Apple Watch or Fitbit Charge 3? Help!

Options
I’m looking to purchase a tracker to get an idea how many calories I’m burning. Any advice on which of the two I should go with? Thank you

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge 3 and like both the style and functionality of it. It seems to be quite accurate too. Just a little under what I actually seem to burn. I do know that others with the same model have had some problems with the watch not working properly. Updates have helped with this for many though.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    They're really very different. Can you get to an Apple store and check out the Watch? I assume you have an iPhone, the AW won't work without. The Fitbit is a dedicated item, the AW does a whole lot more that you are paying for.
  • ready2lose2101
    ready2lose2101 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I love my Apple watch because it's more than just a fitness tracker. I've had it for years and love it.

I agree with the previous poster that you should try one out at the Apple store before buying it to see if you'd like it.
  • vickyg1986
    vickyg1986 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    They're really very different. Can you get to an Apple store and check out the Watch? I assume you have an iPhone, the AW won't work without. The Fitbit is a dedicated item, the AW does a whole lot more that you are paying for.

Do you think Apple Watch is more accurate than a Fitbit? I just need something for tracking so Fitbit would be sufficient for me, I don’t need all the extras the AW offers but would be willing to spend extra if it’s more accurate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    vickyg1986 wrote: »

Do you think Apple Watch is more accurate than a Fitbit? I just need something for tracking so Fitbit would be sufficient for me, I don’t need all the extras the AW offers but would be willing to spend extra if it’s more accurate.

More accurate for what?
  • vickyg1986
    vickyg1986 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I have a Charge 3 and like both the style and functionality of it. It seems to be quite accurate too. Just a little under what I actually seem to burn. I do know that others with the same model have had some problems with the watch not working properly. Updates have helped with this for many though.

Have you had any issues with it counting steps while you’re driving? I was reading reviews on Amazon and a lot of people said it counts steps while driving. It seems like the perfect device on paper but I’m worried about it’s accuracy
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options

Have you had any issues with it counting steps while you’re driving? I was reading reviews on Amazon and a lot of people said it counts steps while driving. It seems like the perfect device on paper but I’m worried about it’s accuracy

There are some added steps while driving but I think most would do this when you change gears or drive on bumpy roads.
  • NewTnme
    NewTnme Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 fitbits. 2 were charges. I enjoyed how it tracked my steps and how looking at the info On My phone was clear and easy to share but it’s not accurate. It counting swings of my arm while sitting☹️. I have an Apple Watch now. I love love love it because it is more accurate. The Fitbit doesn’t seem to last long. I’ve had to buy 3 within 3 years. My AW so far only 3 months. This is just my expirence. Good luck
  • oat_bran
    oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have fitbit charge 2 and it seems very accurate in terms of estimating my heart rate and TDEE. I tracked my weight changes and its TDEE estimates for several months and the results very spot-on.

But I don't know if Charge 3 is just as accurate. When it just came out many people reported it being less accurate than Charge 2. But I assume they have improved it with updates.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 fitbit charge 3 and both of them have given me trouble with syncing to the fitbit app.

When it works it is great and I love it. The device itself is really good. I find it quite accurate. I did an experiment for a month and ate the calories it gave me and I maintained my weight for that month so that was good to know.

The steps I think are fairly accurate, I do get some extra flights of stairs if I drive up a steep hill though. I wear it on my non dominant hand but enter it as being on my dominant that way it kind of evens it out.

But the syncing issues have been a nightmare for a lot of us, what good is the device if you can't sync the data to its own dashboard.

I am getting a third device as fitbit have admitted the two I have had are defective so we will see how this goes.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    Honestly, none of these devices are infallible. They don't measure calorie expenditure, they estimate it, based on limited variables (age, sex, weight, stride length, heart rate, arm movements, altitude, GPS measurements, etc. - depending on the specific model). They're more personalized than the online calculators, but they may or may not be more accurate.

The good-quality devices will be accurate for most people, but further off for a few, and way off for a very, very few: That's the nature of statistical estimates, which is what a tracker gives you. My guess would be that if most online calculators come pretty close to accuracy in determining your weight loss rate, then good-quality trackers will be pretty accurate, and give you a more personally-tailored estimate.

I have a good-quality device (Garmin Vivoactive 3) and I like it. I've "talked" with other people here for whom this specific model is very accurate in its estimates. For me, it's pretty far off . . . about as far off as MFP, and in the same direction (estimates too low).

I think it's important to understand what these devices do (provide personalized statistical estimates) and what they don't do (measure calorie burn). With experience, you can use them to guide your weight loss. That may involve following their guidance . . . or adjusting it, based on experience.
  • MelanieCN77
    edited July 2019
    Options
    None of the consumer devices are accurate like atomic accurate; you learn to work with the data you gather. When I used it for losing with MFP and only added exercise cals to my given basic activity allowance, it worked practically perfectly for me and I lost right on schedule.

Now that I am maintaining using AW numbers and trying to really give myself what I can any given day, i have learned that it overestimates a little, probably to the tune of 5-10% NEAT calories any given day. I work with it though as I am several years deep and though I still track I have a good intuition about where to leave off eating my day's cals.
  • JaymzBr
    JaymzBr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my charge 3. Probably because I don't have to take it off in the pool. I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it gives me a ballpark idea of how much I'm working, sleeping, etc...
  • MelanieCN77
    Options

I think you'd be happy with the Fitbit. It's dedicated for what you need, no extras to work around or ignore, you charge it less, I have to assume it's cheaper, if something goes wrong Fitbit have excellent customer service, for Apple you're gonna want to add on Apple Care. Fitbits have really come a long way from the little clips I used to own.
  • tina9572
    tina9572 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge 3 since about 8 weeks ago and I love it!
    But I believe it does overestimate my calorie burn. According to my Fitbit I burn on average 2850 calories /day.
    I eat on average 1800 /day (and yes I log every bite, food scale etc.), so I should lose about 2lbs /week with this deficit. In reality I lost 'only' 6-7lbs in the last 8 weeks. MPF estimates my burn at 2380 /day on lightly active, which is more in line with reality.
    It does tell me when I'm having a active or a lazy day, and it does motivate me to reach the goals and get of my but to get the numbers as high as possible :smiley:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options

If your only purpose is steps and goals - then that can be a problem.

For the OP's stated purpose of better calorie burn info - generally not a problem.

Because steps is calculated with a distance based on impact seen - so it depends on how long and how much impact is seen. If short trips the distance is normally short, and increased calories barely anything compared to the daily burn.

If a truck driver all day in bouncy seat - problem.

The impact of the step also can be effected by where it's at while driving - what sees the most impact?
    Wrist unit gripping on steering wheel perhaps feeling every hard jolt of car?
    Body unit bouncing as body does in seat?
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    I just read somewhere else that Fitbit now has sleep tracking behind a paywall. May want to see if that's the case.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,221 Member
    Options
    I just read somewhere else that Fitbit now has sleep tracking behind a paywall. May want to see if that's the case.

The sleep tracking in these devices have a pretty poor reputation for accuracy, from what I've read. Might be a reason not to care about the paywall? ;)

(I have long-term sleep issues: Treated sleep apnea, sleep interruption insomnia. My Garmin doesn't see the sleep interruption insomnia wake-ups at all (evidently I don't move enough; normally just look at my wrist watch or the clock, and immediately go back to sleep). It frequently and routinely shows me as asleep when I'm in bed reading or texting - often shows it as REM sleep - sometimes for literally hours at a time. In my scenario, it's laughable, really. I'm starting to think it sometimes over-estimates my resting heart rate by 2-3 beats because it thinks I'm asleep when I'm not.)
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    I don't have actual sleep issues beyond the average poor night here and there, but I am careful about my "sleep hygiene" as little can put a dent in your day like a bad night's sleep. I use a third party app on my Apple Watch and it is very interesting, I'm glad I make myself be in bed the time I do because my sleep is not super restful.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Garmin!
    I had a couple of fitbit, they were fine. Then I got a garmin and i wont go back. I have the vivoactive 3 with music and I absolutely love it.