Options
deciaa
deciaa Posts: 1 Member
Would love some tips on tummy exercises

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I've always done a 15 minute daily crunches and pelvic tilts workout, I change up difficulty sometimes.

I always suggest looking up proper crunches, pelvic tilts, and breathing techniques before starting. YouTube probably has a few.

Also warming up for a few minutes with cardio focusing on arms and legs is good. It gets the blood flowing faster. And I always eat something high carb or high protein after any workout, because the body metabolises the food to replace energy spent. If not trying to lose weight, just want to tone up, don't eat after workout.

Good luck.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Not totally daily, I do give my muscles a couple of days a week to rest and heal.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want to accomplish. You cannot spot reduce fat; your body burns fat wherever it wants to, and all the stomach exercises in the world won't change that. However, you can build ab/core muscles, and if your body burns fat from the stomach area, then those muscles may become more visible.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I assume if someone is asking about tummy specific exercises, that they want some muscle strength and toning in core/abs. If one wants to tone and strengthen abs, they won't accomplish that just doing leg lifts or bicep curls.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    deciaa wrote: »
    Would love some tips on tummy exercises

I actually found that once I started following a structured full-body strength training program, I didn't have to do stomach-specific exercises, my abs got worked just as much. Check out this post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1

There are some programs listed you can do at home that are either all just body weight, or dumbbells.

As @apullum posted, if you are looking to lose belly fat, that comes from eating at a deficit, you can't do targeted exercises to lose the fat.