Pregnancy gaining weight

Options
During pregnancy does your body just gain weight on its own, or is the weight gained from eating the extra 300- 500 calories a day in the second and third trimester? So for example say you dont eat the extra calories and just eat normal would your body still put weight on?

Thanks

Replies

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yes you will still gain, even if you don't take in the extra calories. Gaining weight is part of being pregnant, it's going to happen, it's inevitable. Luckily a lot falls off quickly after giving birth, and then once you're able to you can start focusing on your calories/exercise and get the remaining weight off.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I gained 19lbs with my first child. I weighed 139 when I got pregnant, 124 the morning after he was born. He weighed 8lb 9oz and was a large healthy baby. I realize everyone has a different experience but I didn't try to eat extra calories, I didn't diet either.

The second child was even larger, I gained 25lbs and retained 10lbs after he was born. I did everything the same as the first pregnancy.
  • Hannahjane123456
    Hannahjane123456 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, i am pregnant and was just gonna eat the recommended extra calories a day, i was just wondering how to not pile the weight on.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, i am pregnant and was just gonna eat the recommended extra calories a day, i was just wondering how to not pile the weight on.

Sounds like you already have the right idea. It's probably a good idea to talk it over with your Dr/midwife, who can help you monitor and adjust.

And congratulations! Make the most of sleeping while you still can :)
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options

I'm currently pregnant too and gained the recommended 25lbs with my first, and plan to do the same this time. The easiest formula is to eat at maintenance during 1st trimester, 300 calories extra 2nd trimester, and 500 calories extra 3rd trimester. This is the most basic average for a woman starting at a healthy BMI with a maintenance around 2000 calories. The exact numbers will depend on all of your numbers and you should definitely ask your midwife or OB to help you calculate those if you're interested. I am ridiculously average and this formula worked great for me the first time and I'm using it again now. Hope this helps!