Cardio vs no cardio

Options
So does cardio and weights help you lose weight I was told cardio does not help if going to the gym just do weights

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    What they said above. Cardio does help in that your calories burnt increases. Also, it helps you with general cardiovascular health.

@sgt1372 put it exactly right. Mix all three elements and you should lose weight and improve overall health and fitness.

There's the key, for sure.

....... this is my own order of importance.

1. Diet
    2. Diet
    3. Diet
    4. Weights
    5. Diet
    6. Diet
    7. Diet
    8. Cardio
    9. Weights
    10. Diet

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Cardio will improve your health. Diet will help you lose weight. Weights will help you get stronger and can help you preserve muscle, which helps in the long term.
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Ok so I don't disagree with anyone above but you can absolutely lose weight by lifting weights. It's all about HOW you train. HIIT workouts with weights are far more effective than your average cardio. You definitely won't see the same results from jogging on a treadmill that you would see from the same amount of time doing HIIT.

This isn't universal. I had to completely stop any type of HIIT because they made my appetite and hunger outpace my calorie burn so I was eating more but feeling hungry - not what you would want on a diet. As for calorie burn, I personally find moderate intensity burns more calories over time for less effort because there is no downtime like HIIT has, and I'm not so wiped out afterwards that I move less throughout the day compromising non-exercise activity (which is another reason why I stopped HIIT).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I'm a number girl and like to rationalize things with numbers. If I run 50 minutes I burn about 350kcal. Note, this depends on weight and distance run. Generally, miles * body weight in lbs * 0.64 works quite well.

So cool, 350kcal from running. If I do this for a week I'll lose 1750kcal. Or half a pound. Meh! Can I do this every day, without a break? Unlikely. Rest days are important. So I might lose a tiny bit of weight from running for 50 minutes a few times per week. Nope, doesn't seem like a good weightloss plan. (mind you, I'm maintaining. Just making a point)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    I'm a number girl and like to rationalize things with numbers. If I run 50 minutes I burn about 350kcal. Note, this depends on weight and distance run. Generally, miles * body weight in lbs * 0.64 works quite well.

So cool, 350kcal from running. If I do this for a week I'll lose 1750kcal. Or half a pound. Meh! Can I do this every day, without a break? Unlikely. Rest days are important. So I might lose a tiny bit of weight from running for 50 minutes a few times per week. Nope, doesn't seem like a good weightloss plan. (mind you, I'm maintaining. Just making a point)

But even if you don't do this every day, and even if you do just 20 minutes, that's an extra snack, a bigger meal, or a scoop of ice cream on days you do. That's the perfect weight loss plan.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Running is high impact, it's hard on your joints, bones, etc. I can ride a marathon every day, comfortably. I can walk 350 kcal every day, comfortably. Your example is about running, not exercise generally.
  • julieweberr
    julieweberr Posts: 21 Member
    Options

Running is high impact, it's hard on your joints, bones, etc. I can ride a marathon every day, comfortably. I can walk 350 kcal every day, comfortably. Your example is about running, not exercise generally.

I believe they were just pointing out the caloric deficit part of exercise in general, saying cardio or no cardio it's not much of a difference, you can't lose a significant amount of weight with a poor diet and only exercise.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I’m also in the cardio for health + snacks camp, and another vote for the exercise as appetite suppressant. My most satisfying days of staying within calories and not feeling hangry are when I exercise at about 10:30 am. That’s usually when I’m starving but lunch is sooo far away. I might start out hungry, but after a few minutes of working out I’m not hungry and won’t be until after I’m home, showered, and have fed the kids, so I eat around 2. A smallish lunch keeps me till my old person dinner hour of 5:30/6, and I can eat a bigger dinner and sometimes have leftover calories for a snack or adult beverage. Win win.

ETA: I only eat back cardio calories, so that’s usually 200-300 ish on a regular day. I spent most of my time lifting, so I just don’t count that—I figure any small calorie burn there offsets any small logging issues (ie, my packages veggies were really 2.7 servings instead of the 2.5 on the bag). So far it works for me when I actually log 🙄

I also stopped doing HIIT bc it wasn’t sustainable for me. It wore me out, so my lifting suffered. Plus the high impact nature of any HIIT I’d actually not hate (so no bike sprints, and I have an aversion to the erg since college crew...I’ll only do that every once in a while and remember how I hate it) started to irritate my already irritable impinged hip. So I went back to moderate cardio (arc trainer, stair stepper). It’s sustainable for me and I get few extra calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    joey32411 wrote: »
    One thing that makes cardio really a secret weapon for achieving goals is that it tends to blunt appetite for a lot of people. It doesn't work for everyone in that way, but it works for me. A morning workout before breakfast helps keep my appetite stable throughout the day, while an evening workout is great to do when I know I'd otherwise be tempted to graze. For myself personally, the calorie burn is just an added bonus. The appetite control is what I'm after.

Yes, if I don't get some exercise at lunchtime I have the munchies in the afternoon and am cranky. Regular exercise is crucial for my mental health.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I believe they were just pointing out the caloric deficit part of exercise in general, saying cardio or no cardio it's not much of a difference, you can't lose a significant amount of weight with a poor diet and only exercise.

This really depends on the person. Someone with a full time desk job, kids, busy schedule, might have a hard time fitting in significant exercise. (But it's not impossible, as many here will attest.)

However, my mom is retired and is so active with gardening, swimming, walking, yoga, and work around the house that she struggles to stay above Underweight.

She was also going to the gym to work out with her trainer twice a week but she just quit that for the summer in order to be able to fit in her other activity.