Eating Out

I notice in the data base some of the same meals have different calorie count. How do you pick which one is correct? Not every restaurant gives the calories for something you have customized off their menu.

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I guess, and hope I'm over estimating.

There's only so much you can do with food you don't make, so pick the most likely seeming number and move on.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    In a lot of cases, at least in the UK for larger chains, the info is on the restaurant's website but you usually have to hunt quite hard for it. I tend to click on the Nutrients button and look at the date logged / how many macros other than just calories have been entered. More recent is (usually) more accurate, especially if someone also filled in all the other macro info. Failing that, I go for the higher option unless it looks ridiculously unlikely.
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I tend to look at the range and pick something in the middle to upper range. If I'm really not sure, I pick the most 'expensive' option eg if I eat tiramisu, a profiterole tart, an enchilada etc that I have no clue of the actual calorie count I will usually pick the highest caloried option I can find just to be safe. For some things like sushi, sashimi, dumplings, noodles etc, there are usually enough items that I feel comfortable enough to pick the medium expensive option :)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,581 Member
    I tend to take pictures of what I eat and then log by breaking down the individual components. There is, of course, an element of guessing as to the approximate weights and amount of oil/butter/cream etc that may have been used during cooking.