I have to cut out sugar

Options
I’m going to go sugar free for a few months (for now) because it’s been negatively affecting my health. A recent trip to the dentist showed me that my enamel has weakened which explains the tooth pain that I’ve been getting. My skin is breaking out too. Plus I’m craving sugar all the time now (insulin issues plus IBS). I’m going to have to resort to dark chocolate or sugar free chocolate. Anyone else in the same boat? Any tips to curb sugar cravings?

Replies

• FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did it. It sucked and I'm still far from perfect at it. That said, I try to stay away from anything with added sugar over 4g per serving.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out a lot of sugar recently, but I focused on the types of sugar that I felt I could not moderate. Those for me were candies, baked goods/pastries, and sugary things in my coffee. I also try to limit starchy carbs like breads, bagels, pastas, etc.

I mostly replaced them with strawberries and grapes along with coke zero and sparkling water. Boom chicka pop is also my only snack outside of fruit and veggies most days.

It's important to understand that sugar isn't bad, but maybe too much of it isn't working for you and your health goals. Eating less of it overall, and focusing more on natural sugars or no calorie sweeteners is what has worked for me.

I now do not have the cravings as intense as I used to except once a month. I am still not to the point where I can moderate those things, but it mostly just got easier the longer I stayed away from them. Walking seemed to be a good thing too, I take long walks at lunch and in the evening (3-5 miles).

A lot of people on here will tell you to fit things you like into your diet and that cutting whole food groups or cutting out your favorite foods entirely will lead to binges or make you miserable. I disagree with that. Everyone has different kinds of foods that they could overeat if calories didn't make you fat. I see so many people say they can't moderate alcohol, and the first suggestion on these boards is to eliminate it. Then why is the attitude for food different? I have seen success eliminating the above types of food, and I am not miserable or wanting to binge. It all comes down to your taste buds and mind set and what works for you.

It will be hard at first, but just stick to your plan, write down your goals, and know that you will feel better when you stop having such awful cravings for foods that don't help you feel like the you, you want to be!

Thank you for your advice. It’s definitely made me feel better. I quit sugar a few years ago and felt amazing then I fell off the bandwagon and thought I could have it in moderation. Yeah strawberries and certain fruits should help. I know I just have to hang in there and the cravings will go away.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I eliminated any kind of processed sugar, i.e. candy, from my diet when I started here. Within two weeks, my cravings had disappeared naturally.

I hope you have the same result. ☺
  • amycrumley78
    amycrumley78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I’m going to go sugar free for a few months (for now) because it’s been negatively affecting my health. A recent trip to the dentist showed me that my enamel has weakened which explains the tooth pain that I’ve been getting. My skin is breaking out too. Plus I’m craving sugar all the time now (insulin issues plus IBS). I’m going to have to resort to dark chocolate or sugar free chocolate. Anyone else in the same boat? Any tips to curb sugar cravings?

• amycrumley78
    amycrumley78 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I had issues with my teeth and did the same thing. Within a couple months the pain went away and my dentist said my teeth and gums looked much healthier. I perk was that I also lost a little weight as well. It's not easy but pain was a good motivator for me. Wish you the best of luck with it.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I was also advised to be sugar free, in the first instance to avoid foods which had a relationship with yeasts, that included fruits like grapes. Along with one or two other things, avoiding casein and identified intolerances, it worked wonders generally.
  • kimondo666
    kimondo666 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    try addin xylitol to drinks, its repair tooths a little. They use it in some gums. Its not cheapest though. About 8-10$ per kg. I use it to sweet my beverages.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Keep the tips + stories coming...they’ve definitely inspired me.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I AIN'T GIVEN UP MY FRUIT!!!!!

Well I’m not giving up fruit. Just cutting down on it.
  • xxzenabxx
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Keep in mind other foods besides sugar that can weaken enamel and promote cavities: citrus and acidic foods (oranges, lemons, wine, vinegar), anything sticky (dried fruit), starchy foods (crackers, chips, breads), pop, foods that aggravate acid reflux - pretty much anything that causes an acidic environment.. water rinse, using straws, eating non-acidic foods with meals like cheese can help. Also be sure not to brush immediately after eating which can weaken enamel.

I'd add that frequent or continuous drinking of acidic beverages may be especially challenging to tooth enamel. There's a tendency to see it as healthy to sip on water with lemon or lime slices all day long, but that's maintaining a (slightly) higher level of acidity for your teeth over a very long time period.

Many beverages are acidic, including zero-calorie no-sugar ones. This is likely to be a more significant factor in overall weakened tooth enamal than simply consumption of sugar. From the American Dental Association:
    Dental erosion is the chemical dissolution
    of tooth structure in the absence of bacteria when the
    environment is acidic (pH < 4.0). Research indicates that
    low pH is the primary determinant of a beverage’s erosive
    potential.
    . . .
    The authors purchased 379 beverages from
    stores in Birmingham, Alabama, and categorized them (for
    example, juices, sodas, flavored waters, teas, and energy
    drinks) and assessed their pH.
    . . .
    Most (93%, 354 of 379) beverages had a pH of
    less than 4.0, and 7% (25 of 379) had a pH of 4.0 or more.
    Relative beverage erosivity zones based on studies of apatite
    solubility in acid indicated that 39% (149 of 379) of the
    beverages tested in this study were considered extremely
    erosive (pH < 3.0), 54% (205 of 379) were considered
    erosive (pH 3.0 to 3.99), and 7% (25 of 379) were considered minimally erosive (pH $ 4.0).

Full article at https://www.ada.org/en/~/media/ADA/Public Programs/Files/JADA_The pH of beverages in the United States

Article includes specifics about acidity level of many popular beverages.

I used to drink lemon water a lot but I’ve cut it down to a morning glass of warm water. What do I do? It helps my digestive system so much. What a dilemma.