accountability toward more exercise and less late night snacking

Options
My profile says lots of the info I'd put here. In addition to it, I'd like to exercise on a more regular basis. I know that it gives me more energy and I usually feel better. But I lack motivation to stick with it or actually get started and then stick with it. I know I can do it, we all can. And I used to go to the pool every day, so that is a good place to start, I think.

Also, I get a bit hungry later in the evening, early in the night. If I do snack, then it gets to be a ridiculous amount of unhealthy, high calorie, highly processed foods. So I probably want to be sure to start stocking healthier things like almonds and broccoli, or simply not snack after 6p or something.

Often I have the head knowledge but don't always follow that thru with the appropriate behaviour. I did join tonight, so that's a sort of step in the right direction...but only if I keep moving down that road.

Replies

• breathebelievejen
    breathebelievejen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    For me, bingeing on anything makes me feel mentally and physically crappy.. even if it's broccoli and almonds. I want to cut out the bingeing entirely.
    If I know I'm liable to snacking late at night, I make sure i distribute my calories realistically over the day to reduce my physical hunger. It's easier for me, personally, not to need that late night snack at all rather than attempt to have something healthy and controlled. I make sure I'm eating enough calories and not restricting too harshly either calories or types of foods, macros etc through the day.
    In terms of emotional hunger or boredom, something that helps me is to structure my evenings. I can't watch more than two episodes of something before getting kinda bored, getting itchy fingers and fantasising about whatever is in my fridge. Structuring in other more interesting activities helps me out. This could even help you towards your other goal of more exercise- going to the gym, going for a jog etc.. I prefer to start winding down a bit in the evening so a walk or yoga I find helpful. Some others things I do are reading, painting, playing a computer game and I do a meditation before bed. Maybe there's an old hobby you've been neglecting or something new you want to take up?
    Something else I look at is where I'm rewarding myself. If I feel like this binge in the evening is some kind of reward for a difficult day or not eating during the day or whatever, then I will keep repeating the cycle. I would suggest looking at your day and what contributes to these evening binges and then problem solve accordingly.

Welcome by the way! :smiley: