Advice re pasta

Options
goatelope
goatelope Posts: 178 Member
Hello, I am getting myself very confused about if / how cooking changes the calorie content of things like pasta?

I am wanting to cook 100g (dried weight) of gluten free pasta for dinner but can’t seem to work our what the calorie content of this would be once cooked - surely it’s the same? Some people seem to think it’s more??

Replies

• goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I should say the packet says 170g per 100g cooked, which is annoying as I want to know what the caloric content is dried
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    that is just a bad calorie label because the size of pasta will vary depending on how much weight it absorbs...

for most of mine - 1 serving is 56g and is approx 40g carbs; 6g protein

i did some googling - for a gluten free linguine - 1 serving is 3oz/85g and is 2g fat/47g carb/6g protein for dry pasta - so i would go wtih that
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    goatelope wrote: »
    I should say the packet says 170g per 100g cooked, which is annoying as I want to know what the caloric content is dried

That is an annoying way to label it. Most pasta labels contain dried weight. Maybe they put it that way as an attempt to sell gluten free pasta as "health" food, and make it look less caloric than regular pasta.

However you should be able to approximate the dry amount by looking at the weight of the box (they have to list that on the front) and then taking the amount of serving sizes on the back. So let's say for example, the box is 400 grams, and the label says there is 8 servings per box, then a serving is 50 grams.

Pasta doesn't gain calories once cooked, since you are just adding water. It does gain weight and volume, so a 100g serving uncooked will weigh at least twice that or more once cooked.

In general, normal pasta is about 200 calories for a 2 oz (56 gram) dry serving. I am not sure how gluten free varies in that regard.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I weigh it dry and log that and individually log every other ingredient I add to it, like sauce, meat or veggies.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Seems like a tricky way of labeling to make it look like you get more bang for you buck when, as those above have mentioned, they're just including water weight. I'd go with finding a reasonably similar alternate to log for your convenience.