Help!

Options
I'm sad that I've fallen yet again - at my highest weight in years with no excuses.

I've never done much with the support boards on here but am feeling a need.
I'm 64 years old, just under 5'7" and today weighed 170lbs. I'd feel 100% better at 150...do I start at 5lbs at a time goals? Any/all support and suggestions are appreciated!

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    welcome and good luck!
    You can have one long term goal (ex: 150) with smaller short term goals (ex: 165). Whatever helps motiviate you.

Here are are threads with our best advice:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

Starting here is a good:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

and this may be useful to read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,555 Member
    Options
    I agree with focusing one habit at a time. As far as weight loss goes, I personally focus on 5 pounds at a time. I've also started making fitness goals as they've become more important over my weight loss. Taking measurements and before pictures also help take focus off the scale. Good luck!
  • kellyswimmer
    kellyswimmer Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I have found joining a daily weigh in for the month has really helped me.
  • jfeather01
    jfeather01 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pictures? Ugh! I'm not sure I'm up to that!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying different things and logging your efforts, the main thing is not to give in you can friend me you want and then I will see your progress ( if your under your daily target ) that has helped me as it motivates me when other are seeing my progress.
    I am 56 and have a bad back and hip so sometimes have to motivate myself to keep going too.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    jfeather01 wrote: »
    Pictures? Ugh! I'm not sure I'm up to that!

Looking at my "before picture" (which I took in my underwear) every single day..sometimes twice a day is what kept me motivated when I lost my weight. and I lost it ALL. I took a front picture and a profile picture.

Seeing that truth gets the job done and it works. Funny..but true.. no one has to see the photo but you.
  • gottswald
    gottswald Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    There are all sorts of things I wish I had done in the beginning that I didn't... count calories, start lifting, body composition testing, etc. Pictures are among those things. I don't even have pictures of me from that time and the first ones I took were after 50 lbs lost. There is a 'break' in my knowledge now, pre- and post- when I started lifting. The pre- is just a single meaningless number. It might not seem like much now, but as said above it's easier to do it and not share it then to not do it and then wish for it.

Also, to be honest, taking the picture forced me to face the truth. Once I was passed that self-deception, I felt clearer about my goals and my situation.

You know you (at least better than we do), so if you think something would work you should try the idea. Ultimately though, you're adopting a new lifestyle and a new physical you and there is no goal or reward greater in this endeavor than that accomplishment.
  • bamarshall02
    bamarshall02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Reading through the community topics a little a day has helped me a lot