HELP!! DOMS or injury?

Options
I'm getting close to 70 hours post strength workout, and I'm still unable to walk properly, and lowering myself into a chair is excruciating. I'm starting to wonder if I injured myself.

As background, I've been running three days a week for a while, working up to my first half marathon in March. I'm also doing a 500 cal/week deficit. I know that strength training is a good idea, so I started tagging along with a buddy to do the circuit machines at Planet Fitness about a month ago. So far so good. My buddy has been on vacation though, so I signed up for a week trial at an Anytime Fitness gym, and Monday evening went in for an assessment and first workout.

The guy had me doing weighted squats and unweighted lunges, plus some other "foundation" exercises. After the squats and part way through the lunges, my legs turned to jelly. Like I turned to get a sip of water and thought my legs would buckle. Stupidly, I finished the three sets of 12 lunges on each leg, and by the time I left the gym I felt like I was walking on a floating deck or something.

I foam rolled and iced my thigh muscles when I got home and made sure to get some protein and drink lots of water. I knew the next day would be bad, and it was, but I thought I'd feel better by day three. Nope. My thighs feel like they're made of rocks, and I don't think I could get down a flight of stairs if my life depended on it.

I skipped both my Tuesday and Thursday morning runs, which sucks because running is my main fitness goal, with the strength training is a means to support that goal, not detract from it. My long run is Saturday morning, but I'm worried I still won't be up for it.

Is it possible I injured myself or is this just really bad DOMS that should clear up on its own?

Thx.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Give it a few more days. That is was new exercise that pushed your muscles in a way that they weren't used to could definitely cause prolonged DOMS. I've had it for up to a week before.

Injury is certainly a potential cause, but right now my money would be on DOMS. It should start to go down hopefully in a day or two.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Are you in pain or is it just very sore? Given what you've described, both of your workout at Anytime Fitness and your prior workouts, I suspect that this is really bad DOMS as opposed to an injury.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Bad DOMS - walk when you can to get some blood flow in there and aid recovery.

Just try to confirm walking normal. No need making something else hurt because of being used very differently.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Most likely DOMS...you gave specific examples of when the "pain"/soreness was the worst (ie walking up/down stairs, sitting in a chair)...you're using those muscles. When I injured my shoulder, the pain was constant and more intense when I moved it.

I get DOMS 2 days after lifting. Just keep moving and hydrate.
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's DOMS...

The Good News? The more you regularly lift legs, the less DOMS you will experience. You may have some soreness in the future after workouts, but it won't be anything like you're experiencing now.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the quick responses! I will just give it more time to heal. I may also start running in the am and working out in the pm on the same day as opposed to alternating. That way I get my run in before I feel trashed :)
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    Did you fuel immediately after the workout and do stretches?

Yes and yes, although the stretches I did are the ones I use after a run, so maybe there are better stretches for post strength training.
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    Are you in pain or is it just very sore? Given what you've described, both of your workout at Anytime Fitness and your prior workouts, I suspect that this is really bad DOMS as opposed to an injury.

I would say anything that forces me to bend my knees is painful, but I'm ok just sitting or standing.
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    It's DOMS...

The Good News? The more you regularly lift legs, the less DOMS you will experience. You may have some soreness in the future after workouts, but it won't be anything like you're experiencing now.

I like your perspective :) Would you suggest that I do the same weight/reps on my next attempt, whenever that may be, or should I pull it back?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    It's DOMS...

I like your perspective :) Would you suggest that I do the same weight/reps on my next attempt, whenever that may be, or should I pull it back?

what kind of weight were you using?
  • Scotty2HotPie
    Scotty2HotPie Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    It's DOMS...

It sounds like your squat workout went well... So I think yes. As long as you're not feeling sharp joint pain or like you've strained a muscle.

However, if you're still really sore, a light leg workout might help your legs recover first. My only advice would be to stay at it, even if the weight needs to drop a bit. If you wait too long before you're next leg workout, the DOM's may return.
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    It's DOMS...

what kind of weight were you using?

I believe for the squats I used only 10 lb dumbbells.
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    It's DOMS...

It sounds like your squat workout went well... So I think yes. As long as you're not feeling sharp joint pain or like you've strained a muscle.

However, if you're still really sore, a light leg workout might help your legs recover first. My only advice would be to stay at it, even if the weight needs to drop a bit. If you wait too long before you're next leg workout, the DOM's may return.

Appreciate the feedback. How long would be "too long" to wait? I really don't want to have to skip my long run on Saturday, so would trying again on Monday (one week after the leg buster bonanza) be too long?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It's DOMS...

Appreciate the feedback. How long would be "too long" to wait? I really don't want to have to skip my long run on Saturday, so would trying again on Monday (one week after the leg buster bonanza) be too long?

If you're long run is scheduled for Saturday, I'd suggest some active recovery today and tomorrow. Using the muscles will help them loosen up and recover. Foam rolling and/or massage can also be beneficial.
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    It's DOMS...

If you're long run is scheduled for Saturday, I'd suggest some active recovery today and tomorrow. Using the muscles will help them loosen up and recover. Foam rolling and/or massage can also be beneficial.

Any suggestion for what active recovery looks like when your knees don't want to bend? :) I tried to get on the floor and do some yoga stretches yesterday, and my legs revolted.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If you're that tight, you'll have to push through it to some extent. Simply walking might be a good option... going up and down the stairs. Personally, I find swimming to be one of the best recovery exercises, but that's me and based on my issues, so YMMV. Casual bike riding might be an option.

Basically, anything that uses the muscles enough to "warm them up".
  • missblondi2u
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    If you're that tight, you'll have to push through it to some extent. Simply walking might be a good option... going up and down the stairs. Personally, I find swimming to be one of the best recovery exercises, but that's me and based on my issues, so YMMV. Casual bike riding might be an option.

Basically, anything that uses the muscles enough to "warm them up".

Thanks!! I'm in South Florida, so a nice swim sounds like the right way to go. Much appreciated!