Is a calorie a calorie?

Options
I'm on a roll today, but I just read this from someone who made this comment. I just saw "Fed Up" and one of the things I found interesting was that two calories may not be the same. The example they used was, if you eat 160 calories of almonds, there is a lot of fiber and protein in that so it takes longer to digest and the whole process burns some of those calories. Whereas, if you drink a 160 calorie Coke, it's almost all sugar which goes straight to your organs that process it and the body can do nothing with all that sugar other than convert it to fat. Thoughts?

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    There is a whole discussion here on this very topic. There is a lot of good information from many posters that should help with your question. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10753736/fed-up-documentary
  • lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    There is a whole discussion here on this very topic. There is a lot of good information from many posters that should help with your question. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10753736/fed-up-documentary

Thanks, but it seems most of the posts have to do with the validity and motives of the documentary itself. I'm only interested in the idea of all calories being equal.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'm on a roll today, but I just read this from someone who made this comment. I just saw "Fed Up" and one of the things I found interesting was that two calories may not be the same. The example they used was, if you eat 160 calories of almonds, there is a lot of fiber and protein in that so it takes longer to digest and the whole process burns some of those calories. Whereas, if you drink a 160 calorie Coke, it's almost all sugar which goes straight to your organs that process it and the body can do nothing with all that sugar other than convert it to fat. Thoughts?

That's like saying a mile isn't a mile because you can run it faster than you can walk it...it's still a mile. A calorie is just a unit of measure like an inch or a mile or a watt or whatever.

Different foods have different TEF (Thermic Effect of Food)...ie the energy it requires to digest. Yes, higher fiber foods and proteins require more energy to digest, but in the big picture that is your diet on the whole, this is majoring in the minors...in the context of your diet on the whole, this all comes out in the wash.

In terms of sugar being stored as fat, that's just not true. You can't have net fat storage in a calorie deficit or at maintenance calories...your body can only store fat when energy (calories) consumed exceed what the body requires. In absence of a calorie surplus, the sugar from the soda is going to be stored as glycogen in the liver.

Yes a mile is a mile, but are you uphill looking down, or downhill looking up?

Kind of like if a tree falls in the forest when no one’s around, isn’t it.

Probably almost as many answers to original question as there are people who answer it.

Not really...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Yes, a calorie is a calorie nothing more, nothing less.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    These threads are always a good way to come back to the basics of CICO for me. I am easily influenced by "experts" touting "evil carbs" and other such nonsense. If I hear it enough times, I will believe it. As someone who goes off plan regularly because of binging after restricting carbs, I NEED these to pop up regularly as a good reminder.

But I wanted to give my personal experience. The first time I lost weight, I lost 60 lbs in 4 months. Not a speed I recommend, but it was before MFP was super popular. I counted calories with pen and paper, and literally ate nothing but Lean Cuisines, Lean Pockets, toast, Pop-Tarts, cereal, and anything else processed I could find that I liked. Yeah, I was hungry all the time and my nutritional needs weren't met, but the pounds still came off.

Some great info in this thread you might find helpful.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/43940597#Comment_43940597