Maintaining slightly above original goal

2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    I’m personally a fan of BMI which is why going even slightly above is something I have paid attention to. Most people I’ve seen who think it doesn’t apply to them have never been within a healthy BMI range. That said, I’m going to try not to stress on it anymore.

Instead I will continue improving my fitness and chasing those goals over a set number now.

This is me slightly shiver healthy BMI range. Taken at the gym a week agoyn6qj3pga8wf.jpeg

I'm not in a similar situation but I just wanted to tell you that I think you look great. Awesome, actually. Your arms look spectacular. I think that whether you decide to stick to this weight or drop, you'll look beautiful.

You look very healthy! 😁
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    This has been a helpful thread, as I declared maintenance at 153lb 5’9” at the same time I switched to lifting weights /wt machines & Ex bike with increasingly higher resistance/treadmill daily instead of 70 min walks and some stretching/light free wts.

I’m still trying to decide if the increased exercise increased my wt 1-2 lbs or if I’m eating more.

I agree with @SummerSkier that it’s a slippery slope.

I stopped exercising with a bad cold, and wt dropped back to 153 over 9-10 days. But I also are less.

I’m 2 months into maintenance & I keep reading it takes time to figure it out. To remove a variable, I plan to eat at home only mid-July to mid-August & try to determine what I should be eating on avg daily.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    176 was my original goal and I'm maintaining ~180ish. 3-4lbs seems to be the magic number lol.
  • Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    I've been struggling with the same, I called goal at 125 but rapidly gained up to 130 and have been maintaining 128-133 since then which is a bmi of 23-24 for me, I'm pretty sure most of it is water/glycogen/food from eating more/late night snacks because I've been eating right and it's holding steady and has since May so I'm not too worried because stable weight is better than erratic eating. But I'd be lying if I didn't say it bothered me a bit to be higher than I wanted and have thought is "optimal" weight.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    I'm currently maintaining at around 162lbs which is in my maintainance range( I have 7 lb window as my weight can fluctuate) but fluctuates wildly. For the first 8 months of maintainance my weight sat around 154 and then it went up and now it's going down again ( though I am in a very slight calorie deficit atm. In my head I need to sort it so I am literally loosing 3 lbs ). Don't really mind about bmi, mine is in the *normal range* so happy with that.
  • umbramirror
    umbramirror Posts: 256 Member
    While I feel good at my current weight I did decide to go back to a deficit temporarily to drop 10 more lbs. I just want more of a cushion to always stay in my BMI range.

That’s the great thing about this journey and process - we can adjust our goals at any time 🙂

Let us know how it goes. :)
    I agree. It's great that goals are constantly changing. Isn't that how it should be so that we are always improving ourselves? ;)
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    While I feel good at my current weight I did decide to go back to a deficit temporarily to drop 10 more lbs. I just want more of a cushion to always stay in my BMI range.

That’s the great thing about this journey and process - we can adjust our goals at any time 🙂

Let us know how it goes. :)
    I agree. It's great that goals are constantly changing. Isn't that how it should be so that we are always improving ourselves? ;)

I will absolutely update as I go
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Yes. Maintaining IS so much more difficult .

I was in maintenance for about 15 months at 143-151, but I find it so difficult and slowly the weight crept on until I had 40 freaking pounds to lose again.

I’m down 25 now, with 10 - 15 to go. I think my greatest difficulty is figuring out what weight I SHOULD be. BMI give me such a huge range. At 5’10” I get the range of 135-165 pounds. I’m at 164 today and I’m hoping mid range will be good.... not so hard to maintain, still healthy, but I’ll be able to enjoy eating again.

Salt affects me as well. As do carbs. And I totally agree that trying to maintain the low end when you love to cook and eat is agonizing!
  • Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    I originally wanted to be 150 but it's just a lot easier for me to maintain 153-154. If I eventually move down to it, fine, but I don't mind.

This. I can maintain 153 but not 150. Weird, it's only three pounds, but my body doesn't want to budge. I got down to 151.5 when I was sick with the flu, but would rather be well and a bit more rounded.
    I just wish, however, that we could decide where the weight gets removed. I still have a pudgy belly and my butt's a bit flatter, but it is what it is.

My body is the same way, I can maintain 131-133 super easy, Even with a few rare very over days(like 3000) but once I get into the 126-128 range looking at food makes me gain back to 130...
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    I am so glad I started this thread. It’s really reassuring to me to see that there are so many of us who can relate to this.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    I am so glad I started this thread. It’s really reassuring to me to see that there are so many of us who can relate to this.

Thank you! Reading through this thread was an eye-opener for me. I lost 50 pounds in 2017 - took a diet break and planned to maintain for a couple of months before dropping the last 20. I have maintained between 195-205 for eighteen months now. Health is good for a 65 year old and I have let myself get comfortable here. I was reflecting this morning that it was time to get back on program.
    Lynzdee18 wrote: »
    And I totally agree that trying to maintain the low end when you love to cook and eat is agonizing!

Heard that, @Lynzdee18 ! Ironically, I am cooking and prepping food and eating at home more than ever before, but I still gotta' log and measure everything just to maintain my current weight.