Best substitute for light cream in coffee?

Options

Replies

• Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am NEVER giving up cream in my coffee. 1 tablespoon at 66 calories aint killed anyone......yet
  • Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    lcatalan93 wrote: »
    Have you've tried doing protein powder in your coffee? I usually add half a scoop of my fave chocolate peanut butter protein powder with my black coffee in the mornings that I dont even need milk or creamer anymore. I have not tried it cold tho xD

I just finished having iced coffee blended with some ice and a scoop of protein powder and it may be my new go to! Absolutely delicious, and I'm always struggling to hit my protein goal so this will definitely help. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Keep_on_cardio
    Keep_on_cardio Posts: 4,166 Member
    Options
    Coffee addict here too and not switching it up lol.. I will watch other items and keep the deliciousness as is. 😄 coffee is my happy place 💜
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i buy good coffee. then no cream is necessary
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i buy good coffee. then no cream is necessary

Oh, yeah - if I go through the trouble of using the Chemex rig, I can drink it black. I might still prefer cream, anyway, but could probably do with just a teaspoon.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am going to try the protein powder, that sounds good!

And probably easier than my homemade creamer.

Unfortunately, all of the sugar substitutes cause me nausea, headaches, and bloat except stevia and pure monk fruit (which tastes the closest to real cane sugar) but pure monk fruit is over the top expensive and not in my budget, so stuck with Stevia.
  • divinehipster69
    divinehipster69 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened cashew milk is creamier than almond milk and imo works better. I put a half cup of one or the other in mine. There's lots of calcium in it too.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    lcatalan93 wrote: »
    Have you've tried doing protein powder in your coffee? I usually add half a scoop of my fave chocolate peanut butter protein powder with my black coffee in the mornings that I dont even need milk or creamer anymore. I have not tried it cold tho xD

This time of year I brew the coffee (over coconut shreds) the day before and stick it in the frig once it's cooled a bit. The day of, I add chocolate protein powder, soaked chia seeds, water to make 24 oz, and call it breakfast.

Note: protein powder might clump if added directly to regular temperature hot coffee. You can "temper" the PP with water before adding it to the coffee, or let the coffee cool a bit.
  • kjkare
    kjkare Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Vanilla Premier Protein. The 11oz container is 160 calories and a little goes a long way in coffee.
  • omnpotnt
    omnpotnt Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The poster that said medium or heavy cream is actually right. They've done a study that basically says using real cream in coffee ultimately saves you calories because you become more satiated ( full) for longer, and ultimately consume fewer calories. That's why I always use full fat milk too, not to mention there are amino acids and enzymes removed by processing for lower fat that are essential for heart health. Low fat doesn't equal good for you necessarily....and look how much more sugar there is in lower fat dairy products than higher fat....sugar is far worse for you than the fat.
  • tylertrauma22
    tylertrauma22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using Nestle Sugar Free creamer usually the Italian cream. Then I add it to my new favorite magic coffee and I’m already down 10 pounds in the last 5 weeks! I love it!
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Sugar Free liquid creamer....hazelnut or French vanilla
  • Rawrmachin3
    Rawrmachin3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have an espresso machine so I make a double shot in the morning and mix it with my fairlife protein. 150 calories and 30g of protein in chocolate. I use it as I prefer it to powders that are on the market now.

I am not a sweet coffee type person so I like strong coffee but it’s really a great combo.
  • wvbeetlebug
    wvbeetlebug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Fat Free Half n Half is the way to go. I like regular half n half better but if I drink too much it makes my gallbladder very unhappy.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I just use milk. Tastes pretty close.

Same. Actually, I prefer milk in my iced coffee. I use half and half in my hot coffee.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    coffee mate toasted marshmallow all the way. I have found I need less of it to be satisfied now (18 ml) I used to dump probably 50-60 ml in each cup! yikes!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    on sundays, i put ice cream in my coffee.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    coffee mate toasted marshmallow all the way. I have found I need less of it to be satisfied now (18 ml) I used to dump probably 50-60 ml in each cup! yikes!

LOL, I consider 60mL of half and half a controlled serving size. Only 70 calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    omnpotnt wrote: »
    The poster that said medium or heavy cream is actually right. They've done a study that basically says using real cream in coffee ultimately saves you calories because you become more satiated ( full) for longer, and ultimately consume fewer calories. That's why I always use full fat milk too, not to mention there are amino acids and enzymes removed by processing for lower fat that are essential for heart health. Low fat doesn't equal good for you necessarily....and look how much more sugar there is in lower fat dairy products than higher fat....sugar is far worse for you than the fat.

Not everyone is satiated by fat. I tried "bullet proof" coffee when I first heard about it and didn't find it satiating at all.

In fact, I find my 273 calorie coffee with protein and fiber more filling than 400 calories worth of "bullet proof" coffee.