Losing weight didn't make me happy

Options
Losing weight didn’t make me happier.

Being able to run for longer than 10 minutes in a row made me happy.

Lifting weights made me happy. Being able to go for long walks with my Mom made me happy.

Not obsessing over every single thing I ate made me happy.

Learning to cook for myself and for others made me happy.

Being able to find clothes that fit easier made me happy.

Spending time with my boyfriend at the gym made me happy.

Being able to eat spicy ramen and drink wine with my friends without worrying about a number on the scale made me happy.

Losing weight was just a side effect of changing my mentality on how I wanted to live the rest of my life

My turning point was going to the sand dunes with my boyfriend's family. I was so embarrassed that I wouldn't be able to climb back up the dunes that I didn't go down them at all. It was at that moment that I knew something needed to change. I wanted to be stronger, I wanted to run faster, and I wanted to prove to myself that I can make a positive change.

Back in July when I was first getting started on MFP, I decided that I needed to change my mentality about weight loss. It's not all or nothing and if you can't enjoy the process, then it's going to be so much harder. I realized that googling "how to lose 30 lbs in 8 weeks" wasn't going to get me anywhere if I couldn't sustain the weight loss. So I lowered my rate of loss to .5 lbs a week and set realistic expectations.

That being said, I weighed myself once a month, took measurments, and decided that if this was going to be long term I can't be fixated on a losing a specific number of pounds in a specific time period because it wasn't making me happy! I wanted to EAT instead of restrict the things I love (warm buttery crossaints mmm). Instead, I learned to love the process of loving and taking care of my body and my mind. It wasn't easy and I had to create new habits which took a long long time, but it was so worth it because I finally feel comfortable both mentally and physically.

Whew, this was long winded. I hope that maybe this can help people who had the same thought process as I did when first starting on this journey (so cliche, I know). You CAN do it!

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! <3
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Nicely said and well done!

akzbk4jqyvtx.jpeg

Me, too!!! Great post! ❤️❤️❤️
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Nicely said and well done!

akzbk4jqyvtx.jpeg

Me, too!!! Great post! ❤️❤️❤️

Me three.

Needed to hear this reminder today... thanks! :)
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Very well said.
    For me.
    Hiking with my wife.
    Bowling with my wife.
    More.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Wonderful, productive insights. Thanks for posting!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    yes! I no longer think of myself as dieting too.. I'm just living my life and making great choices. One day, I just woke and thought.. "I'm done dieting." done done done!
  • GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    @jryepin93 - Just beautiful. Your post almost made me cry because everything you said was from the heart. You have a beautiful soul <3<3<3
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    This is what it's all about. Getting your life back. That's what motivated me too and the rewards are endless.
  • jessicaredman8
    jessicaredman8 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I love this post! So many people fixate on the measurable aspects of fitness instead of learning how to be happy. Well done!
  • Urbancowbarn
    Urbancowbarn Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. ❤️ I really needed this today.
  • CaityGracie67
    CaityGracie67 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! Pretty much what I needed to hear rn as well
    What habits did you implement that helped you the most? x
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Great post! I've upped my fitness goals and enjoy working toward them. I do my best to say yes to new things. I'm pretty anxious about eating well when going out of town but know mentally I need to relax about it.
  • adotbaby
    adotbaby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Beautiful post!
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Wherever you go, there you are.