Doctor told me I had 90 days!!!!

Options
pbpunisher
pbpunisher Posts: 17 Member
So, I'm 52, a pretty active guy for being overweight. I have done triathlons in the past and have been up and down with my weight. This last year had some challenging seasons in my life, injury, divorce, moving... I live in a climate where the sun literately doesn't come out for weeks at a time and it has a strong influence on me. In short I've put on about 50 lbs in the last couple years (note picture before/after not a good one). My blood pressure has creeped up, as well as all the bad things like sugar, cholesterol, etc etc. During my last doctor visit I was told unless I can drop weight and bring all the numbers back down I'm going to be put on about four medications on my next visit in 90 days. I really hate the thought of that, as well as possibly having a stroke, a heart attack, or a litany of other health issues. I don't want to just surprise my doctor I want to shock him. My goal is to lose 40 lbs by my next appointment! oqei4drkxovl.jpg

So here I am, back on MFP trying to reignite my motivation and to take my nutrition seriously. I'm on a three day streak. This is the first time I've put anything on the message boards.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

I admire your enthusiasm and wish you great luck in reaching your goals and shocking the stethoscope off your doctor. 😉
  • Nanaluvs2sweat
    Nanaluvs2sweat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You know the problem and the solution. You can do it!
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 502 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I wish you great success on your pathway to good health...MFP seems to be wonderful supportive and helpful community. I have learned so much reading the topics and responses. I have improved my diet and health reading the "Most Helpful Posts" at the beginning of Getting Started section. Good Luck.
  • pbpunisher
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    At my last doctor's appointment, I had dropped 25 pounds and dropped my cholesterol by half.

Don't feel like you need to drop weight unsafely in order to see results.

Thanks, and great job btw! That is great results.
  • Me4now2Day
    Me4now2Day Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Good luck to you. I also need to lose between 50-65 pounds. I recently lost 20 and feel great. You can this. Just do it safely. 💪🏻💪🏻
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Pain is the precursor to change. I have to remind myself every single day why I started in the first place. Painful knees, joints, feet and self-esteem in the toilet. I won't put any limits on what's possible for you in 90 days but I admire your good decision to kick your own rearend and give it all you've got. Report back and let everyone know and then keep going.
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 357 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I also had a wake up call in February - sky high cholesterol, weight, pre-diabetes. Decided to really kick the weight on my butt in the butt and take control. (I had high HDL and no evidence of heart disease so felt that I really should give diet a serious try before Rx) I have lost almost 43 pounds since then, and cholesterol (LDL) has dropped enough that Dr has agreed that I do not need a statin (he had been involved in some of the early Atkins studies so is supportive of diet/exercise rather than pills). Lowish carb (around 35-40%; not keto); lots of healthy low GI fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, fiber and plant sterols and exercise (cardio and strength training) - diet this time around includes pasta and pizza on occasion so really believe that I can stick with this long term as a WOE!

I did lose 12 pounds my first month (probably lots of water), but it has been probably about a 1.5 - 2 pound loss since then and steadily making progress to goal. I was almost 70 pounds overweight, with about 25 pounds to go now)

You can do this, but do think about a plan that will be sustainable for the long run rather than a quick fix! Hopefully the Dr will work with you if you do not want to go the medication route initially.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm really rooting for you. As others have said, even a small reduction in your weight will have a positive effect on your other markers. Keep us all informed!
  • pbpunisher
    Options
    I also had a wake up call in February - sky high cholesterol, weight, pre-diabetes. Decided to really kick the weight on my butt in the butt and take control. (I had high HDL and no evidence of heart disease so felt that I really should give diet a serious try before Rx) I have lost almost 43 pounds since then, and cholesterol (LDL) has dropped enough that Dr has agreed that I do not need a statin (he had been involved in some of the early Atkins studies so is supportive of diet/exercise rather than pills). Lowish carb (around 35-40%; not keto); lots of healthy low GI fruits and vegetables, healthy fats, fiber and plant sterols and exercise (cardio and strength training) - diet this time around includes pasta and pizza on occasion so really believe that I can stick with this long term as a WOE!

I did lose 12 pounds my first month (probably lots of water), but it has been probably about a 1.5 - 2 pound loss since then and steadily making progress to goal. I was almost 70 pounds overweight, with about 25 pounds to go now)

You can do this, but do think about a plan that will be sustainable for the long run rather than a quick fix! Hopefully the Dr will work with you if you do not want to go the medication route initially.

Awesome Job!! I hope to be joining you among those ranks myself!