Keto diet??

Options
What do you think about the keto diet?? The negatives and the positives??

Replies

• MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Tried it once didn't suit me because i was doing bodybuilding and i need alot of carbohydrates however keto mainly depends on fats and protein so no energy for the day i felt tired and depleted
    But it might suit someone else
    It is good for losing weight though =)
  • sweetbe44
    sweetbe44 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight fast, I did years ago. 100 lbs in less than a year. But if you can’t keep eating that way forever, which I couldn’t you will likely gain it all back even faster with interest. I learned my lesson. It’s too extreme for me. I was also losing my hair like crazy.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I researched keto prior to starting here a month ago and recognized immediately that it would not be sustainable for me due to the carb restrictions.

I went pescatarian instead and am really happy.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    sweetbe44 wrote: »
    You can lose weight fast, I did years ago. 100 lbs in less than a year. But if you can’t keep eating that way forever, which I couldn’t you will likely gain it all back even faster with interest. I learned my lesson. It’s too extreme for me. I was also losing my hair like crazy.

Actually, the fast weight loss for low carb or very low carb (at the start) is water weight loss from your body using up glycogen stores. Mohsen's comment...."I felt tired and depleted" is common. If you increase your salt intake you can retain more water (won't be as depleted) but you lose less water weight.

Any "fast" weight loss after that is dictated by calories in vs. calories out. All diets - 100% - are dictated by calorie deficit. Eat less than maintenance calories period.

If keto helps your manage calorie intake, if keto helps you learn life-long habits (habits that you take into maintenance) if you like the food and that way of eating, keto can be a good thing but it's not special.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It wasn't for me. Even though my A1c went down, it was not sustainable. I couldn't do it if I wanted to now because I had my gallbladder out and I cannot eat high fat.

My "happy place" is moderate carb, moderate fat, and slightly higher protein.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I'm not satiated by high amounts of fat, so keto isn't for me.

My "happy place" is also moderate carb, moderate fat, and slightly higher protein.
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It works for me. I found sugar never agreed with me and I'll never go back simply because of the way I feel on keto. But I have to do it right, no lazy or dirty keto!
  • KSJR78
    KSJR78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have so much less pain with keto too.
  • MohsenSALAH
    Options
    Other types of diets still good like intermittent fasting, Carbohydrates cycling, low fat diets... Etc
    U should pick the one that suits u and u feel flexible with, cuz if someone succeed in one type doesn't mean others will and vers versa
  • VioiletAgnes
    VioiletAgnes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    It wasn't for me. Even though my A1c went down, it was not sustainable. I couldn't do it if I wanted to now because I had my gallbladder out and I cannot eat high fat.

Before having my gall bladder out in 2004, I went low fat and high carbs which didn't help me. What problems do you get in eating high fat with no gall bladder?
  • MohsenSALAH
    Options

Before having my gall bladder out in 2004, I went low fat and high carbs which didn't help me. What problems do you get in eating high fat with no gall bladder?[/quote]

The function of gallbladder is to store and concentrate biles more than 10 times which comes from the liver to be used when fatty food digested.
    When u remove it digesting fats will be hard for the stomach and duodenum its like trying to washout fats from ur hands without soap

U will have steatorrhea "fatty stool", bloating, and maybe some abdominal pain and discomfort

Check this out from here
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/5-ways-to-avoid-discomfort-after-your-gallbladder-removal/

• MohsenSALAH
    Options
    ^^^^^ tried to quote from eskimodeb2 but didn't work out =)
  • earlnabby
    Options
    eskimodeb2 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

Before having my gall bladder out in 2004, I went low fat and high carbs which didn't help me. What problems do you get in eating high fat with no gall bladder?

Constant diarrhea. I still get it if I eat too much fat.
  • KSJR78
    KSJR78 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I dont have a gallbladder but luckily I dont seem to have those issues 🤷‍♀️
  • earlnabby
    Options
    KSJR78 wrote: »
    I dont have a gallbladder but luckily I dont seem to have those issues 🤷‍♀️

In my surgical consult they said that about 20% have ongoing issues processing fat. Most people adapt well. I just happen to be in the minority.