Best protein sources for vegans?

Hey guys!
Could you recommend me this one? Besides lentils and maybe rice protein powder, which are your protein sources to go?

Thank you!

Replies

• ElizabethHanrahan
    ElizabethHanrahan Posts: 102 Member
    tofu and any legume (beans)
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 841 Member
    I'm vegetarian, not vegan, but some of my favorite vegan protein sources come from pulses, especially black beans, chickpeas, great northern beans, lentils, edamame, and pinto beans ^_^

I also rely heavily on sweet peas, broccoli, and grains (pretty much all of them have more protein than you think). Nuts, nut butters, seeds (like chia or flax), and high-protein milks like soy or cashew are also good options. In addition, potatoes and dark leafy greens like spinach and kale are surprisingly excellent protein sources.

If you're looking for more processed proteins, tofu, seitan, and tempeh are great options. Also, nutritional yeast is wonderful for making vegan cheeses and is high protein. :)

As a vegetarian, I use eggs, yogurts, and cheeses to help hit my protein goals but those aren't necessary and you can find a lot of great vegan alternatives to these either in-store or by looking up recipes online.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Seitan, hands down the highest protein source available to vegans. I make my own and its pretty easy for a basic recipe, but it can be doctored p to a million different forms. Tempeh is also a great one given it is fermented. I like to make Facon from it or taco crumbles. I also use sprouted tofu regularly. Beyond that grains and protein heavy vegetables. Beans nuts etc.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I don't eat much seitan, but it is the easiest protein source. Also if you want to use a protein powder, check protein amounts. I'd guess pea-based ones might have more than rice.

When I'm eating 100% plant based, beans and lentils, peas, chickpeas. Also tofu and tempeh. And the trick is to get additional protein from foods like vegetables, nuts and seeds, and whole grains that don't have much on their own but add up.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Tofu! Also, legumes and whole grains will combine complementary amino acids to make a complete protein, which is why so many cultures eat rice / beans in some combo, particularly if they are meat-scarce or vegetarian (think Indian, Caribbean, central America).

https://www.verywellfit.com/vegan-protein-combinations-2506396
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    When I was vegetarian, I was addicted to original tempeh and Sweet Earth Grounds.

Still love original tempeh, but now don't live near any stores that sell Sweet Earth Grounds. Even in some cities, I would have to special order from Whole Foods.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Tofu legumes quinoa hemp tempeh. Brands of meat replacements( if they are your thing). Also seitan with the added bonus of it being super tasty . I also use a pulsin pea protein powder in my smoothies and oats