40/40/20 food ideas?

Replies

• Had trouble with this first. Protein Shake are key (mix them with high protein almond milk and water.). Nonfat yogurt, Low Fat cheese, Chicken and Fish (talapia NOT salmon) should be your bff. For what it's worth my macros and calorie intake are pretty much dead on with yours (though I'm about 70 pounds less). Feel free to follow my meal plan, I do pretty well with hitting my macros. And am never hungry.

(I should suffix that I'm at maintenance levels for my body and am pretty lean muscular already, just tracking to get cut / drop a bit of fat and gain muscle in the process. (33yo M. 135lbs) )
  • vinnyvej
    vinnyvej Posts: 6 Member
    If you want to increase your protein with increasing your carbs or fat. try egg whites. I'm usually over in carbs so for me its a matter of increasing my protein or fat ratio. To increase the fat my go to food is almonds.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Ham, Spinach, and swiss quiche is epic, and fits perfectly.

Rigger
  • im on 40/40/20---its a lot easier than i thought. hardest part is eating enough. salmon is an excellent source of good protein and little to no carbs and very low in fat. i take measurements into account which really help; dinner ex: would be 4oz salmon, 1 cup white rice, 1 cup of diced cooked chicken breast and 1oz of baby carrots--it totalled 538 calories 66.7p/45.7c/7.5f /538cals--

White rice.... Surely not!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    I'm having great really good success on similar to 40/40/20 (carbs are the 20%).

Since cutting back on carbs I've controlled my carb cravings (I'm allowing my self to eat whatever I really feel like - If I want McDonalds - I'll eat McDonalds, I've just not fancied it for over 4 weeks).

Also I have energy all day - not peaks and troughs.

A food suggestion would be big *kitten* salads with chicken and grated cheese
  • Fruit! You can pack in loads of carbs with fruit without going overboard on fat.
  • lizznagelmiller
    lizznagelmiller Posts: 54 Member
    Bump
  • mncdk
    mncdk Posts: 30 Member
    Using ratios is not the right way to figure out your proper intake. Your macronutrient requirements should be calculated from your stats, and that should be used to set your MFP goals.
  • pascaljoly
    pascaljoly Posts: 30 Member
    Hi,
    could anyone help me with ideas?
    I mean, I am always pretty low on fat so have to add olive oil and eat nuts to compensate but with all the fruit that I eat I always end up being to high on carbs.
    I'm ok, calories wise but too many carbs.
    I am also drinking whey protein shakes (1 a day but will have to go to 2 a day now I guess) - I think it's still safe to do so.

I have a big fruit salad in the evening with some low fat greek yogurt; if I don't, I am too hungry as my meal is not enough.

I guess I could buysome eggs and discard the yolks, eat some chicken breasts, cottage cheese in the evening; any more idea?

thanks
  • i'm pretty successful monday - thursday. lol. i sent you a friend request so we can continue to get ideas from each other.
    i'm pretty successful monday - thursday. lol. i sent you a friend request so we can continue to get ideas from each other.

Can i be adedd to that group i soooooo need help
  • ldmissie
    ldmissie Posts: 1 Member
    How do you know what your eating is 40/40/20. I don't understand. Can someone please explain to me. For example my protein is high and my carbs are low. Will this affect my weight loss?
  • Ejsgirl88
    Ejsgirl88 Posts: 1 Member
    I am on 40/40/20 diet but I really have a hard time getting my fat in and i dont want to take in bad fats. I know my nut intake needs to increase. I eat PB2 so i dont really get fat from there
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited November 2014
    Dammit.....old post.
  • ellustiina
    ellustiina Posts: 24 Member
    I know this is very old post, but I would like to get it up and see if there is anyone else doing this.
    Looking for some ideas to get that protein in.
  • msjeannettea
    msjeannettea Posts: 18 Member
    Bumping this post again.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Curious what the purpose of this macro split is perceived to be? Why not just follow the MFP default split which works great for most people.
  • metessa
    metessa Posts: 3 Member
    trying 40/40/20 at every meal, no complex carbs after breakfast, veggies are free foods. I live in a small town so my menu options will be limited. Eating 40/40/20 in one setting is proving to be a challenge.

Playing with oatmeal and deli sliced ham for breakfast.
  • metessa
    edited July 2019
    Oatmeal with sweet n low & 1 tsp cinnamon & 12 deli sliced ham & black coffee
    (276 calories 31C/27P/6F 45%-36%-19%)

GNC Lean Shake 25 & a medium orange
    (250 calories 25C/26P/6F 39%-40%-21%)

MFP recipe "Tuna Salad 40/40/20"
    (148 calories 14.7C/14P/3F 41%-39%-19%)

• metessa
    ellustiina wrote: »
    I know this is very old post, but I would like to get it up and see if there is anyone else doing this.

Simple way to boost protein is Kraft Deli Sliced meats.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    metessa wrote: »
    ellustiina wrote: »

Simple way to boost protein is Kraft Deli Sliced meats.

:lol: Not just meats, but Kraft Deli Sliced meats.

Okay.