Is it just me or is the weightlifting resources aimed at women a bit shite?

thoughts?

Replies

• alexpepper35
    alexpepper35 Posts: 1 Member
    Yes I have searched the web endlessly and YouTube is semi decent but then the videos are aimed mostly for toning up. For me that is not what I want. I want the muscles and strength.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited July 2019
    Depends how exactly you're looking. If you're looking at stuff marketed at women then yeah it's probably going to be absolutely rubbish, because there isn't really much difference between weight lifting for men and women, particularly when it comes to beginners and the stuff that's marketed for women is for those that have some pretty pink weights at home collecting dust in the corner.

Rather than looking at lifting for women, look just for lifting.

There's some fab resources in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Yea it can be a bit tricky to weed through some of the nonsense out there. It's good to learn that women can do exactly what men are doing (depending on their goals of course), so following that information whoever it is geared for can he helpful. I find the topic of gaining weight/bulking to be almost completely scarce for women, there are some resources but I typically just follow the advice for men and modify it based on bodyfat and calorie goals.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Juggernaut has many videos on female power lifters. Chad Wesley SMith and DR. Mike.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    How would lifting for women be different than lifting or lifting for men? Pick a lifting program, try it, if you like ti, continue, if you don't try another. I like Strong Lifts 5x5. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a woman.
  • Powerclean2deadlift
    Powerclean2deadlift Posts: 35 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    How would lifting for women be different than lifting or lifting for men? Pick a lifting program, try it, if you like ti, continue, if you don't try another. I like Strong Lifts 5x5. I don't see why it wouldn't work for a woman.
    That's my point.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    There are no material differences in the lifting dynamics between men and women. However, men will generally be stronger than women of equal size/wt.

However, as between man and women of equal size/wt, men will have greater upper body strength and women will have greater lower body strength relative to their size/wt.

So, there is no need for a "special" lifting program for women, who can use beginner programs like Stronglifts and Starting Strength w/equal success.

However, women should NOT measure their "success" by the same meadures as men do, given the understanding of the relativr strength differences between the genders, especially the differential differences in lower and upper body strength