Day 1 ugh! I made it

Options
I turned 44 last Monday and it made me realize I don't have all the time in the world anymore. I was fit all my life then depression hit me 10 years ago. After gaining 100 pounds I finally decided I was done with the blues and today I did something about it. First step out of hell! I got up, made my kids help with chores(which I never do), ate right and exercised for the first time in over a year. Even got the hubby to go with me. Created this profile so that I can start being accountable to myself. Looking forward to making this change. I expect it will be a rough week but I'm hoping I keep going. Thanks for checking out my story.

Replies

• Nayghtymuffin
    Nayghtymuffin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Have a great day, it’s my first one as well so let’s have a good one.
    We can do this, just take it one day at a time.
    Diane xx
  • Twitterpatedmama
    Twitterpatedmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I love your tuxedo kitty. You gotta start somewhere. Good for you too. I'll check in tomorrow to see if you're still on board lol wink:
  • Nayghtymuffin
    Nayghtymuffin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    See you tomorrow to talk about our first day.
    We can do it. 👍
    Diane xx
  • OhSnap779
    OhSnap779 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good job taking that first step!
  • kloigton
    kloigton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my first and it went pretty well. Managed to keep busy and away from sweet snacks, for the first time in living memory.

Drank lots of water.
    Early evening felt a bit tricky so I went for a walk. On my stroll I passed three Chinese restaurants, one Curry place, two chip shops and a pizza place!

The smells were tempting but I deliberately went out with no cash or cards so that I couldn't buy anything.

I survived and coping, so far, with day two.
  • aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Good luck! You can do it!
  • Twitterpatedmama
    Options
    Thanks all! I started out the day with a long walk. My doc suggested a dandelion tea as a diuretic. Also, she suggested a medication to help with appetite, one approved for weight loss, Victoza and Phentermine. I'm nervous about using any medications. I hate having to take tylenol much less a prescription. Have any of you used this?
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Honestly, if you can try without medications I would recommend it.

All medicines have side effects, some quite serious. Even herbal supplements aren't risk-free.

As @kimny72 says, you don't have to change everything the first day. Small changes, being consistent, and keeping yourself accountable through friends here are a great way to start. :flowerforyou:
  • kdillingham7718
    kdillingham7718 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step! Just remember to ease into it. It is a life style change and that takes time! Do not give up if you go off track every once in a while.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Thanks all! I started out the day with a long walk. My doc suggested a dandelion tea as a diuretic. Also, she suggested a medication to help with appetite, one approved for weight loss, Victoza and Phentermine. I'm nervous about using any medications. I hate having to take tylenol much less a prescription. Have any of you used this?

I would suggest avoiding medication unless you really cannot find a way to deal with appetite on your own. While some people do fine with them, others have bad side effects. And one way or another, eventually you need to be comfortable eating the right amount of food, whether it's now or later. You can't take a suppressant forever.

Was the diuretic for a medical reason? All that's going to do is knock off some water weight otherwise, and many people find that happens when they change their diet and activity level anyway. It kind of sounds to me like your doctor is trying to give you some quick wins to get you started, but they are kind of empty wins. Regardless of what I think though, obviously you need to do what feels right for you!

Not to toot my own horn, but I just posted this today and it might help along with the other links I posted upthread

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10754528/how-to-control-your-appetite
  • 444chubbybunny
    444chubbybunny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Take it one day at a time. 🔮🔮🔮 but it already sounds like the beginning of a great week!
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

I found filling out the food diary to be the most time consuming and frustrating part at the beginning but once you start getting your list of foods in, it becomes really easy and quick.

Good luck!
  • joesgal90
    joesgal90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day, too! It went pretty well. I do great until around 2pm and then the munchies hit something fierce! Today, I made it a point to be out of the house doing something else. I actually just went for a drive to get away from the fridge haha. I was tempted tonight but had already reached my limit on mfp so just added a crystal light to water with some ice and it honestly helped. First day outta hell, like you said so perfectly. Here's to us both for a first day victory. Best of luck!
  • Twitterpatedmama
    Options
    Oh I totally get the afternoon munchies thing. Man, 3pm is the worst for me. I need a nap or a snack and like you said, I gotta get away from the fridge! Or vending machine, ya know? Good for you on taking the first step. Here's to everyday getting easier, cheers!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Welcome! If possible, I'd try to lose weight without medication first. Use a food scale to learn portion size and start making small changes - no need to make drastic ones. Walking is great for your health, but eating less than your body burns is how you lose weight (so calories in via food is important to track). What helps me when I have the munchies is to keep busy! Cleaning, organizing, playing a game with kids all help me. :smile: