Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Started today - please help me with tips!

llastrose
llastrose Posts: 5 Member
Today is my first day and i am so desperate to be fit and healthy. I want to live my life with no boundaries. Its hard to stay within the calorie intake because i am an impulsive overeater. I need your help to give me any tips that will help me stay satisfied/full. Thank you ♥️♥️

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,169 Member
    Digital food scale!!! I weigh my peeled bananas, my oatmeal before I boil it, my peanut butter (that Tablespoon scoop isn't trustworthy), my proteins before I cook them. It doesn't feel like a burden to me - it's super freeing because I don't have to wonder if I've done the math right.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

I used to be an overeater, too. It only took 2 weeks of eating at a calorie deficit for that compulsion to naturally disappear.

Eat foods you love to turn your new way of eating into a sustainable lifestyle.

Log everything you eat or drink into your food diary truthfully.

Get a food scale if you don't already have one. It will become your best friend.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    My boyfriend was a compulsive over-eater when I met him. He would stress eat and binge eat.

These are the tips I gave him, and they may sound crazy, but they work.

1. Serve entree on a smaller plate or in a smaller bowl, psychological, but it works.
    2. Take smaller bites. We eat with the little fork and little spoon.
    3. Chew each bite longer and more thoroughly.
    4. Never take another bite, until previous bite is completely swallowed.
    5. Drink water before and during meals.
    6. Make meals last longer, try to make meals last at least 15 minutes, past what I call the food window.

These also prevent what I call "inhaling food."

Try to get in tune with your body and learn the differences between: hungry, satisfied, full, and stuffed. When you want to eat or want seconds, stop and ask yourself if you are really hungry. If the answer is no, get out of the kitchen. It quickly becomes second nature to listen to your body's needs. It gets easy to start thinking of food as fuel or energy!

My boyfriend now gets satisfied off just a few bites and has lost over 75lbs since we started dating.

Good luck, hope any of this helps!!

• llastrose
    @Emmapatterson1729 omg amazing tips!! Thank you so much ♥️♥️♥️
  • llastrose
    @LyndaBSS being honest even when the truth is ugly really keeps me more focused...but it feels great to be honest with myself eve if its a failed approach it doesn’t mean its over.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    llastrose wrote: »
    @Emmapatterson1729 omg amazing tips!! Thank you so much ♥️♥️♥️

You're welcome.

I had to train myself to turn these into habits years ago.

At one point, I would eat an entire large deep pan pizza from Pizza Hut in one sitting. Now, I'm fully satisfied with a few of bites of well seasoned veggies, or one piece of baked chicken.

It gets easier!!!

I find it also helps me stay on track, if you haven't yet, get a good friends list going on here, change diary privacy to open for friends. Knowing a lot of people can see what I'm consuming also makes me more conscious about what and how much I'm eating and logging!

Lol, My boyfriend would order 10 McDonald's cheeseburgers when I met him, for himself. I haven't had typical fast food in over 10 years. But if we could change our eating habits (or relationship with food), ANYONE can!!

• jlmuse
    jlmuse Posts: 2 Member
    I don't have any advice but want to offer encouragement. I am starting the journey too and have the same struggle. Good luck to you!