Anyone have experience/success fasting?

Options
I've been fasting and intermittent fasting (for spiritual and weight loss reasons) since mid-late June, and doing as much research on it as I can. I've had no problems. But I would like to find someone who is also fasting or has done it. (I am very much an overeater so I also hope this helps me "re-set" the way I think about food) I'm on Day 6 of what I hope will be my 2nd 10-day water fast. My last 10-day water fast ended earlier this month. But I've also done shorter ones of 2,3, and five days. It's been mostly water fasting, but I've also done juice fasts. All the previous water fasts were JUST water, this 10 day fast I have added liquid vitamins (which as nasty tasting as you can imagine:smile: to my water. Anyone have experience or success fasting?

PS: By the way, I love My Fitness Pal....joined several months ago. So glad a friend turned me on to it.

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean by success ...

I went through a phase of regular 1, 3 and 6 day fasting.

I lost a LOT of weight

I gained it ALL back when I started eating again.
  • Jones115
    Jones115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have just started alternate day fasting. I have lost about 6 pounds this week. I plan on sticking to this and making it a lifestyle for myself. It has not only help me move the scale, but it has also boosted my self esteem. Everyday that I wake up I feel better and better about myself and who I am. I have dreamed about going to the military since high school and alternate day fasting is really working to get me closer to that goal! Maybe we can be buddies on here for encouragement.?!
  • Jones115
    Options
    Depends what you mean by success ...

I went through a phase of regular 1, 3 and 6 day fasting.

I lost a LOT of weight

I gained it ALL back when I started eating again.

When you starting intermittent and alternate day fasting most people have said that it has to become a lifestyle change and not a quick fix. You do lose a lot of weight, but you can not stop the fasting and working out after you see the results.
  • LH2011
    LH2011 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Sorry fasting seriously??? Is that even healthy for weight loss or any other reason there are people starving the world over why would anyone choice not to eat sorry for the rant I just don't get it (I do however sort of understand for spiritual or religous reasons but still think its mad)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I've only cleansed once, so not a true fast, but it was for six days and was highly successful for me. I would just caution - 10 days within a month of each other is pretty extreme from what I have read. Many sources I have read have suggested that if you do longer fasts (like more than three days), you should give yourself at minimum three months between such long fasts. So please just make sure you are reading a variety of sources about fasting, I really think two ten day water fasts so close together is dangerous. Be safe!
  • Jones115
    Options
    @LH2011
    Studies have shown that people who make fasting a daily lifestyle live longer lives than those who don't. It also decreases cholesterol and high blood pressure.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I've fasted several times for spiritual reasons...the weight loss is a bonus. The last time I did it was a few months ago and after I started MFP. Iy was an adjustment when I stopped fasting but I pretty much stayed on track and kept moving forward on this journey. I haven't done a water only or liquids only fast in a long time but I would not suggest using that as a weight loss tool. I did not start keeping the weight off until I really started focusing on healthy, consistend eating and exercise.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Sorry fasting seriously??? Is that even healthy for weight loss or any other reason there are people starving the world over why would anyone choice not to eat sorry for the rant I just don't get it (I do however sort of understand for spiritual or religous reasons but still think its mad)

Research Intermittent Fasting (IF). It's extremely healthy if done correctly. A 10 day fast though isn't IF, and that, I don't understand what the benefits would be.
  • tshirley69
    Options
    So does portion control and choosing the proper foods, actually making life changes IN your diet....fasting, while mentally challenging still seems a lazy way (aside from religious reasons) to go about weight loss.
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have heard a LOT of bad stuff about fasting. Everything I have ever read has said it is dangerous to your health. I'd do some research before proceeding--and I don't mean on pseudo-science websites that sell fasting vitamin mixes.

Check out WebMD and other such things. I'll do some research and share what I come up with. But every doctor I have asked has told me that it is based on junk science.

Fasting for religious reasons is another matter. I won't interfere with someone's religious practices. But if you think of it as a healthy lifestyle, you might want to reconsider.

Again, not trying to be Debbie Downer, here. I just urge caution.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree fasting should not be used primarily as a weight loss tool. It may help to jumpstart weightloss and reduce cravings, but without proper research can be very dangerous, and I'll reiterate that even if you use it once to jumpstart, you need to be very careful about doing it again, giving plenty of time in between fasts, so you shouldn't be using it in extreme time frames, like the ten days, to try and drop pounds quickly. As some of these lovely people have mentioned, if incorporated safely as a way of life, it can be very beneficial, but that is a different mindset and should be researched thoroughly. Most people I have known who fast do it with changes of the seasons, as a sort of spiritual thing.
  • saligator
    saligator Posts: 96 Member
    Options

i'm totally with you.....won't it just put your body into starvation mode and mean that it will hang on to every gram of fat once you start eating again? also, think of the nutrients you are missing out on that you need to have healthy, hair, skin, gums etc.....

i understand juice fasting for a couple of days for a detox but other than that i'd say it could be fairly damaging to your body
  • Giantess
    Options
    Jones115: I'd be interested to read the studies you mentioned. If you have time, (and I know we all have things to do!) could you point me in the right direction?

The fasting I am referring to is more the lengthy fasts. I don't know much about alternate day fasting. That seems more reasonable and in line with how we evolved--there might have been days when hunters and gatherers went without food. Ten days at a time though would probably be dangerous.

Off to do a little light reading...
  • Giantess
    Options
    BTW, Detoxification is a myth.

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4083

This article covers it nicely!
  • Giantess
    Options
    Now, I know that people only believe sources that tend to confirm already held beliefs, but this is a good article and should be given some weight. (no pun intended!) This has more to do with long fasts than alternate day fasting as mentioned by Jones.

"The ancient belief that fasting purifies the soul has been extended to the current view that fasting also can purify the body. Fasting maintains and restores health through physiological mechanisms. Included in these mechanisms are shifting physiological effort from food conversion to the elimination of toxins, reducing the immune system's workload, releasing pesticides and other chemicals from body fat, and eliminating the body of nonessential tissue.

It is helpful to look at these beliefs in terms of scientific information about the well-studied sequence of events that occurs when people start fasting. When body weight declines, water and fat, but not toxins, are lost from cells. Toxins therefore are left behind. Nutrients are needed to sustain immune competence, the ability of the body's disease-fighting immune system to make antibodies and other proteins and cells. Immune system failure, not enhancement, occurs when people do not eat enough to provide the nutrients that sustain proper immune function. Instead of reducing its workload, fasting impedes the immune system.

Advocates explain that people feel sick when fasting because toxins are leaving the body. Actually, fasting decreases the immune system's ability to destroy and eliminate toxins. Fasting also causes a drop in blood sugar levels, which causes a breakdown of tissues needed for energy. This leads people to feel sick because the brain and other tissues fail to receive needed sugars, and the body's metabolism is forced to remove the needed nutrients from muscle and liver tissue. At the same time, the liver and kidneys are not able to do their work of handling the by-products of protein breakdown.

Fasting can harm all organs. It is extremely dangerous to health, especially for those who are malnourished by chronic illness, yet some proponents recommend fasting to treat chronic illnesses. The slimmer the individual, the more dangerous a fast will be. The longer the fast, the more life-threatening it becomes. Studies show that when people reach 56% of their appropriate body weight, death occurs. The body cannot distinguish between intentional fasting and starvation.

Solid scientific research does not support the claims of fasting advocates. To the contrary, it contradicts those claims and indicates the dangers of fasting, even with water or juices. Reducing the number of calories you eat while maintaining a normal, balanced diet will reduce your weight. But consuming only water, tea, or juice is harmful, not helpful, to health and should be avoided especially by those who are ill.

Advocates believe that fasting can produce fatigue, anemia, irregular heartbeat, body aches, nausea, dizziness, and other negative effects. They refer to these as temporary problems that precede feelings of well-being, mental clarity, internal cleanliness, and other benefits.

Contrary to advocacy claims, fasting does not and cannot heal medical conditions, assist immune or other physiological function, or play a role in health maintenance. The decreased supply of blood glucose leads the body to break down muscle for energy, causing weakness, depression, fatigue, and sick feelings."

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/340628
  • Giantess
    Options
    This is from Wikipedia, so take with a grain of salt, but it is well-cited as far as my shallow search can tell. It is about alternate day fasting, which appears according to the article to be beneficial. Again, it's Wikipedia, so. Grains of salt.

Animal Studies

The 1945 study by Carlson and Hoelzel, referenced above, found that the apparent life span of rats in the study was increased by intermittent fasting. Tests in which a group of thirty-three rats were allowed the same food ad libitum and groups of thirty-seven, thirty-seven and thirty rats were fasted 1 day in 4, 3 and 2, respectively, after the age of 42 days, showed that the optimum amount of fasting appeared to be fasting 1 day in 3 and this increased the life span of littermate males about 20% and littermate females about 15%. However, the pre-experimental condition of the individual rats was also found to be an important factor determining the life spans. No drastic retardation of growth was produced by the intermittent fasting but the development of mammary tumors was retarded in proportion to the amount of fasting.[1]

A number of subsequent studies have shown beneficial effects of IF in animals.

"Reduced serum glucose and insulin levels and increased resistance of neurons in the brain to excitotoxic stress"[2]
    "Enhance cardiovascular and brain functions and improve several risk factors for coronary artery disease and stroke including a reduction in blood pressure and increased insulin sensitivity" and that "cardiovascular stress adaptation is improved and heart rate variability is increased in rodents" and that "rodents maintained on an IF regimen exhibit increased resistance of heart and brain cells to ischemic injury in experimental models of myocardial infarction and stroke."[3]
    May "ameliorate age-related deficits in cognitive function" in mice[4]
    Correlation with IF and significantly improved biochemical parameters associated with development of diabetic nephropathy[5]
    Resistance in mice to the effects of gamma irradiation[6]
    Lifespan increases of 40.4% and 56.6% in C. elegans for alternate day (24 hour) and two-of-each-three day (48 hour) fasting, respectively, as compared to an ad libitum diet.[7]
    Rats showed markedly improved long-term survival after chronic heart failure via pro-angiogenic, anti-apoptotic and anti-remodeling effects.[8]

[edit] Human Studies

Similarly, recent studies on humans suggest similar beneficial results.

Alternative day fasting (ADF) may produce significant improvements in several markers such as LDL cholesterol in as little as eight weeks.[9]
    ADF "may effectively modulate several risk factors, thereby preventing chronic disease, and that ADF may modulate disease risk to an extent similar to that of CR".[10]
    Serum from humans following an IF diet had positive effects (reduced triglycerides in men and increased HDL in women, as well as reduced cell proliferation and increased heat resistance) in vitro on human hepatoma cells.[11]
    IF confers protection from toxic chemotherapy treatments, allowing higher doses and therefore more effective treatment for cancers.[12]
    IF may function as a form of nutritional hormesis.[13][14]
  • cupotee
    cupotee Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I fast for 24 hrs every weekend and its not as hard as some may think. Eg. Have lunch saturday at 2pm and then skip dinner. If i sleep late than i can eat sunday at 2. Many of my relatives who are doctors practice this, to give their digestive systems a break. It also saves quite a bit of money fr me haha. Key is to not take it too seriously. Dont think too much about it and if ur really dying, then eat something.
  • selhars
    selhars Posts: 2
    Options
    I suppose one person's extreme is another person's out right crazy. I don't think a 10 day water fast is extreme. I'm on day 7 and doing quite well. It's been no big deal really. My last 10-day fast ended July 30, this one started August 22nd. I did some juicing and some days ate full meals in between. One person I saw on YouTube did THREE 40 day water fasts back to back -- separated only by one week of eating/juicing between each fast. She did it for spiritual reasons -- and granted she DID look emaciated when she was done. But it may not have hurt her too much because six months after the third fast she was pregnant! (with her EIGHTH child), and her weight was way down from where she started.

Glantess, I will read the skeptoid post when I get a chance.
  • olive_tree
    Options
    Well, I suppose I'll be the odd duck here.

I have had extreme success water fasting.

I started January 2010 at 205 lb.

I started working out consistently for a month, lost 5 lbs. In February, I did a ten day water fast (this was purely for religious reasons) and lost 15 lbs... and kept it all off. At the time, I didn't know a ton about water fasting, but since have talked to my doctor, researched alot, etc.

I kept working out, but wasn't losing weight as well as I would like so again in June 2010 I did a 10 day fast. I amazingly lost 20 lbs this time, keeping it all off. I was at 160 lb.

Through the last year I have kept my weight about about 155 lb. Losing more through exercise, etc.

One of the most amazing things for me was that during my second water fast my body healed itself of something I had to deal with for two years. In 2008, I fell while hiking and hit my shin really hard. I think it might have hairline fractured or something very slight because from a certain angle if I applied pressure it was paralyzing. But walking on it, running on it, etc was fine. But goodness! Pushing from that very specific angle? So agonizing. At the time I didn't have health insurance and it wasn't a nuisance enough to do anything about it. I know I should have gone to the doctor, but... well, I didn't. Anyhow, during my water fast in June 2010 this completely went away! The weird part was during about day 8-day 9 my leg hurt SO badly in the area where this pain had always been. It would just sting & felt like something was applying pressure. But on my 10th day it felt totally fine again, and still to this day - over a year later - I can apply pressure from any angle and it's fine.

Kind of strange, but definitely intriguing! I'm not saying it's science - I am just sharing my own personal story with water fasting.

I think the thing that helped me not gain weight back is I already had a regular exercise schedule and most important: I BROKE MY FAST PROPERLY, easing my way back into regular diet. You have to give your metabolism time to rev back up again.
  • iAm_misspiggy
    iAm_misspiggy Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm half way through day 2. :-)