying and help you stay full.

Here is a 1,200 calorie day that is satisfying and realistic. It assumes someone works outside the home and eats out for lunch like I do. I try to focus on getting a good balance of carbs, protein, fat and fruit or vegetables in each meal to help feel full.

Breakfast: 2 egg scramble with a handful of cut of veggies, 1 slice of whole wheat toast (270 calories)

Lunch: Chick fil-a chicken wrap and a large fruit cup (420 calories)

Dinner: Start with a salad of mixed greens and various veggies and 2 Tbs dressing (something with some fat, not nonfat)...then cook 4 oz skinless chicken breast (with some kind of seasoning of or a small amount of BBQ or teriyaki sauce), 3/4 cup brown rice and some steamed broccoli...note: make and eat the salad first, then cook and eat dinner because your cravings will settle down a few minutes after finishing the salad (510 calories)

Drinks: water and maybe an unsweet iced tea with lunch (or other no calorie drinks, but avoid artificial sweeteners)

How would a processed meal with the same macros be less satiating than a "real" one? I might agree with you a little on satisfaction but not across the board. There are many "unreal" foods that I find very satisfying because I have no intention of preparing them myself. Chicken strips/nuggets would be a good example.

• unyquescorpion
    unyquescorpion Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    amioc wrote: »
    Hi I’m finding it so hard to stick to 1,200 calories I keep going over because I’m so hungry all the time! Does anyone have any tips on how to stick to 1,200 calories and not be so hungry?

I drink GNC Total Lean 25 Protein Shake.. it works well for me.
  • StephanieBam
    StephanieBam Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I feel like this post could have been typed by me! And, I thought that 1200 was the goal for losing weight...

Not to completely hijack this post, do any of you have thoughts for calories/day I should aim for:
    -female
    -186 lbs
    -5'5"
    -mostly sedentary (walks around 1 mile per day)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I have a ton of weight to loose 60kilos I’m finding 1200 cal hard. Really hard. Any advice or tips anyone ?

Try to drink more water and replace a meal with a protein shake

why a shake? nothing leaves me less satisfied than drinking my calories. I get that it works for some but why recommend replacing an entire meal with a shake?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I feel like this post could have been typed by me! And, I thought that 1200 was the goal for losing weight...

Not to completely hijack this post, do any of you have thoughts for calories/day I should aim for:
    -female
    -186 lbs
    -5'5"

1200 is a random number in the zeitgeist. it's NOT appropriate for many/most (but IS appropriate for very short, very sedentary people).
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/

Use the site as it was meant to, put in your stats in MFP. You are not that far from healthy weight so i'd go for 1 or 1.5lb/week rate of loss. Eat back exercise calories from your walk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

-female
    -186 lbs
    -5'5"

Did you put your stats into MFP? Women typically get 1200 calories because they select the most aggressive rate of loss MFP will give you, regardless of whether or not that is reasonable for that person.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    My height is 5ft3inches my weight is 60kg but I’d like to be around 53kg and tone up. I’ve recently joined a gym. The rate of loss I’ve set is 2pound a week is that unrealistic?

Yes. You're already a healthy weight. You should really only be shooting for 1/2 pound a week.

^^^This...
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

-female
    -186 lbs
    -5'5"

You have around 40 lbs to lose to get into the healthy weight range for your height, so you should be aiming for @ 1 lb per week. MFP will probably give you around 1300-1350 cals as a goal. Make sure you log any exercise you do and eat back at least some of those calories. This thread might be useful to you, and anyone else getting started:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

And as someone else who gets a pretty low calorie goal, this thread helped me a lot:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

I've probably added a good 100 calories or so to my NEAT in the last year. It doesn't sound like much, but when you don't need many calories in the first place, every little bit helps. Also when you get naturally more active during the day, I find it makes getting motivated to workout and add even more calories into the formula easier.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I just want the old me back ASAP!

Set realistic goals, be consistent and most of all be patient...
  • MichelleMinn
    MichelleMinn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you're miserable at 1200, you should eat more. Of course you aim for good choices, and think of nutrition, but this is your life. Be happy AND healthy. What you're doing should not be or feel like a punishment.

As the tortoise said, slow and steady wins the race. ;)
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    [/quote]Set realistic goals, be consistent and most of all be patient...
    [/quote]

[/quote As the tortoise said, slow and steady wins the race. ;)[/quote]

Best advice here. I am 5'3" and was set at 1200 too. I was hungry too. I started eating fresh food, veggies, fruit, eggs and lean meat. I overcame the hunger part, I think my body adjusted after a few weeks. I lost 18lbs, more than I intended by 3#, but I am now watching macros instead of calories. I still stay within my calorie allowance but that is just a by product now of watching the macros.

Give yourself time and be patient.
  • tobefit100
    tobefit100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Can you all Explain how the macros work?
  • Xiao_Ya_
    Xiao_Ya_ Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I understand the difficulty... I am 4'11" and about 102 pounds... way too heavy for an Asian woman. I too am on the 1,200 calorie diet, and can be so sporadic... barely hungry and eating 650 calories a day or starving and eating well over 1,500. What I've found is that smoothies taste great and if you make a good one it can hold. Also lean meat is filling and low-calorie. Salads, bread, noodles... I get hungry much too fast. A good source of protein and a little healthy fat can go a long way :smile:
  • Calorie_Counting_K
    Calorie_Counting_K Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i just started calorie counting and MFP calculated 1200 calories for me too. Im 5ft 6, slightly active (i commute to and from work and always running around with 2 kids) i am within my BMI but want to shed around 1 stone. Is 1200 cals too little? Do u guys follow macros too which is all new to me - does everyone stick to the figures MFP gives u? Thank you....
    Kay xx
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hi all, i just started calorie counting and MFP calculated 1200 calories for me too. Im 5ft 6, slightly active (i commute to and from work and always running around with 2 kids) i am within my BMI but want to shed around 1 stone. Is 1200 cals too little? Do u guys follow macros too which is all new to me - does everyone stick to the figures MFP gives u? Thank you....
    Kay xx

With only 1 stone to lose, you should be set to no more than 1 lb per week, so if you chose more than that, dial it down. You should also log your exercise and eat back some of those too.

The mfp default macros are fine. Many of us look at the protein and fat goals as minimums and let carbs fall where they may.