I can’t figure out what to eat to help me lose weight

Options
I am 5”7 and I weigh 312 pounds for the past 10 days I have cut my calories down to 1200 calories and have not consumed any soft drinks or drinks with calories, and have been packing in the protein, please some one help me I am trying to lose 100 pounds in a year. Thank you everyone!!!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Why 1200 calories? that seems unnecessarily low for someone of your height/weight (1500 is the minimum recommendation for a male).

If you want this to work long term you need to find a sustainable way of eating and 1200 calories isn't it.

Specific foods don't help you lose weight. Weight loss is down to calories, eat less than you burn and at your stats your maintenance intake will be around 2900 calories if you are sedentary, so to lose 2lbs per week, you're looking at around 1900 calories + exercise calories. Use the guided set-up in MFP and it will give you your calorie intake based on your stats, your non-exercise activity level and the rate of loss you've chosen.

Macro-wise you should aim for at least the minimum recommendations for fat (fat helps to absorb vitamins/minerals) and protein (helps maintain muscle whilst losing weight), the default macros from MFP should be a good enough starting point.

You can eat all the foods you enjoy, in moderation, but for good nutrition, try to include a good amount of fruit, vegetables, lean protein and healthy fats.

• tannerkendall48
    tannerkendall48 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the help!! what I meant by what to eat as in, I’m looking for someone to help me get a meal prep that is consistent in the macros I need so I get all the vital nutrients I need to lose weight, I really do thank you very much.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the help!! what I meant by what to eat as in, I’m looking for someone to help me get a meal prep that is consistent in the macros I need so I get all the vital nutrients I need to lose weight, I really do thank you very much.

This would be highly individual based on what foods you do and don't like, and is defintely something you can do for yourself.

Have you purchased a food scale? If not, it's the best investment you'll make and it's around $20. Weight and log *everything* you eat in your diary here. After a few weeks of data, it will give you the info you need to make healthy, sustainable changes.

And yes, 1200 calories per day for a male is unsafe and totally unnecessary. Yes, you'll lose weight, but you'll also lose muscle. You simply cannot get the nutrition you need on a daily basis eating that little and the repercussions of doing this to yourself are long lasting. Please don't.

Set up your stats here in MFP and set your goal to lose 2lbs per week.
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I'll add as well that to start with it might just be easier to focus on calories and start gradually making changes to your nutrition, rather than a massive overhaul of your diet, that way you can make habits that you can stick to.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    welcome and good luck!

There is no food that makes you lose weight. weight loss is about eating less than your burn regularly over a long period of time. What keeps on person full and satisfied will not help another. some find they need carbs in their diet to feel full and succeed. Others more fat. Others more protein. Just ensure you get hte minimum needed in protein and fat daily and the rest is about what works for YOU as an individual.

My number 1 suggestion is to not start off with so many changes and extremes that you set yourself up to fail. , don't try to go to extreme with eating too little and not eating any of the foods you like opting only for what you consider "diet food". again this can set up for binges and failure over time. set a reasonable rate of loss you can maintain and don't feel starving on.

1200 is much too low given your stats - there is no need to extreme diet. it can be detrimental to your health AND impeed any real long term success.

Here are some great posts to read to get you started.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1399829/step-by-step-guide-to-losing-weight-with-myfitnesspal

and get a FOOD SCALE, crucial tool for most of us here
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • pontious11349
    pontious11349 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Respectfully I don't think you need to worry about macros at this stage. And I would discourage a meal plan as a year is just too long to remain rigid. With best endeavours we would all fail.

Instead. Keep it simple.

We all know fruit, veg, nuts, seeds are healthy. We can all spot a mile off heavily marinaded proteins.

If you keep your diet clean and wash it down with good ole water there is no need to stress about the numbers.

At 312 lbs I can guarantee you will make a noticeable change if you can do this. There are lots of tasty recipes online but only you will know what you like.

Then in a year when you find yourself closer to your goal / dream weight you can start dialling in a bit more if you feel the need. Chuck in some exercise you enjoy for good measure (even if its simply walking).

Whatever you do it must be sustainable. Good luck to you.

• tannerkendall48
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who has commented, so what I have been eating feels like a lot, I eat around 800 calories and I am already feeling full, I pretty much force myself to eat and get to the 1200 calories, I work a graveyard shift job so I eat at roughly 7:30 every morning and then i go workout for about 30mins to a hour, and then I get home and sleep and then I wake up and it’s roughly 4 or 5 pm so almost dinner, so I pretty much force myself to eat 600 calories, cause I have a big breakfast to make up for missing lunch, I don’t know how to solve this as well!!😣
  • tannerkendall48
    Options
    q5koc2srka8u.png

This is what my day usually looks like, and I end up having to force extra food in to hit 1200 calories
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a few responses. I range between 1100-1300 calories, and have lost 36 lbs in about 6 months - some people do it faster, some slower. This will likely be at least a year+ journey for you, with a lifestyle change. The biggest realization for me was that I was eating at least double what I should be (I wasn't eating terribly, but my portions were way out of whack). My maintenance level for my age/lifestyle - for desk work sadly is about 1500, so anything over that I gain weight. Everyone is different and you will need to figure out yours - I think your initial cut is drastic, recommend you shift to 1600 calories for a month and see how that goes. This won't be a fad, it will be a lifestyle. Then you can adjust. Enter your information into MFP - list sedentary, and start with just a brisk walk in am and pm if you can for the first month. I'm not going to tell you what specifically to eat, except make a list of items that make you binge, or keep eating - for me it is chips and licorice (I stay away from these, had my first black licorice in 6 months around my birthday and only about an 8 inch rope). You should aim for lean proteins - steamed when possible, like fish and shrimp simply because you can eat more - load on veggies. In the morning, I have found (for me) that yogurt or cottage cheese with berries has been helpful and keeps me satisfied. I water jog at a local pool 4 days a week, and strongly recommend it. Just find a lane, and you can water walk first, then add jogging ~ just an option that is aerobic, but low impact on the bones. Best of luck to you. Also sugar is not your friend, reduce as much as possible - read the labels, even good stuff has sugar - compare options, and go lower sugar. Sometimes your items will be slightly higher fat instead of higher sugar, for me that works. Best of luck.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I understand the hunger issue. My difficulty was getting enough calories while keeping volume down while losing weight. It all seems like people trying to eat more calories to gain weight or deal with hunger and looking for more volume while losing weight.

For me, I had major jaw surgery and couldn't eat. I went through a forced calorie deficit and lost my ability to eat volume. Even when I could eat again, I was scared to 'learn' to eat that volume because I didn't want to go back to how things were. I accidentally and stupidly lost a lot of weight in a bad way and broke my entire relationship with food.

Now I'm working with professionals, rebuilding. But most things people write here don't feel like they apply. I've slowly been learning to change my eating to improve my nutrients and calories management. You can do it too. If I understand right, you're more asking what you should eat (recipes, styles of food, etc) and not what calories?
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Have nuts and bars handy to eat during work.

get higher fat content cottage cheese

use any condiment with fat on the bread with your sandwich. Make an extra to bring to work.
  • tannerkendall48
    Options
    @gottswald yes bingo!!! That’s exactly what I am talking about!!
  • tinkerbellang83
    edited July 2019
    Options
    gottswald wrote: »
    I understand the hunger issue. My difficulty was getting enough calories while keeping volume down while losing weight. It all seems like people trying to eat more calories to gain weight or deal with hunger and looking for more volume while losing weight.

For me, I had major jaw surgery and couldn't eat. I went through a forced calorie deficit and lost my ability to eat volume. Even when I could eat again, I was scared to 'learn' to eat that volume because I didn't want to go back to how things were. I accidentally and stupidly lost a lot of weight in a bad way and broke my entire relationship with food.

Now I'm working with professionals, rebuilding. But most things people write here don't feel like they apply. I've slowly been learning to change my eating to improve my nutrients and calories management. You can do it too. If I understand right, you're more asking what you should eat (recipes, styles of food, etc) and not what calories?

However, you can't slowly change your eating if you give up in the short term because you burn out from not eating enough and that's where the advice on calories comes in.

Most of the advice here has been exactly what you say about making small changes over time to improve nutrition but to focus on calories first and foremost as this is how weight loss happens.

Below show's the pyramid of nutritional importance, calories being the most important thing.

tjdefelxzhl3.png
  • thelearningexpert
    thelearningexpert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's critical to add the calories and while you want to tackle one focus at a time, be careful to add in the right places so you form good habits instead of ones that require changing yet again. That means protein and good fat.

Here are some ideas: make your own pumpkin seeds drizzled with dark chocolate (or lightly dipped in chocolate - the key is YOU control the chocolate instead of buying junk where it's a lot of chocolate with a little seed in it). Seeds are GREAT for adding protein and fat QUICKLY. Since you tire of eating, add some natural sunflower seed butter, natural peanut butter (no powders for you because you need the fat), and whatever other nut butters you can into different things like protein shakes. Coconut milk in a can would be great to add as well...but as said previously, measure and document so you don't go overboard. BTW, pumpkin seeds are awesome for men. You might look into seeds that support male homones because endocrinology is everything in weight loss.

Once you make changes, hang in there with waiting. Your body is doing things (like your hormones are all over the place while the brain is trying to assess the changes you're making) even when the metrics (scale, body fat, etc.) don't change. I just instituted some changes 6 weeks ago and got frustrated because it took forever to kick my body's furnace on but it's finally happening. We can't expect our bodies to respond in 30 days. It can take...well, apparently 6 weeks after any moderate changes. And then, it will be like a flood of weight loss that doesn't stop unless you change something. (I've done this before and just have a shorter road home this time than you do right now.)

Of the macronutrients, prioritize getting your protein in FIRST (with plenty of water to flush your body), then FAT (don't skimp on it but make sure they're GOOD fats like nuts, seeds, fish, grass-fed beef, UNHEATED olive oil, cook w/avocado oil, etc.). I saw low-carb bread on your list...stay away. You need WHOLE, nutrient packed food. Try great wholegrain, even sprouted grain breads like Ezekiel bread. That'll help you add calories, too. Shoot, you can get seeded breads very easily too. That'll drive the calories in the right direction for protein/fat. They might not hit your taste buds right at first...but you WILL develop a taste for things like that as you stay away from added sugars and salt. You're body is looking for nutrients...not calories. Calories matter, but if you can't eat enough, you need to make sure every calorie is full of vitamins and nutrients - not "hollow" carbs, fats, and proteins. Most people (myself included) with extra weight have it because the body is under-nourished (despite being over-fed) and screaming for nutrients it's not getting.

• whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    If I were you, I'd base my new diet menu off of my old weight gain menu. Use the foods you like and the eating patterns you like, but just eat them in smaller quantities so you lose weight. I can tell you what I eat, but if you don't like the foods I like, it won't help. And I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks, but if you prefer to eat a different number of times per day, my preferences won't work for you. I almost always have eggs for breakfast. If you don't like eggs, that won't work.

However, if you want to know what to eat, yesterday, I had:

B:1 egg with 1 chicken apple sausage, 3 slices tomato, sautéed spinach, 2T half and half and 2 cups coffee

L:Chicken caesar salad with no croutons

D:Lamb sirloin & tzatziki sauce with mashed yams and asparagus

S:2 small turkey meatballs with marinara sauce

S: a small paleo snickerdoodle

S: a serving of Maxwell House's Cafe Vienna