not feeling comfortable in public

Options
nasr25
nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
I really wanna start walking outside and i just feel like everyone is looking at me. I seriously lost all confidence i wasn't like this a few years ago but again i wasn't this big either. When I took a walk today my shirt was flying all over the place and I felt ashamed cause what was underneath wasn't all that pretty lol. How in the world do people do this. Is it just me or is there anyone that can relate? I am sure there is so tell me how you guys deal with it.

Replies

• samhennings
    samhennings Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    nasr25 wrote: »
    I really wanna start walking outside and i just feel like everyone is looking at me. I seriously lost all confidence i wasn't like this a few years ago but again i wasn't this big either. When I took a walk today my shirt was flying all over the place and I felt ashamed cause what was underneath wasn't all that pretty lol. How in the world do people do this. Is it just me or is there anyone that can relate? I am sure there is so tell me how you guys deal with it.

It is very much a self inflicted, self conscious thing, which is both good and bad.

The reality is that very rarely are people paying any mind to anyone else, let alone being judgemental while doing so.

So in that respect you have nothing to worry about.

Though, being your own mind - sometimes thats the hardest thing to shift.

Might I suggest wearing something you feel less conspicuous in? (IE - not a skirt if its windy) and perhaps just popping in some headphones and your favourite music/podcast. It can work wonders for shutting out the rest of the world and keeping your mind occupied.

The other thing to say is that these things are always hardest at first, but get much easier with practice.

Saw a comment the other day, an actor talking about getting in shape for a superhero movie, who said
    "The first day is the hardest, then the second day is the second hardest, and the third day the third hardest... so basically once you have been doing it a while it gets easier and easier..."

Which rang true for me.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    You do it by being consistent and being your own cheerleader. Be proud of yourself for taking steps to improve your health and tell yourself that regularly. The more positive thoughts you have the better.

Pretty much everyone is self-conscious about something or other at any given time. You take care of you and ignore the rest.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options

Might I suggest wearing something you feel less conspicuous in? (IE - not a skirt if its windy) and perhaps just popping in some headphones and your favourite music/podcast. It can work wonders for shutting out the rest of the world and keeping your mind occupied.

I second the headphones suggestion! Listening to an interesting podcast or a good audio book will help keep your thoughts from wandering to destructive places. I have found this to be a good way to keep myself from internally churning over some other stresses in my life while I walk, when my mind could otherwise wander there, so hopefully it could also help you. When I walk outside and need to have some more awareness of my surroundings I usually put only 1 headphone in or wear one of those Bluetooth headsets that sits in 1 ear - works perfectly fine for spoken word media like books and podcasts. I also enjoy playing Pokemon Go or Harry Potter: Wizards Unite or other games that encourage a walking component as a great motivator and entertainment while you walk.
  • Mcwi3681
    Mcwi3681 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    nasr25 wrote: »

I feel the same which is why I just bought a stationary bike. I feel like I gave in to my fears but I just could NOT get outside. Good for you for actually doing it!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    When I take my fat butt out walking, sometimes jerks yell rude things at me from trucks.

When my skinny friends go out walking, sometimes jerks yell rude things at them from trucks.

Rude jerks actually don't care what you look like, they just like yelling BS at people and being "funny."

Don't let those people decide how you spend your time. They do not deserve that much power over you. The other people are either not looking at you, are looking past you, maybe they like your shirt, maybe they like your hair, either way. The rude jerks don't deserve a second of your time and everyone else is probably too caught up in their own lives to care about you, or maybe they're thinking something nice.

This. I've been heckled a handful of times from people in cars (and once an awkward but complimentary exchange from a car), but unless someone really makes an effort to get my attention, I'm too busy being in the zone and jamming to my tunes (metal and punk rock mostly) to notice the people going by. For me, if I see someone out walking/running, my first thought is usually 'oh, I should probably go for a walk tonight too'.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Btw, if you have a community Facebook or nextdoor.com group, see if anyone is interested in forming a walking group. You’ll have a dozen people at first, and with a few weeks it will whittle down to two or three regulars who rotate with you. Walking is a lot more fun, and you go further and faster before you know it, if you’re with company.
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I used to be an avid road cyclist -way back before there were distracted drivers everywhere on their cell phones. I had bottles, apple cores and empty pop cans thrown at me. Then I started jogging on sidewalks. The things people yelled out their car windows to me are unrepeatable in this forum. I was not heavy. There are idiots everywhere. Doesn't matter what you look like or what you're doing. Don't be deterred!!!