Eating too much is why I'm fat.

Options
Ugh. I asked for some advice on contraceptive options on a PCOS forum.

All I've got is about low carb and how the reason I can't lose weight is my PCOS/IR, despite them currently being managed and it due to me overeating. I've noticed before on there it's never anybody's fault, it's always PCOS. Not the 4000 calories a day I've been stress eating lately. Jesus Christ, ridiculous ideas about weight loss annoy me. And if I could control my eating better I obviously would. Right now, I'm struggling.

Yes IR can cause issues and lower your metabolism. Yes, that can mean people can eat 1200 a day and not lose. But if I'm overeating and can't lose, THAT'S WHY. And I lost without issue when I controlled my calories better for a few months. My IR is controlled right now.

This thing of constant excuses why people can't lose weight without ever considering it's because they're just eating too much is ridiculous and so ingrained in culture now. It's unhealthy. And for years I kidded myself that it wasn't my fault. Taking responsibility is the first time I've lost any. And I'm annoyed that people are so damn focused on telling me it's because of what I'm eating (carbs) or my disease, instead of answering the question I was asking.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum. I just needed to post somewhere where people understand that 99% of the time, sensible calorie restriction will cause weight loss. And maybe similar situations of people trying to tell you it's everything but the amount you're eating? Has anybody else had people do this?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Strudders67 Spot on. No one says a cotton pickin' thing until you've lost about 60 or 70 lbs. Nothing. I don't know if it's really that unnoticeable or not easily observed. That's a really good color on you. What have you done. Ooooo, I dropped about 85 lbs. That is all.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite thread ever.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    My views do not apply to people that have mental baggage or disorders that need tools or treatment.

Usually the most obvious first way to tell if a weight loss/health website is a scam is when they tell you it is not your fault.

I view accepting responsibility as the first step to getting rid of the myths that help keep a person from making forward progress. I believed many of them myself and I was convinced I could not lose weight like other people.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    As some else with PCOS I couldn’t agree more. Yes it might be a bit harder but you still need to be a in a calorie deficit. Period. Too many people looking for excuses. I eat lower carb but these days I’ve been eating up to 200g because I’ve been very active and I’m lifting weights and circuit training. Nothing can make 3000 calories of food magically disappear. You have to eat less. Even then I’m definitely not starving myself. Two days ago I ate rice and 2200 calories. Just focus on getting more veggies and cutting down on sugars because they can make you more hungry due to IR. Also for stress management I would look into deep belly breathing and yoga. They’ve really helped me. Sleep better too if possible.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Even my doctor shrugged and said maybe it was genetics.

Its frustrating because CICO seems like both extremely common knowledge, and something that literally nobody knows/talks about. I'd have lost weight years ago if people had stopped enabling me by telling me it wasn't my fault and just explained how it worked.

Yeah, I was eating pretty "healthy." I was also eating enough for two or three people. I didn't know. It was easier to believe it wasn't my fault and I didn't research it because why would you research something you know is true? I've never googled whether the ocean is actually salty though I've never tasted it. I just accept the words of people I trust to know better.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @steveko89 Ain't that the truth. You'd like to say Oooo, just shut the hail up. You don't want to get too skinny now. I've never been 'skinny' in my entire lifetime. Not everyone has our best interests at heart and that includes those closest to us. That's why I like all of the birds of the same feather here. We understand one another. ;)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    I don't really think it has to go to an either or extreme. I don't agree with either the "no matter what I do, I can't lose weight" crowd, or the "well just stop eating so much" crowd. Weight loss is always just about calories in vs calories out. I am sure there is some medical mystery case out there of some person who really can't lose weight, but the vast vast majority of people who "can't lose weight" just haven't been able to successfully maintain a calorie deficit. So yes, from a factual standpoint, what most people need to do is just get their calories under control.

But that being said, I also understand that not everybody faces the same things. Things that may be easy for me aren't so easy for others, so I'm sympathetic to that, and I try not to be flippant of the challenges they face. My wife also has PCOS, and she is losing weight now because like everyone else, it is calories in vs calories out. But she still faces some unique challenges that make it harder. It's harder to prep cook and eat well when she is tired all the time, or when she suddenly crashes and get dizzy and needs to eat something right away. It's harder to go to the gym and be active when she is often in pain or even doing a little activity that she hasn't properly prepared for can wipe her out for the day. As she's lost weight, she's gotten better with these things, and is starting to win more often with them. But that doesn't mean they aren't still a factor. Sure, she got big because she ate too much, and she's losing because she's not eating as much, but her PCOS certainly played an assisting roll in her getting that way. For some people with more difficult medical conditions, it can play even more of a roll.

PCOS is also a disease that affects a lot of people in very different ways, from mild cases to very strong cases. My wife used to be in a PCOS group on FB that they eventually shut down because it just devolved into everyone yelling at and judging each other when one couldn't empathize with another because their experiences were different

So I don't think anyone should be complacent, and just think that weight loss is out of their control. But recognizing individual challenges is important. And I can empathize with those that have them.

I agree with you and I don't think the lesson here should EVER be to judge someone else for how the weight got there. I don't even think it is that helpful to judge yourself. You can't change the past. You should objectively evaluate how you get to be where you are and then make a plan to correct.

As I said I think understanding that eating in a surplus being the root cause (for most) for the weight gain helps to cut through the noise. It a hopeful lesson to learn because it means the opposite will lead you where you want to go.