The olive oil problem

Options
goatelope
goatelope Posts: 178 Member
So.... 120 cals in a tablespoon!!

How do you adjust / avoid this? I often avoid it in dressings and just have vinegar etc, but when you are cooking food or preparing marinades, are there are substitutes?

Same for sweetener / honey - best low cal alternatives? Am uk-based

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I don't avoid it. It's a healthy fat. I also use avocado oil, grass fed butter and ghee. You would have to pry them from my cold, dead hands.

I don't use sweeteners other than real sugar and that's for a rare cup of tea.

Agree, I don't avoid olive oil or avocado oil. I look for dressings that have these and avoid the ones that contain vegetable oils and canola oils.
  • goatelope
    goatelope Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes I do lower the amount but you do need some fat for cooking on hot pans etc.

Agree healthy but I find if you’re not careful it can hugely increase the calorie count of the meal.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    goatelope wrote: »

Agree healthy but I find if you’re not careful it can hugely increase the calorie count of the meal.

Me too. I also lower the amount for cooking, if my calories are close to topping my calorie range for day. Often use 1/2 a tbsp.

If Im having trouble meeting my calories for the day, I throw 1--2 tbsp in pan to up my calories.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you're cooking, you can usually get away with less oil or even no oil at all. When I roast vegetables, for example, I spray on a smaller amount of oil rather than tossing the veggies in oil.

If it's a marinade, I usually leave the oil out completely and see how it works--it will depend on what you're marinating and what the other ingredients are.

We eat a lot of salad greens with just a nice balsamic vinegar and no oil.

For baking, though, you may not be able to reduce or substitute for oil unless you're okay with changing the taste/texture substantially. It all just depends on what you're using the oil for.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Depending on what you're cooking, you can usually get away with less oil or even no oil at all. When I roast vegetables, for example, I spray on a smaller amount of oil rather than tossing the veggies in oil.

If it's a marinade, I usually leave the oil out completely and see how it works--it will depend on what you're marinating and what the other ingredients are.

We eat a lot of salad greens with just a nice balsamic vinegar and no oil.

For baking, though, you may not be able to reduce or substitute for oil unless you're okay with changing the taste/texture substantially. It all just depends on what you're using the oil for.

I do much of this. i use very little oil. i always have though.
    LOVE balsamic vinegar in salads. a good one you need very little.
    As a volume eater, I need to make choices on calories. and for me that means often opting for foods low in calorie density. I have noticed this can leave my fat macro a bit too low, so have worked to ensure i hit them (I added nuts, 2-4% yogurt...).

for things that need a bit of oil in the pan, i use a spray and try to keep it as light as possible.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I cook my breakfast veggies (spinach, onions and mushrooms) with olive oil every morning and had to cut back due to the calories. Now I use 1/2 tbsp and add a bit of water to the veggies while sauteeing them.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I do the same veggies with la tourangelle garlic oil. Less calories and great flavor.

Edited to add: I was wrong, it's actually higher in calories BUT the flavor is so concentrated, I use less of it.
  • katiesmom_99
    katiesmom_99 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I would be lost without my Misto sprayer. Most cooking sans baking can be done with very little oil. When I do use, it's olive oil or cooking spray.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I love olive oil. Probably where most of my fat macros go. Mostly on fresh salads.
    I don't really substitute that much .. marinades I don't use too much oil. Sugar/honey I just use less.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I get plenty of fat, so to reduce oil calories from cooking, I use my well-seasoned cast iron pan for some things. For stickier foods, like scrambled eggs or stir fry, I use non-stick pans. I also grill.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    goatelope wrote: »

When I took stock of easy ways to cut cals/ways I was getting too many at the beginning of my weight loss, a heavy hand with olive oil was an easy one to identify. I now use a spritzer with olive oil, cut way down the amount I use in vinaigrette (still tastes as good IMO), or use coconut oil where it's easy to add just a tiny bit. (I also use avocado oil.)

Basically where I would have estimated a TBSP before (and probably gone over), I now use a tsp -- it's plenty.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I have lowered the amount of oil I use to cook. I use about half the oil called for in most recipes.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I cook my breakfast veggies (spinach, onions and mushrooms) with olive oil every morning and had to cut back due to the calories. Now I use 1/2 tbsp and add a bit of water to the veggies while sauteeing them.

YES. I found myself doing this-- cut the oils/fats and adding water. Sometimes that's what you're really needing to cook that darn food anyway.

And sometimes it's just being mindful that you don't need that much oil in the first place! I had pancakes this morning, carefully added very little oil to the pan, and they cooked fine. Perfect actually: I had never made pancakes before today that didn't require a screw-up to start, and I think that's because I used less oil.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I only count it if I'm using as a dressing. If I'm cooking with it I don't bother as I don't think (by the looks of the pan) that much gets absorbed.

We don't really have low-calorie cooking sprays here in NZ.