Hello!! I’m new!!

Hi! My name is Lisa. I’m new here. I’m from Michigan, 51 and looking to lose 10 lbs. I have struggled with my weight since menopause set in and since I have went back to work full time. I feel like I don’t have the time to take care of me anymore. I have two kids, 1 is a junior in college and 1 will be a freshman in college this fall. I also have two step kids, senior in college and soon to be freshman in college. So yes, 4 kids in college!! You guessed it, stress is a big part of my weight gain!

I looking forward to getting to know everyone. If anyone of the ladies is in the metro Detroit area speak up and maybe when can meet!

Replies

• eoseid
    eoseid Posts: 4 Member
    Hi Lisa, I am struggling with similar weight issues. I moved from Seattle, where I did not own a car to Wisconsin, where I do need a car to get around. And the age thing. Before I knew it, I was 30 pounds up! So, I lost 15, through sensible eating and exercise, then hurt my foot and gained it all back! Back on track now. I am tracking what I eat to keep myself honest and exercising in a combination of biking (in the summer) walking, and elliptical.

I think the stress of moving to a new city where I didn't know anyone and starting a new job after having worked for the same person for nearly 30 years also contributed.

Good luck on your weight loss journey!

E
  • hereslibby
    hereslibby Posts: 93 Member
    Hi Lisa and welcome! 4 kids in college, that is stressful !! I am 54 with 2 grown chidren and a few grandkids now. Learning to be healthy while keeping up with family is always a struggle for parents. At our age we are use to putting kids first and we get what little time that is left over. We have to refocus and put ourselves toward the front of the pack now. Feel free to add me if you are looking for a mutual encouragement on this journey to better health.
    Libby
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3
  • ltumbarello1
    ltumbarello1 Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you for introductions. It’s nice to know I’m not alone in my struggles with weight. Libby ask about adding her, I’m not sure how to do that yet. I’m still givuri g out this app! But I’d love to connect and be a support as well as receive support!
  • hereslibby
    You should be able to add a friend by clicking the name and then sending them a message or by clicking the icon that looks like a person with a plus sign beside it.
    Hope that helps!
  • getrealgirl
    getrealgirl Posts: 201 Member
    Hi Lisa! Here’s some ladies I can relate with. I just turned 50 and live in Tacoma, WA. My oldest son just graduated from college in May and my youngest will be a sophomore in college in the fall. The stress of my first son leaving sent me into a tailspin and I packed it on. Managed to get back in control w help of MFP. Dropped the weight, got super-fit, and then my dad passed away from pancreatic cancer. I was just a mess! Put almost all the weight back on and knew I was putting on and just did not care. Had to get my head right...I finally did. I am back in maintenance now, but I see struggles ahead. I think my oldest is getting ready to drop the bomb on me that he is moving to L.A. and I still have to get the youngest through 3 more years of college.
    Anyone here, please add me as a friend...my supply is dwindling and it really does help. I am not in losing mode, but I have been there on that nasty 1200 calorie/ day more times than I want to count. I’m great support!
  • hereslibby
    Hi getrealgirl ! Sounds like you have an emotional rollercoaster going. It can be really difficult on us moms when the kids grow up. We tend to focus most of our energies on them instead of ourselves. I have been trying to put myself first for a change and the oldest daughter is appalled. It’s a struggle to find the balance, I am trying to get there.
    Feel free to add me as a friend. Can always use new supportive friends. For some reason MFP won’t let me add you at the moment, could be the app on the phone!