dr Neal Barnard's diet to fight diabetes

Anybody try Dr Neal Barnard's vegan diet to combat diabetes? Any success stories?

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    I haven’t heard of him. Looking up online his diet doesn’t seem too wacky, but his own research seems to say it’s not necessary https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2677007/

Conclusions: Both diets were associated with sustained reductions in weight and plasma lipid concentrations. In an analysis controlling for medication changes, a low-fat vegan diet appeared to improve glycemia and plasma lipids more than did conventional diabetes diet recommendations. Whether the observed differences provide clinical benefit for the macro- or microvascular complications of diabetes remains to be established. This trial was registered at clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00276939.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    fdhunt1 wrote: »
    Anybody try Dr Neal Barnard's vegan diet to combat diabetes? Any success stories?

I would start by making sure you're doing what your doctor recommends as far as meds and lifestyle. If you are overweight, getting back into a healthy range will most likely give you the biggest bang for your buck in your efforts to manage the diabetes. If a vegan diet suits you, then I don't see any harm in following the program, but if you find that you're struggling to stay on track you can eat whatever way you prefer (assuming your doctor is OK with it) as long as you are getting sufficient nutrition. Best of luck!