Best substitute for light cream in coffee?

Options
I am an iced coffee addict. Ok, maybe not ADDICT, but it's one of my daily pleasures that I don't wish to give up, but I have always used light cream in it, which is obviously a lot of calories. What is a decent tasting, but lower calorie alternative? I have tried the coconut/almond "cream" and it was disgusting. I know there are fat free creamers out there, but they're loaded with crap. Anyone found anything better? Thanks!

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I actually like almond alternatives, so lucky me, yay! But (and I don't know if this would work) could you water down your usual cream, still enjoy your coffee for a fraction of the calories?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    How many calories is it adding? I keep trying almond milk in coffee/flat white and just don't like it so take the hit for the calories of my milk. I try having good quality coffee so I don't use a ton of milk. So another option is slowly over time reducing quantity of creamer?

enjoying my morning coffee is important to me so i was willing to balance a reasonable amount of calories and keep something i like.

oddly I prefer almond milk in tea...
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Medium fat cream and full fat cream.
  • rxtraci
    rxtraci Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use nutpods, they're the best substitute I've found. I too was a serious cream addict and needed a replacement when I decided to eliminate dairy from my diet.

https://www.amazon.com/nutpods-Original-Unsweetened-Dairy-Free-Creamer/dp/B01ENL3PXA/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?keywords=nut+pods&qid=1562763418&s=gateway&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1
  • dxkorn99divine2
    dxkorn99divine2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love my morning coffee. So I started using a little bit less cream (but the same kind) and a zero calorie sweetener like Stevia (has a weird after taste), Truvia, or Erythritol.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I'm a coffee addict, have to have lots of cream and sugar. Love my lattes!!

I recently started looking for alternatives, they were all gross.

Finally made one I'm growing accustomed to and enjoying.

1/4 cup Half and half.
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 tbsp stevia, monk fruit, or swerve.

This lasts me two cups of coffee.

Heat on low, stir with fork or whisk until cocoa is mostly blended (and starts looking like coffee creamer).

In the beginning, I was adding 2 tbsp of stevia and 1 tsp vanilla extract. But taste buds have adjusted to cocoa flavor, and I don't need as sweet any longer.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I just use milk. Tastes pretty close.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee black, so probably not much help here. I'd just suggest reducing the amount you already use, or maybe try skim milk.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think I am just going to keep using the good stuff and try and slowly reduce the amount. Thanks for the suggestions!

I think this is possibly the best bet, or perhaps try a slightly lower fat cream or milk. I weaned myself down to a splash of Fairlife 2% milk, if I go any lighter or less and I don't enjoy it. It ends up being 1/3 cup milk total per day, 40 calories.
  • pinkparadox
    pinkparadox Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love my coffee and I love it VERY strong with a generous portion of half and half, but I have successfully changed to about 1/3 half and half and 2/3 Fairlife whole milk. And I actually prefer the taste now. I may push myself to try just the Fairlife, but I'm with you - I won't wreck my coffee for a handful of calories!
  • lcatalan93
    lcatalan93 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Have you've tried doing protein powder in your coffee? I usually add half a scoop of my fave chocolate peanut butter protein powder with my black coffee in the mornings that I dont even need milk or creamer anymore. I have not tried it cold tho xD
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    When I buy half & half instead of the usual 2% milk, I find I don't use as much - a tablespoon will do, as opposed to 2 ounces of milk. The calories are equivalent.

I think I like the half & half better, but it's only a slim margin.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I started buying pre-made cold brew (Stok unsweetened). I think it tastes great without any additives (keep in mind I generally drink black coffee). My kids even like it.

If I feel like splurging, I do add a serving of half and half...it's 40 calories.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I kept my coffee the same. It's my breakfast now.
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I drink either cold brew or iced coffee and I have slowly decreased the amount of vanilla oat milk creamer I add to it. I currently drink 16 oz of coffee with between 5 and 15 of the creamer, which is a max of 25 calories. Changing over slowly has made it an easy adjustment for me, and I still really enjoy my coffee.

If you like a sweeter coffee, consider cold brew as it naturally is less bitter.

I like the idea of adding protein powder and I can't wait to try it tomorrow.