Weight loss

Hey guys, need some help I have been trying to lose weight for 6months now, use to binge eat but no longer do and haven’t for 6months, I don’t eat gluten or dairy (as I am allergic) I try stick to good protein and high fats sometimes when I eat to many carbs for like a build up of a week or so my arms bloat up a bit? Trying to understand why ? And I am working out every day and have been for 4 months for about 1 and half doing anything between HIIT, strength and cardio I have seen some results I am usually a size 12 but have started buying size in some clothes but it’s soo slow is that normal ? I have lost about 6 kilos but not 100percent on numbers I use measurements not the scales in 4 months? Any advice on losing weight quicker ?

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    You don’t mention whether you eat at a lower calorie amount than you need and if you weigh your foods.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    Eating 800 calories is not a good idea at all.

and depending on how much you have to lose, 6kg in 6 months (ie around 1/2 lb per week) is quite reasonable.

I lost my entire weight at that rate, roughly a kg a month.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I went on A VLCD for 4 mths due to ill health. I am still recovering more from the diet than the original illness. 800 cal is ridiculous unless you are under constant supervised medical care. Just get yourself a dietician and personal trainer and readjust your expectations
  • jessdance1
    jessdance1 Posts: 12 Member
    The bottom line is I am keen to no does it take a long time to lose weight ? Is that normal ?
  • jessdance1
    I have 12 kilos I would like to lose and I am just finding it hard to shift it I have tried keto, 1500 and now 800 and the 800 is the only one that has been making some difference.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited July 2019
    I can't really offer advice on losing quicker until I know how quickly you're losing now. I get that it's not as fast as you want it to be, but there's only so much I'm willing to suggest/recommend.

So... how much have you lost and over what period of time? 6 kilos in 4 months... do you feel fairly confident with those numbers?

As for the bloating... that's not uncommon and should probably be expected when your carb and/or sodium intake varies significantly. The good news is that it's just water weight (not fat) and will balance out if/when your diet becomes more consistent.
  • jessdance1
    Yes it does definitely make more sense to up the calories as I 100 percent want to make sure my body get all the nutrition it needs and not just about the lose weight it’s a overall health. I don’t want this Journey to be for a few months I want it to be a lifestyle change and one where I am getting all the nutrients I need and losing weight.

As for my weight I began at 75 kilos and have fluctuated between 75 and 70 for a while now. Now that I am not binge eating my body has stabilised at 70 which I am really happy I have lose the 5 kilos I now want to tap into the 60s and am finding it hard to. I have been eating well for 6months but have only been exercising consistently for sorry I think I said 4 months but I meant to say 2months. I haven’t weighed myself in a while but have noticed in clothes wise in the last month I have brought a few items in a size 10 instead of a 12. Is it just plateauing ? Need to work hard to get over next hump ?
  • jessdance1
    Sorry I meant to say also I was 75 in jan this year I am now 70 kilos in July was hoping to be just out of the 70s by now
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    jessdance1 wrote: »
    Wow no 1500 is not binge eating let me be more specific i would eat normal regularly healthy meals in that 1500 and also on top eat way to much chocolate it was a comfort thing. I have now broken that cycle 6 months ago, I have done miles of research and know my body type and like allot of person in this world trying to work out what suits my body in terms of food. I’m not stupid I did do some research into the 800 calories before I started and there are proven studies it has worked for short term for some people and they don’t need therapy ? I just came on here to hear about people’s journeys to know there are people out there that do take a long time to lose weight because your always hearing about the quick stories. I would never to harm to my body and the points about hurting my metabolism makes sense. I don’t need to be criticised

I am a bit lost- you ask for help and advice in your OP but you did not make sure to set out the facts accurately - and now you complain of being criticised

People, including me, have given constructive criticism aka help or advice. Which you asked for.

800 calories is not a good plan and you dont seem clear on how you are guaging your progress or what that progress is.

Yes some people have gone on medically supervised VLCD's in excpetional circumstances - they are morbidly obese and have multiple co-morbidities.

They are not healthy people with 12 kg to lose just doing this themselves on the back of "internet research"

• jessdance1
    I am sorry and I didn’t lay out my information clearly, I just such trying to understand this long weight loss journey myself and like one of you said the internet can be full of information so I wanted to get some personal opinions. I undterstsnd with not explaining my story properly it has raised concerns for people about me doing 800 calories and I wasn’t aware that it’s really bad for your body and now I have that information it’s great. I am just trying everything and anything to do honest. I have only being doing the 800 for a short time so I am now going to stop that and go back to my fitness pal and adjust my calories higher. I do appreciate all the advice I just left there were a few comments I wanted to stand up for myself for but now I have need information a bit clear people understand and there is no drama.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Weight loss is a long journey when you do it properly. Of course you lose weight quicker when you eat hardly any calories but you also deny yourself basic nutrition and put your body into starvation mode which screws your body up in many ways. It’s very dangerous and not worth it. Just have patience and get a personal trainer trained in nutrition to help you

Starvation mode is not a thing.