Pasta is SO calorific!

Options
goatelope
goatelope Posts: 178 Member
That is all. Just marvelling at how many calories are in even a small bowl.
Think I’m definitely a volume eater!!

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yeah. :(
    I haven't made any since starting with MFP. I can't figure out how to make it work with how we eat. I had some once at a restaurant and it was a whole day's worth of calories.

Maybe one day when I'm on maintenance I can make spaghetti again.
  • goatelope
    Options
    I definitely don’t miss it enough to get upset about it - I don’t eat bread either (IBS), so low carbs isn’t new to me.

I guess that it was more the surprise. When you start weighing and paying attention, you realise where the extra calories come from - where you were going wrong without even realising. Like olive oil - I knew it was calorific but boy I got a shock when I realised it’s 120 cals per tablespoon!!

Agreed re peanut butter, too. I used to love it on a wheat-free bagel but those days are over!

I will still make it, but it definitely does affect me because I’m a volume eater, so I like a bigger portion, especially during the evening as I keep it light all day and then have a bigger (early) supper
  • goatelope
    Options
    Plus how do Italian women stay so thin?! Olive oil + pasta?!?!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too bad, I have it once or twice a week. I usually have 1000 calories allotted for dinner so it's easy to fit in. Plus my calorie intake is pretty high and flexible and I need the carbs so that helps. If it's not worth it to you, go for something else.. or add volume with vegetables, use zucchini noodles etc.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just made some pasta with my dinner (soup) and while it was one of the highest-cal on the list, I cut it down to .25 cup because I added a LOT of vegetables. I think I had over 1.5 cups of vegetables in the soup and it was a single serving. So I concur with try2again:
    try2again wrote: »
    I make a lot of skillet pasta dinners because it's easy and my kids never complain about vegetables when they're mixed up with other things. The pasta is probably less than 1/2- 2/3 the volume of the dish.

I mean I think today mine was a lot lower ratio but I also made up my carbs elsewhere. So as long as you like complex flavors, you will be fine in supplementing pasta with other valuable nutrients. If you're more into buttered noodles or chicken alfredo, yeah you might have to try new recipes.