Weight gaining workouts

Options
Hey everyone! So I’m way too small/skinny for my height and I’m working on eating a lot but I want to exercise and gain weight. I’ll be starting 12hr shifts soon so I need to build up endurance. Any tips so that I don’t loose weight while working out?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Gaining weight is all about eating more calories (you can eat more calories without eating more volume, if that's an issue for you). Pure and simple. If there is a health concern at play here, it may be worth limiting your workouts until you get your intake dialed in.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Weight gain will come from your calorie intake. You want to eat above your maintenance calories (in a surplus). If you want to gain muscle you want to be following some type of lifting/resistance program. Whatever exercise you do, in order to gain you want to make sure you account for the calories burned and remain in surplus.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    All workouts burn calories, so any exercise is going to require more calorie intake to gain weight. Gaining weight is all about eating more than your body burns.

However, in general, weight lifting is a good exercise to do along with attempting to gain weight. The calorie burns are fairly minor, and it will allow you to build muscle as you gain weight, which is usually what most people want. If you do not exercise the gains will be majority fat, but if you do strength training (weights/body weight exercises/resistance bands), you will build more muscle (the muscle to fat ratio largely depends on the size of yoyr surplus). If you are undersized, some fat gains may be desirable, but it is likely muscle gain will as well if you are looking to increase strength and endurance.