Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    I like a capful in a glass of water. I do that at random times of the day so I don't have any specific time to recommend. I think it tastes most refreshing to me in the afternoon or evening. I do love the taste. I haven't used it for weight loss, but I think the study done on that shows you'd lose about a pound a year extra if you drink it in the way used in the study. I haven't tried it.

I would be interested in seeing that study. It might be a good way to demonstrate to my students that statistical significance and “significance” as the word is commonly used are not the same thing. One pound in a year might be statistically significant depending on the study design, but if I’m trying to lose weight and you told me I could lose an extra pound in a year if I drank vinegar every day, I would tell you I don’t personally consider that worth it.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    whoami67 wrote: »
    I like a capful in a glass of water. I do that at random times of the day so I don't have any specific time to recommend. I think it tastes most refreshing to me in the afternoon or evening. I do love the taste. I haven't used it for weight loss, but I think the study done on that shows you'd lose about a pound a year extra if you drink it in the way used in the study. I haven't tried it.

But a pound a year ???

Even if such a finding from a study is correct ( not saying it is or isn't) who would bother doing anything for the sake of a pound a year??
    Yes, that's why it's quite silly that it is so often promoted as a way to increase weight loss. Technically, it does, but only so minimally that walking across your living room once more each day would have about the same effect.

I drink it because it tastes delicious.

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes like bile. Which, not coincidentally, rhymes with vile. :D
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ACV is good for using as a natural hair rinse, getting rid of acne (both mix with water- apply like an astringent). Not so much for weight loss though.

Only if you have darker hair. It can actually change the color (darkening blonde hair) so blondes should use white vinegar.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,579 Member
    Options
    Mix it with mayo and sugar, pour over broccoli salad (broccoli, bacon, red onion, sunflower seeds). Delicious but not low calorie!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    You want low calorie?

Pulse a seeded jalapeno pepper in the food processor. Take out the steel knife blade and put in the grater attachment. Grate 3 peeled raw beets and 1 peeled/cored Granny Smith apple. Dump everything into a bowl and add 67g/1 third of a cup of sugar and 1/4 cup ACV. Toss and either refrigerate or serve.
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    @earlnabby Thanks I had no idea! 🙂
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @hopegarrigan It's used like an old fashioned home remedy for acid reflux but too much of anything is not a good thing. Wearing down teeth enamel, ulcer aggravation and it interacts with certain medications. It's not a cure for excess weight and does not burn fat.

The secret for weight loss is counting calories and exercise and that secret may sux but there is no shortcut.
  • floofyschmoofer
    floofyschmoofer Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    So, ACV is a staple in our family. We put it on our pork, we soak our veggies in it for snacks. It's a food group. The lot of us are more overweight than underweight. I wish it were some miracle thing, but I feel if it were, I wouldn't be here. I consume it because I love the flavor but benefits, not so much.

I can tell you a nice bowl of cucumbers, bell peppers and sweet onion in vinegar on a hot summer day is an amazing, low-calorie snack that will definitely change your life. ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    So, ACV is a staple in our family. We put it on our pork, we soak our veggies in it for snacks. It's a food group. The lot of us are more overweight than underweight. I wish it were some miracle thing, but I feel if it were, I wouldn't be here. I consume it because I love the flavor but benefits, not so much.

I can tell you a nice bowl of cucumbers, bell peppers and sweet onion in vinegar on a hot summer day is an amazing, low-calorie snack that will definitely change your life. ;)

I do something similar with cucumbers, tomatoes, and onions in balsamic vinegar. Growing up, vinegar always meant ACV. If a recipe required something else like white vinegar it had to specify it.
  • kroden2019
    kroden2019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Works well as a salad dressing and I use it in my skin care routine, but as for weight loss it really only makes you full. Also, it’s used as a food preserver, so I don’t know how well that would work with food digestion (it seems like it would work against it). But I’m no expert, so I would consult one before investing your time and energy. Good luck on your weight loss journey though🤗
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    works doing what??
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    well, yes, and it is good on pulled pork too and all the other uses people mention in these threads.

But he said his wife claims it works - so am wondering what she thinks it works for.