Pasta is SO calorific!

Options

Replies

• estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I'm having stirfry tonight subbing spiralized butternut squash "noodles" for Asian noodles or rice. I find that either squash or turnip noodles work well with a sweet-and-sour sauce.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious, Annie. With the chicken and broccoli I also think your smaller serving could feel like plenty.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    If you say so but can you only eat just 1 serving? I'm skeptical but I'm not the one eating it. Never would.

Yes...I did for dinner tonight along with some broccoli. Appropriate servings sizes for me is something that I have been working on. Surprisingly it has been easier than I thought it would be. I don't finish dinner and have that overstuffed feeling. I still have room for a dessert if I wanted one.

I will remember not to ask you over for dinner on the nights that I am serving that dish.

If you ever serve it for lunch you could invite me. I seldom eat more than 200 calories for dinner. I would only need about 3 pounds of broccoli with it to fill me up. I used to hate that slightly too full feeling now I really rely on it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The point of my post was to show the OP that if they want to have pasta it can work it into their meal plans. Maybe not as much as he/she was accustomed to. I love pasta...cheese...chicken...burgers...etc...etc. So I look for ways to make the foods that I love work for me.

OP...If you are a volume eater then maybe pasta won't work for you. I struggle with the calories in rice (maybe because I can take it or leave). I cook a lot of Asian dishes and I always struggle when I put the rice on the plate. Lately I have started subbing some of the rice with roasted cauliflower.
  • Leannedoddy
    Leannedoddy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I still eat pasta if i want it, i just adapt the recipe to include some veggies to pack it out so that i can use less pasta! ;-)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Looks delicious, Annie. With the chicken and broccoli I also think your smaller serving could feel like plenty.

It came out to be about 2 cups of the pasta dish. That should be plenty for a 66y/o lightly active woman. Is that enough volume wise for some people...maybe not. I however found it filling for me. I also found the macros good for me...38 carbs...18 fat...37...protein.
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I often think the suggested serving size of pasta and rice is not accurate...for example (and I've just double checked this), in a 500g pack of fusilli pasta the "suggested" serving size on the nutrition info is 170g (300 calories)...which means you don't even have 3 portions in that pack...that always annoys me...I'd rather cook 100g (176 cal) of Pasta to obtain 5 portions from the pack and boost each portion with veg and whatever meat or vegetable protein there is to achieve a reasonable meal without overloading on the pasta...

It also annoys me that 500g bags of rice have suggested servings of 75g per person...because again that leaves you with uneven portions (6.66 to be exact)...which apart from being another case of a leftover headache is clearly a representation of the Number of The Beast! (maybe I've discovered something here...)

Using 50g of rice per person gives you 10 portions of rice and you won't be damned in the flames of hell! lol! That probably speaks more about my thriftyness in portion saving than anything else...but it's something to ponder...
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    trbp72 wrote: »
    I often think the suggested serving size of pasta and rice is not accurate...for example (and I've just double checked this), in a 500g pack of fusilli pasta the "suggested" serving size on the nutrition info is 170g (300 calories)...which means you don't even have 3 portions in that pack...that always annoys me...I'd rather cook 100g (176 cal) of Pasta to obtain 5 portions from the pack and boost each portion with veg and whatever meat or vegetable protein there is to achieve a reasonable meal without overloading on the pasta...

It also annoys me that 500g bags of rice have suggested servings of 75g per person...because again that leaves you with uneven portions (6.66 to be exact)...which apart from being another case of a leftover headache is clearly a representation of the Number of The Beast! (maybe I've discovered something here...)

Using 50g of rice per person gives you 10 portions of rice and you won't be damned in the flames of hell! lol! That probably speaks more about my thriftyness in portion saving than anything else...but it's something to ponder...

You’re running into the issue of dried vs cooked weight here though. 170g of pasta weighed in dried form would be a massive portion! The information you’re looking at is the portion if you’re weighing it cooked, so it includes the volume of water the dried pasta absorbed during cooking. Some pasta packs will state a serving size of 56g dried weight as a portion. That 56g will weigh approximately 170g when weighed after cooking.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    And the reason pasta servings on the label are indicated from dry weight is also because different people cook their pasta to varying levels of 'doneness.' The softer you like your pasta, the more water it will have absorbed through the longer boiling time, making cooked weights highly inaccurate.
  • trbp72
    trbp72 Posts: 33 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    You’re running into the issue of dried vs cooked weight here though. 170g of pasta weighed in dried form would be a massive portion! The information you’re looking at is the portion if you’re weighing it cooked, so it includes the volume of water the dried pasta absorbed during cooking. Some pasta packs will state a serving size of 56g dried weight as a portion. That 56g will weigh approximately 170g when weighed after cooking.

Ah! You see you learn something new every day! Thank you BabaraHelen2013! But I also see...by looking closer at the instructions on the webpage for the pasta (https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254878545)...the suggested 75g of uncooked pasta...which gives you the 6.66 portions per this pack...and the devil's jiggery-pokery ensues again! lol!

But if I calculate correctly...a 50g "dry" weight serving would garner approximately 113g cooked weight at 200kcal...so a saving of 100kcal as well as the opportunity for 10 portions in a pack...
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I’m really worried now. I weighed myself 200g cooked pasta thinking it amounted to 350calories, br that seems wrong
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    goatelope wrote: »
    I’m really worried now. I weighed myself 200g cooked pasta thinking it amounted to 350calories, br that seems wrong

i don't think its too horribly off...56g dry pasta is about 200 cal and cooks to about 170g...but google is our friend when it comes to finding dry info (since i know the package you had only included the cooked weight)